Thoughts on Jesus and Martyrdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Jesus and Martyrdom

[FONT=&quot]Hey there, my name is Beefy, and I am new to this forum. Hope everyone is doing alright.

I have been working on several studies concerning Jesus and His martyrs for His cause. I have watched many documentaries, including "Prince of Peace, God of War." Very interesting. I have read some books online and exerpts from advocates of just war theory as well as those for Christian pacifism. I have compiled a very thorough argument on the side of Christian martyrs. Christian martyrs hold a slightly different viewpoint than some Christian pacifists. They believe that they would not stand by and do nothing to help the oppression of the others. Their hope is that they would endure suffering in place of the oppressed, to sacrfice their life for the opressed, as Jesus and His disciples demonstrated in their longsuffering and humble lifestyles.

Here is the argument for Christian martrydom. I used the King James Bible as a source for scripture. The words are not all mine. I pulled material from many other Christians, such as my title, which happens to be the title of a Youtube video I watched. Seeing as the Christians whose material I pulled seem to want to espouse their views on this subject to anyone who will listen, I took the liberty of espousing their views for them. Therefore, I do not take credit for this compiliation of arguments and refutations against counterarguments. The purpose is merely to get the word out, representing a strongly held belief of a minority group within the Christian faith. Here it is.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Why do we kill people to show that killing people is wrong? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What would Jesus do?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]
When one of Christs' disciples cut of the ear of the guard, Jesus healed the guard and told the disciple, "Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."Matthew 26:52

Jesus told us to turn the other cheek, and to love our enemies. He taught us to bless those who cursed us. Jesus loved everyone. He never hurt anyone. Neither did His disciples. In fact, they were faithful to Him, even when they were persecuted and killed for His sake.

When Jesus says "Love," in "love your enemies," the text uses the Greek word "agape." Unlike any word in the English language, "agape" calls for deliberate, unconditional, non-retaliatory, sacrificial, all-encompassing, all-inclusive, nonviolent universal love, a love which lays down our lives for others, in this case, the people of Iraq and Afghanistan. Jesus commands us to practice the unconditional love of God, to show, for example, "agape" to the people of Iraq.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The ends (saving someone) are not justified by the means (killing someone), for then you have turned into the transgressor for you perform the same action you try to prevent him from performing. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As a popular bumper sticker reads, "When Jesus said 'love your enemies, I think he probably meant don't kill them."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]Before one begins to cite examples of [FONT=&quot]killing in the Old Testament, remember that the argument was that Christians don't kill people. The Jews in the Old Testament were not Christians. Christ was not even born yet, so they could not possibly be Christians. God physically spoke to the Jews, and He specifically told them what to do, and when to do it. The Jews of the Old Testament were not Christians, and they followed the Old Covenant. The Christians follow the New Covenant.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
When Jesus formed the New Covenant with Christians, [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]the law of old was passed away:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 8:13, "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galatians 3:13, "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:"[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]John 1:17, " For the law was given by Moses, but [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Luke 16:16, "The law and the prophets were until John(the baptist): since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Hebrews 8 "Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount. But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.For I will be merciful to their [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away." [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Romans 7:6, " [/FONT][FONT=&quot]But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Jesus presents the way, the truth, and the life for [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Christians. The only way:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 5:38-39 "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And His disciples follow suit:
Romans 12:17, "Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Peter 3:19, "Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Before one begins to cite this verse, Romans 13:1, "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation."[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]The powers that be are ordained of God, indeed. God works everything for the good of those who love Him, and nothing occurs that does not happen according to His will. But the verse does not say that the powers that be are followers of Christ, or that they are receiving God's blessing. If one follows the logical conclusion that the powers that be are ordained of God, then one must realize that Nazi Germany was ordained of God just as easily as America was ordained of God. Both are powers that be (or were). It doesn't mean they are followers of Christ.

Otherwise the verse would be saying, "Every nation is a follower of Christ," which is obviously not so.

