Thoughts From The Book Of Genesis

TBG-1

Almighty God- Planner, Creator, Provider, Blesser

Genesis 1:1
In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth

Genesis Chapter 1 speaks of Almighty God planning and creating everything and then providing for and blessing his creations. His final creation, he decided to make in his own image and likeness and give him dominion over all other creations of his. His provision of food for his living creations establishes him as the Provider from the beginning of creation. We see an Almighty God satisfied with his own work and blessing the works of his hands. God is THE planner, creator, provider & blesser and wondrous are his ways. Praise be to his holy name.

TBG-2

God rested

Genesis 2:2
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

It was not that God was tired that he rested after creating all things. So, was he setting an example for his human creations then? Perhaps! Our bodies and minds need rest regularly so that they are refreshed. A refreshed body and mind can function better than them that are stressed. Over stress of our beings can be detrimental, resulting in physical and mental illnesses. Since our body is the temple of the living God, let's take care of it as long as we live.

TBG-3

God, the life giver

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

The breath of God brought life to the first man created by him and he became a living being. Every organ in his body started functioning simultaneously. And then God brought to him the woman who was made out of one of his ribs; and he exclaimed..." This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man."
Wonder when they must have seen their own selves; perhaps a reflection in the waters.
Come to think of it, our bodies with its varied functioning organs are so complex in its being, it is such a huge miracle that it works efficiently. But for sin, it would have remained perfect without sickness and decay. Yet, there is definite hope for those who have believed in the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross that they will receive perfection in their bodies in the resurrection of the righteous.

TBG-2

God rested

Genesis 2:2
And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

It was not that God was tired that he rested after creating all things. So, was he setting an example for his human creations then? Perhaps! Our bodies and minds need rest regularly so that they are refreshed. A refreshed body and mind can function better than them that are stressed. Over stress of our beings can be detrimental, resulting in physical and mental illnesses. Since our body is the temple of the living God, let's take care of it as long as we live.
I have often wondered. What did God do on the eighth day? Or, are we still in the seventh day?

TBG-4

God The Planter

And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. (Genesis 2:8)

God was in love with his creations from the beginning, so we read in the first two chapters of the Bible. Jesus spoke of Father God as the gardener.....
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. (John 15:1)
This was not something the Father started when Jesus did his Father's will on earth.

In the title verse we read of Almighty God, the Planter.
He planted a garden eastward in Eden and.....
He took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. (Genesis 2:15)

Imagine God the Father watching Adam as he worked in the garden. Moses writes....
And the Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground; trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. Also.....
A river watering the garden flowed from Eden..

God intended fellowship from the beginning and still does. But for sin, the fellowship would have been perfect.

Yet, his intention of fellowship remains alive with the Holy Spirit he gives to all who accept Jesus as Savior.

And these verses from John 14, sums up God's intention of everlasting fellowship with his righteous ones......
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God ; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. (John 14:1-3)

Praise the Lord.

TBG-4

God The Planter

And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. (Genesis 2:8)

God was in love with his creations from the beginning, so we read in the first two chapters of the Bible. Jesus spoke of Father God as the gardener.....
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. (John 15:1)
This was not something the Father started when Jesus did his Father's will on earth.

In the title verse we read of Almighty God, the Planter.
He planted a garden eastward in Eden and.....
He took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. (Genesis 2:15)

Imagine God the Father watching Adam as he worked in the garden. Moses writes....
And the Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground; trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. Also.....
A river watering the garden flowed from Eden..

God intended fellowship from the beginning and still does. But for sin, the fellowship would have been perfect.

Yet, his intention of fellowship remains alive with the Holy Spirit he gives to all who accept Jesus as Savior.

And these verses from John 14, sums up God's intention of everlasting fellowship with his righteous ones......
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God ; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. (John 14:1-3)

Praise the Lord.

TBG-5

God The Arranger

So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. (Genesis 2:21, 22)

God did not want his first creation "man" to be alone and so he decided to make a helper suitable for him. Anesthesia and surgery took many centuries to come in to our world, but here we see God putting the man in to a deep sleep and operating on him. Painless, blood less and suture less surgeries are being advertised these days but the Almighty was at work even at the beginning of all life, setting a trend that his human creations would eventually follow.

All comparisons with humans cease when we think of the final stage of creation of the first woman. God Almighty transformed the rib that he had taken from man in to a woman. Awesome is God, the Creator.

Finally he brought her to the man. God set up a family, arranging someone whom Adam could relate to and immediately we see Adam saying, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man."(Genesis 2:23)

Even today, God arranges people and situations in our favor as we look unto him and call upon him faithfully.

TBG-6

God, The Righteous Judge

But the Lord God called to the man, "Where are you?" He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid." And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?" The man said, "The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it." Then the Lord God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."(Genesis 3:9-13)

4 questions were asked by Almighty God, the Righteous Judge, to his first human creations.

3 to Adam....
"Where are you?"
"Who told you that you were naked?
"Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?"

1 to Eve....
"What is this you have done?"

There was no justifiable answer; Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent, but none of it could save them from being removed from their perfect environment. God pronounced curses upon the serpent, Satan, Adam, Eve and the earth. The sufferings of mankind began then and continues. Jesus Christ came to set mankind free from the curses upon them and those who believe in his atoning sacrifice on the cross are set free. Yet while they live on earth, there are sufferings. Summing this up,Paul, the Apostle writing to the Romans says,

We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. (Romans 8:22, 23)

O, What a glorious day that will be when we achieve the redemption of our bodies. Hallelujah!

TBG-7

God, The Adorner

The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. (Genesis 3:21)

Adam and Eve, who realized they were naked after they disobeyed God and had eaten the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, were clothed by God for the first time with garments of skin. God cared for them even though they had disobeyed him.
In his righteous judgement, he drove them out from the garden of Eden, but before sending them away, he showed them that he still loved them, by clothing them.
The perfectness of their relationship with their Creator was broken, yet it was not severed completely by this loving act of his.

A statement made by Eve after the birth of her first son, points to God maintaining his love and fellowship with them....
Adam lay with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, "With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man." (Genesis 4:1)
No doubt she must have gone through pain during labor as said earlier by God; nevertheless, she acknowledged that it was God who helped her bring forth a child.

The love of God clothes us with Christ and salvation, on believing in Jesus' atoning work on the cross.
This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. (1 John 4:9, 10)

Great is God's love.

TBG-8

God, The Watcher

Then the Lord said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?" The Lord said, "What have you done? Listen! Your brother's blood cries out to me from the ground. (Genesis 4:9, 10)

The first murder on earth had taken place and the Lord was watching it all. Cain had killed his brother Abel because he was jealous and angry that God had looked with favor only on his brother's offering and not on his. Though warned by God, Cain in his anger took his brother's life. Sin had mastered him and he buried his dead brother in the ground.
When God questioned him regarding the whereabouts of his brother, he replied, "Am I my brother's keeper?"
God rebuked him and punished him. A curse was upon him that his tilling of the ground would be unfruitful and that he would be a vagabond.

How true then, what the Psalmist sings.....
The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord is on his heavenly throne. He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them. The Lord examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates. On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur; a scorching wind will be their lot. For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face. (Psalm 11:4-7)

The Apostle John exhorts us in this manner.....
Do not be like Cain, who belonged to the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own actions were evil and his brother's were righteous. (1 John 3:12)

John goes 1 step ahead and writes.....
Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life in him. (1 John 3:15)

Great advice to all of us, who are believers in Jesus Christ.

Back