This Funeral Ministered to Me

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I officiated a funeral yesterday to remember a woman who turned 90 in 2024 passed away. She was just recently baptized. Her only son is a Christian and when he introduced me to his Dad, he is 88 years old and is now a widower after almost 59 years of marriage.

I was touched by this, their family in attendance and it reminded me of my Dad who will be 88 this July. When I was 9 years old my Dad introduced me to baseball and we would play catch after dinner. Those were good times. These last couple of years I haven't spent much time talking with my Dad.

This afternoon I gave Dad a call and told him that out of all his 7 children I felt I was the one who gave him the most trouble growing up, even as an adult. I went on to say, "I know we've had our many differences but at the end of the day he's my Dad, I love him and my wife and I pray for Dad and my step Mom daily."

I apologized to Dad and he appreciated me saying that, but admitted he doesn't really remember the trouble I caused him. I always thought he remembered those times when I angered and disappointed him. I think what he was saying was he doesn't really forget, but had forgiven me and doesn't think about it.

He felt that way with all his kids but agreed with me, chuckling, I gave him the most trouble. šŸ«¤!!!

Still, it took a load off me. Aside from officiating a funeral I took my hat off and just be a son to my Dad.

God bless you all.

Bob

I officiated a funeral yesterday to remember a woman who turned 90 in 2024 passed away. She was just recently baptized. Her only son is a Christian and when he introduced me to his Dad, he is 88 years old and is now a widower after almost 59 years of marriage.

I was touched by this, their family in attendance and it reminded me of my Dad who will be 88 this July. When I was 9 years old my Dad introduced me to baseball and we would play catch after dinner. Those were good times. These last couple of years I haven't spent as much time talking with my Dad.

This afternoon I gave Dad a call and told him that out of all his 7 children I felt I was the one who gave him the most trouble growing up, even as an adult. I went on to say, "I know we've had our many differences but at the end of the day he's my Dad, I love him and my wife and I pray for Dad and my step Mom daily."

I apologized to Dad and he appreciated me saying that, but admitted he doesn't really remember the trouble I caused him. I always thought he remembered those times when I angered and disappointed him. I think what he was saying was he doesn't really forget, but had forgiven me and doesn't think about it.

He felt that way with all his kids but agreed with me, chuckling, I gave him the most trouble. šŸ«¤!!!

Still, it took a load off me. Aside from officiating a funeral I took my hat off and just be a son to my Dad.

God bless you all.

Bob
Isn't it so comforting to know that most of the time when we feel like we have bothered people, they really didn't think that much of it. Most of the trouble is in our minds from overthinking. Most people get over things pretty quickly and move on with their lives, not giving it much thought. And others are too busy loving us to keep a record of our wrongs. "It is love to overlook an offense." The same is true with God. Sometimes we think that He is still mad at us about something we already asked and received His forgiveness for and even when we go through trials we sometimes think that He is punishing us for things that we already repented of and received forgiveness. God doesn't hold grudges. When He forgives and we repent, that is the end of it. He keeps no record of wrongs. He already died for us to redeem us and set us free. We punish ourselves more than He does.

I was touched by this, their family in attendance and it reminded me of my Dad who will be 88 this July. When I was 9 years old my Dad introduced me to baseball and we would play catch after dinner. Those were good times. These last couple of years I haven't spent much time talking with my Dad.

God bless you all.

Bob
Just imagine how our Heavenly Father smiles at us as we worry about how we failed Him so many times. He will say something like, "Yes, you were a lot of trouble, but you were worth it."

OH what JOY to read this thread. It is so wonderful when we get these GLIMPSES ( even if only for a moment ) where we can simply RECEIVE the LOVE of our HEAVENLY FATHER without doubt or question.

Such a lovely and precious collection of thoughts.

Just imagine how our Heavenly Father smiles at us as we worry about how we failed Him so many times. He will say something like, "Yes, you were a lot of trouble, but you were worth it."
bobinfaith
What a wonderful post and look what a beautiful thread you started.
The love of God is shining through each post. Such a beautiful thing.
God Bless
OH what JOY to read this thread. It is so wonderful when we get these GLIMPSES ( even if only for a moment ) where we can simply RECEIVE the LOVE of our HEAVENLY FATHER without doubt or question.

Such a lovely and precious collection of thoughts.

Good morning, Big Moose, Cosia and In Awe of Him;

I read each of your posts and what you wrote makes my morning and means a lot to me.

God bless you, brother and sisters. Have a blessed Sunday.

Bob

Back