Continue to read the chapter please. Seven verses later, in Romans 13:8-10, it says, ""Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbor: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law." Romans 13: 8-10

It says right here that "love worketh no ill to his neighbor." The action Hitler took, to order the extermination of the Jews, his fellow neighbors, was an action that worked ill to the Jews, and therefore was not an action of love, because "Love worketh no ill to his neighbor." Jesus said to love our enemies, bless those who curse you, and to do good to those who hate you.

It is inconceivable that any human could kill another human out of love. It is not Biblical. Killing other people is not God's law, because it cannot be done out of love, and if it cannot be done out of love, it cannot be a "fulfillment of the law, " because "love is the fulfilling of the law."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]God has ordained powers in place for a reason. Oftentimes, God placed powers that were not fulfilling His law into power in order to fulfill His prophecy, and oftentimes His prophecy led to the eventual downfall of those ordained powers. We are to pay tribute to whom tribute is due, and obey them in power as long as it does not contradict God's law. We are to "submit to one another in the fear of God."[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ephesians 5:21[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Jesus did not come to kill, but to save. And we Christians [FONT=&quot]are told to be imitators of Christ. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Be imitators of me, just as I also am of Christ." 1 Corinthians 11:1[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"And it came to pass, when the time was come that he should be received up, he stedfastly set his face to go to Jerusalem, And sent messengers before his face: and they went, and entered into a village of the Samaritans, to make ready for him. And they did not receive him, because his face was as though he would go to Jerusalem. And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. [/FONT]For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village. Luke 9:51-56[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Before one begins to cite this verse, [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hebrews 13:17, "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Who was he talking about? Who has rule over us?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
He states in the same chapter who it is that
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]has rule over us:Hebrews 13:24 "Salute all them that have the rule over you, and all the saints. They of Italy salute you."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note that he says to salute the saints, and then salutes the very saints he is writing to. The saints follow God, and it is God who rules everyone, regardless of whether they believe it or not. God is who rules over us, and therefore so do His saints.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
What do His saints say?[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds
clip_image001.gif
2 Corinthians 10:3-4[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Furthermore, the disciples informed Christians that "we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" and that the sword we fight with is the "the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." Ephesians 6:12,17[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]God says, "Vengeance is mine." He will avenge the persecution against Christians and their families. It is not our responsibility to avenge ourselves. We live by faith. Jesus told us to be "as wise as serpents, and as harmless as doves." Matthew 10:16[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jesus says to be as "harmless as doves" immediately after he says that He sends us out as sheep amongst wolves. Sheep got nothing on wolves, they are truly defenseless. Only the sheperd defends them. Jesus is our sheperd, and therefore He is our only defender.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]Jesus also told us "[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven" Luke 6:37[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]To not forgive our enemies means that we will not be forgiven by God.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Only if we forgive, then we will be forgiven.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]We are not to judge other people, at all, not ever. There is a difference when one judges an action or dispute, reather than judging a person. If a person lies and you tell them, "You have lied you shouldn't do that," that is acceptable, judging an action. But is you tell them, "You are a liar!" That is a judgement on the person. It implies that a liar is who the person is, that they are perpetually a liar. Only God can judge people, their character, who they are.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]If someone kills or rapes someone, then we"avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." Romans 12:19[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Before one cites, "[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]" Romans 13:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The disciples were not perfect. Sometimes the disciples of Jesus did not always speak in congruence to what Jesus said, as evidenced by when one of them said "And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." 1 Corinthians 14:35[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jesus never said any such thing!!![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
There is a contradiction present here between [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]what the disciple says,and what Jesus said, "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." Romans 13:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paul tells us to be afraid of a mortal man with a mortal sword, who cannot kill the soul.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Did not Jesus tell the disciples not to fear those which kill the body? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matthew 10:28[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paul says to fear man, whereas Jesus says to fear God[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. A contradiction is present. The Holy Spirit does not contradict Jesus!!![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Therefore, Paul cannot be writing this part of scripture out of a calling from the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit does not contradict Jesus.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Instead, Jesus tells them that "ye shall be hated of [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end (aka death) shall be saved." Matthew 10:22[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even John says this in Revelation 2:10, "Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John also wrote in Revelation 13:10 "He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Notice how Jesus said, thousands of years ago, that "All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword." Matthew 26:52[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And in future prophecy for this world, "he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword." Revelation 13:10[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The message has not changed after all this time. If you take up the sword, you will perish with the sword! Jesus does not say when, he only says it is so.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instead, Jesus told us to forgive our brother "not seven times, but seventy-seven times." We are to forgive always, no matter what has been done to us, or to someone we love. In this way, God will also forgive our sins, if we forgive others' sin.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]"Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God." 1 Corinthians 4:5[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]We are not supposed to judge anyone until the Lord comes back again, and then He will judge them. That is what we are commanded to do, by these words, and by "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged." And Jesus said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]Policemen, elected officials, and military soldiers are not above God's Law. If they seek to be a disciple of Jesus, a Christian, then they must also love and forgive as Jesus loved and forgave, and not judge anyone before the time. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What About Jesus' Command to Buy a Sword?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some would argue that Luke 22:36-38 justifies joining an organization of the world whose purpose it is to "defend" a nation by killing those which it views as politically opposing it. The verse says the following, "Then He [Jesus] said to them [His disciples], 'But now he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garments and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.' For the things concerning Me have an end.' So they said, 'Lord, look, here are two swords.' And He said to them; 'It is enough.'"[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let us agree upon what these verses do plainly teach. First, clearly Jesus does say that his disciples could have swords, and in fact He does command them to buy a sword. However Jesus gives us the reason he gave that command. He says, "For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.'" So, what Jesus is saying is that he must be numbered with the transgressors, so he says in effect, 'go ahead and buy swords so that you will be considered rebels-insurrectionists-transgressors when the religious leaders come toarrest me'. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In this way, Jesus will fulfill the prophesy about Messiah being numbered with the transgressors. It is that simple and this fits the context of that passage the best.The most important principle in properly interpreting the scripture is context and cross reference with other scripture. The context of this passage is NOT some political statement, nor some statement about defending a nation. Rather, it is a statement about Jesus fulfilling Messianic prophesy about being numbered with transgressors.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When other's want to kill us for loving the Lord Jesus, then we allow them to send us Home, for to be with our Father is our heart's desire.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Before one says the following: "if killing people is so bad, why didn't Jesus tell the centurion to quit being a soldier? Let us review those verses, Luke 7:1-10:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"And a centurion's slave, who was highly regarded by him, was sick and about to die. When he heard about Jesus, he sent some Jewish elders asking Him to come and save the life of his slave..."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The centurion says to Jesus: "...I did not even consider myself worthy to come to You, but just say the word, and my servant will be healed..."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"...Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled at him, and turned and said to the crowd that was following Him, "I say to you, not even in Israel have I found such great faith." When those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the slave in good health."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is a different issue which this passage could be appealled to by using the same arguement: if slavery was so bad, why didn't Jesus tell the centurion to quit owning slaves? [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Such a point may seem silly beyond the need to consider to modern sensibilities, but such arguements were exactly the kinds used to deffend slavery as little as a century ago.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The New Testament is filled with references to Christian slaves and slavery which doesn't paint it in a particularily negative light (Philippians 4:22, Ephesians 6:5-9, Colossians 3:22-4:1). There is even a whole book of the New Testament, Paul's Epistle to Philemon, which is giving advice to a Christian slaveowner and the slave. Paul has advice on fulfilling the duty of slaves, permitting even Christians to have slaves and going on to say that to even debate the slavery issue is pointless quarrelling, as in this quote from the First Epistle to Timothy. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But Paul later wrote, correcting his error concerning slavery, in Galatians 3:28: There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ultimately, the whole situation is less about the centurion than it is a lesson for us. This is the extravagance of God's grace: that even a slave-owning soldier from an oppressive and occupying military superpower (Rome) can know God's grace.How easy would it have been for Jesus and the Hebrews to tell the centurion to shove off because he's their oppressor. Yet they did not... God's grace is for all people, even our enemies. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But how can we finally confirm that this was His intent and not actually a standard ambivilance towards solidery?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prior to this event, John the Baptist actually does interact with soldiers who come to him asking specifically what they should do. John's response is related in Luke 3:14: And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, "Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." If we can presume enough to suggest that John's and Jesus' teachings were in coherence, then it stands that yes, Jesus did not intend soldiers to continue on in soldiery. The reason for this is because if soldiers followed the command to "do violence to no man," then they would get in trouble with their superiors, and would likely get kicked out of the military, or given a non-combat postion within the military. In thi snon-combat position, they are still commanded to be "content with your wages."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is no Biblical basis at all for "defending" one's family and/or country in violence. The only Biblical defending there is to do is to put oneself between the bullet and the family member/fellow countryman, in self-sacrifice. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]That is what Jesus and his disciples would do, because they say that "to live is Christ and to die is gain."Phillipians 1:21 They hold no value on their physical life, because they know it is only temporary. They seek not to save their lives, lest the lose it, and they lose their life for Christs' sake so they can find life anew.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]Jesus nor the Bible ever once mentioned one's "duty" to one's country or one's "duty" to one's family. Jesus did say, however, that "He that loveth father or mother more than me, is not worthy of me; and he that loveth son or daughter more than me, is not worthy of me." Matthew 10:37[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]Do you love your son or daugther more so much that in your defense of them you will disobey Jesus command to "love your enemy" and to be "as harmless as a dove"? If so, then you are not worthy of Him. Not that we are worthy of His love anyway, but my point is to love God more than we love our family.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Jesus did say that, [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] John 15:13[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jesus illustrated this love through His death on the cross, and He did it without violence. His disciples illustrated this love through their martyrdom, and they did it without violence. They laid down their lives, and they hurt no one. They loved everyone.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
It is written, [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord. 25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Matthew 10:24-25[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just as the servant is not above the master, Christians are not above martyrdom. It is what Jesus did, it is what his disciples did. We Christians are His disciples. "It is enough" that we be as the master,Jesus, and be ready and willing to die for our faith, or to give our life for a family member, friend, or even our very enemy, in order to show God's love. That what Jesus did, He died for His enemies, us, the sinners(the enemies of God).[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Even going to law against one another is [FONT=&quot]forbidden:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

"[FONT=&quot]But brother goeth to law with brother, and that [/FONT][FONT=&quot]before the unbelievers[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded? Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren." 1 Corinthians 6:6-8[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[FONT=&quot]Real Christians do not go to law "before the unbelievers." Real Christians do what Jesus said to do. Jesus said "And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also." Matthew 5:40 [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And in very early Christianity one finds nearly universal opposition to the idea that Christians can engage in war:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We who formerly murdered one another now refrain from making war even upon our enemies."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Justin Martyr[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"I decline military command."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Tatian[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"We are not to draw an outline of ... a sword or a bow, since we follow peace."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Clement of Alexandria[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The Christian does no harm even to his enemy."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Tertullian[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Is it lawful to make an occupation of the sword when the Lord proclaims that he who uses the sword will perish by the sword? Will the son of peace take part in the battle when it does not become him even to sue at law?"[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Tertullian[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"So the more anyone excels in godliness, the more effective the help is that he renders to kings. This is a greater help than what is given by soldiers who go forth to fight and kill as many of the enemy as they can."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Origen[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Our prayers defeat all demons who stir up war. . . Accordingly, in this way, we are much more helpful to the kings than those who go into the field to fight for them."[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Origen[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"And murder - which is admitted to be a crime in the case of an individual - is called a virtue when it is committed wholesale. Impunity is claimed for the wicked deeds, not because they are guiltless- but because the cruelty is perpetrated on a grand scale!"[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Cyprian[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Why would [the just man] carry on war and mix himself with the passions of others when his mind is engaged in perpetual peace with men?"[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Lactantius[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Is the [military] laurel of triumph made of leaves, or of corpses? Is it adorned with ribbons, or with tombs? Is it wet with ointments, or with the tears of wives and mothers? It may be made of some [dead] Christians too. For Christ is also believed among the barbarians. Tertullian[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Modern day quotes (non-Christian)[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Retaliation is counter-poison and poison breeds more poison. The nectar of love alone can destroy the poison of hate. Armed conspiracies against something satanic is like matching Satans against Satan. "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -- Mohandas K. Ghandi[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fighting fire with fire is rarely a good idea. It's much better to fight fire with water. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fighting for peace is like *** (obscenity deleted) for virginity. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The war on terrorism is an attempt to show that we will not accept the use of planes and bombs to kill people and destroy buildings.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We will do so by killing people and destroying buildings with planes and bombs. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How hypocritical is that? To repay evil for evil? It is undeniably wrong![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 118:8 "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 146:3 "Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeremiah 17:5 "Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The question you must ask yourself is "Who would Jesus bomb?" Is one following the example fo Jesus if one is bombing and killing other people?[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As you can see, Christians are told not to take part in the killing or judging of any person. Judging an action or dispute is perfectly acceptable. Christians choose unconditional love and forgiveness instead of "justice", and they leave judgment on other people up to God, as Jesus said to do. The wars of men, the courts of men, and all things associated with them will be around until the very Day of the Lord, when Jesus comes back in all his glory. But Christians that follow Jesus do not take any part in the killing or judgment of other people, because Jesus told us not to.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I tell you? I will show you what someone is like who comes to me, hears my words, and acts on them. That one is like a man building a house, who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock; when a flood arose, the river burst against that house but could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not act is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the river burst against it, immediately it fell, and great was the ruin of that house." (Luke 6:46-49) [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Why does our so-called "Christian nation" cry out 'Lord, Lord,' and yet does not do what Jesus said? He told us to love our enemies, and to bless those who curse us, and to turn the other cheek! That means love the terrorists, bless the terrorists, and give food and drink to the terrorists![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Christ's Response to Terrorism: Love Your Enemies! Bless Those Who Curse You!The whole point of Jesus’ teaching is to tell disciples that their attitude toward "enemies" should be radically different from others. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"If you do good to those who do good to you," Jesus added, "what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same" (Lk 6:32). [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So many people instinctively hate those who hate them and believe they are justified killing people who might kill them or their loved ones. In contrast to this, Jesus is saying: "Love your enemies, as God loves them." [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your tresspasses."[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matthew 6:14-15[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
An example of how Christian [FONT=&quot]martyrs (aka the disciples) would have dealt with terrorists (watch) Type in on Youtube: "Israeli soldiers Palestinian girl"[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
What would Jesus do? The Christians are His [FONT=&quot]disciples[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. What would His disciples do? What will you do? The Lord is merciful indeed. While we were still His enemies in our sin, He loved us. We should ask His help us to follow in His example and love our enemies in turn. It isn’t easy. Our whole culture rebels against it. But through Christ who gives us strength, we can do it. Only He can deliver people from our natural selfishness. Yes, it’s natural for us to be selfish in the flesh. We must trust the Holy Spirit to show love to those for whom we may not feel love for. If we love our enemies and treat them well, we will truly show that Jesus is Lord of our lives.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you read all of that, you are to be commended. Thank you.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Also I enjoyed your article but I would have to say this- God never once condemns soldering or warfare. Indeed a proper translation in Exodus would read "thou shalt not murder" as opposed to "thou shalt not kill". That certainly does not mean I advocate violence towards but warfare is simply not excluded.

Copyright Issues
Rule 8. Any time that you "quote" someone else's works, you must be certain that there is a Copyright © Waiver or reposting authorization posted in the original source indicating that you can quote all or part of that original author's work. Text of copyright waivers, author permissions or public domain statements from source pages must accompany any copied materials that members post at CFS, at the bottom of the copied post. If you just copy and paste text randomly without regard for the Copyrighting © of that text, you bring liability issues into the equation and we at CFS will take appropriate action to keep infringement issues out of this forum.

Sorry Dusty, the reason I chose to paste certain messages was because I fit my views and because I could not put it in any better words myself. In the future I will not copy anyone else's words, due to rule #8.

And Boanerges, I have a question for you. If Jesus told us to make disciples of all nations, then does that not imply that we are His disciples to begin with? Did Jesus hurt anyone? Did His disciples hurt anyone? Aren't you a follower of Jesus? How then can you justify hurting someone else, if the very persons you follow (Jesus, His disciples) did not hurt people? They loved people. How is hurting someone else imitating Jesus?

Beefy- you can quote others under fair usage (within reason) if you credit the author.

Back to your article-
Are you saying I cannot be in the military and be a disciple? Other than smacking some folks with a whip of chords Jesus did not hurt anyone but that does not mean I couldn't be a policeman , do my job and be a disciple.
Jesus seemed to respect military men. John the Baptist told soldiers to simply be honest.
Martyrdom for Christ is a great honor for those chosen to receive this privilege- it is simply another crown to lay at the feet of our Lord. More people are in fact being martyred today than at any time in history. Personally I believe this is reserved for those God has chosen for that honor as opposed to something we openly seek.

I agreed with most the OP.

I disagreed with the attacks on Paul.

Paul was a Holy Spirit lead messenger of God. I see it more and more now that people are seeking to undermine the New Testament and they always seem to start by attacking Paul.

I am a believer in Jesus call to love ones enemies and i also believe in Paul's agreement with this when he said:

2 Corinthians 10

4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

When Obama consented for the Navy to take out those pirates, I couldn't agree with him more. Sometimes the only way to solve a problem is by using violence. There was no sin in killing those pirates who took over that ship.

Paul says to correct our enemies in humility. But when they cannot be reckoned with, as with Pharoah, let them be swept away.

When Jesus came, he did not come with the mindset of establishing a throne as the Jews felt he would. He came to atone for the sins of his people. However, he shall come a second time to execute judment upon the nations and melt his opponents with the spoken word. Is Jesus not also the Lion revealed to us in the Old Testament, rendering to everyone according to their deeds whether good or bad

We cannot simply focus on his mercy, God also has an unrelenting wrath and righteous judgment

Sorry Dusty, the reason I chose to paste certain messages was because I fit my views and because I could not put it in any better words myself. In the future I will not copy anyone else's words, due to rule #8.

Thank you for your consideration .... beefy and I would encourage you to read all the forum rules to be familiar .. Thanks

And also we would love for you to go to the newbies section and introduce yourself . God Bless .

http://www.christianforumsite.com/new-members-welcome-area-21/

Beefy, I am curious about something,

If the thoughts and views of this self proclaimed Pagan you are quoting from are the same as your own, why are you participating on a Christian web site?
Trevor Stone's Pagan Page

All you will find here are Christian believers. If you would like to discuss Paganism and anti Christian perspectives and how they impact our societies, governments, communications, etc, that is fine, but you are not going to find people in here who accept, adopt, or live by such beliefs.

But back to your original discussion...

Luke 22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Jesus wasn't planning on doing a little "whittling" along the journey.

When Obama consented for the Navy to take out those pirates, I couldn't agree with him more. Sometimes the only way to solve a problem is by using violence. There was no sin in killing those pirates who took over that ship.

Paul says to correct our enemies in humility. But when they cannot be reckoned with, as with Pharoah, let them be swept away.

When Jesus came, he did not come with the mindset of establishing a throne as the Jews felt he would. He came to atone for the sins of his people. However, he shall come a second time to execute judment upon the nations and melt his opponents with the spoken word. Is Jesus not also the Lion revealed to us in the Old Testament, rendering to everyone according to their deeds whether good or bad

We cannot simply focus on his mercy, God also has an unrelenting wrath and righteous judgment

A reminder from the Moderator Team

Rule 3.3 The Administrator and staff at Christian Forum Site will not allow the posting of any thread which contains current political content or current political office discussions. This subject matter is best dealt with in other forums because of the confrontational nature of this topic. Any member who starts such a thread will be given one warning as well as the thread being eliminated.

3.3a We do, however, allow discussions regarding political content contained within the Bible itself, such as that in Revelation 13 as one example, as long as only the Biblical texts are discussed.

Thank you all for your consideration .

Jesus seemed to respect military men. John the Baptist told soldiers to simply be honest.
You think so? I agree that Jesus was respectful of everyone, as we all should be. But John did not tell the soldiers to simply be honest. He told them "Do violence to no man."

"And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." Luke 3:14 (Look it up!)

This is not a "simple" command. It goes against what soldiers are typically told to do. It means they cannot do violence to any man.

If the thoughts and views of this self proclaimed Pagan you are quoting from are the same as your own, why are you participating on a Christian web site?
If he calls himself a pagan then so what? Buddists often do good deeds for others, Buddists sometimes say the right things, and Buddists follow teachings that are similar to Christianity. Just because they are Buddists does not mean everything they say is wrong.

Just because I quote a "self-proclaimed pagan" does not mean that I agree with everything he says and writes. At what point did you make that ridiculous leap in logic?

Gandhi wasn't a Christian, and I quoted him. Are you upset with that too?

But back to your original discussion...

Luke 22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Jesus wasn't planning on doing a little "whittling" along the journey.

Nope...He was planning on doing a little "prophecy-fulfilling" instead.

What About Jesus' Command to Buy a Sword?

Some would argue that Luke 22:36-38 justifies joining an organization of the world whose purpose it is to "defend" a nation by killing those which it views as politically opposing it. The verse says the following, "Then He [Jesus] said to them [His disciples], 'But now he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garments and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.' For the things concerning Me have an end.' So they said, 'Lord, look, here are two swords.' And He said to them; 'It is enough.'"

Let us agree upon what these verses do plainly teach. First, clearly Jesus does say that his disciples could have swords, and in fact He does command them to buy a sword. However Jesus gives us the reason he gave that command. He says, "For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.'" So, what Jesus is saying is that he must be numbered with the transgressors, so he says in effect, 'go ahead and buy swords so that you will be considered rebels-insurrectionists-transgressors when the religious leaders come toarrest me'.

In this way, Jesus will fulfill the prophesy about Messiah being numbered with the transgressors. It is that simple and this fits the context of that passage the best.The most important principle in properly interpreting the scripture is context and cross reference with other scripture. The context of this passage is NOT some political statement, nor some statement about defending a nation. Rather, it is a statement about Jesus fulfilling Messianic prophesy about being numbered with transgressors.

When other's want to kill us for loving the Lord Jesus, then we allow them to send us Home, for to be with our Father is our heart's desire.

You can call my discussion "anti-Christian" all you want. All I have to say is, God bless you.

You think so? I agree that Jesus was respectful of everyone, as we all should be. But John did not tell the soldiers to simply be honest. He told them "Do violence to no man."

"And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages." Luke 3:14 (Look it up!)
I looked it up- John was telling them not to rough people up and/or intimidate them for money as was the custom in those days. He never told them to be derelict in their duty.
G1286
διασείω
diaseiō
dee-as-i'-o
From G1223 and G4579; to shake thoroughly, that is, (figuratively) to intimidate: - do violence to.

What About Jesus' Command to Buy a Sword?

Some would argue that Luke 22:36-38 justifies joining an organization of the world whose purpose it is to "defend" a nation by killing those which it views as politically opposing it. The verse says the following, "Then He [Jesus] said to them [His disciples], 'But now he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garments and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.' For the things concerning Me have an end.' So they said, 'Lord, look, here are two swords.' And He said to them; 'It is enough.'"

Let us agree upon what these verses do plainly teach. First, clearly Jesus does say that his disciples could have swords, and in fact He does command them to buy a sword. However Jesus gives us the reason he gave that command. He says, "For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.'" So, what Jesus is saying is that he must be numbered with the transgressors, so he says in effect, 'go ahead and buy swords so that you will be considered rebels-insurrectionists-transgressors when the religious leaders come toarrest me'.
That is a heap of stretching for to make a point.

In this way, Jesus will fulfill the prophesy about Messiah being numbered with the transgressors. It is that simple and this fits the context of that passage the best.The most important principle in properly interpreting the scripture is context and cross reference with other scripture. The context of this passage is NOT some political statement, nor some statement about defending a nation. Rather, it is a statement about Jesus fulfilling Messianic prophesy about being numbered with transgressors.
Your interpretation of the political situation has no bearing on the fact that Jesus did indeed tell His disciples to buy a sword.

From Albert Barnes Notes on the Bible:
Luk 22:36
But now - The Saviour says the times are changed. “Before,” he sent them out only for a little time. They were in their own country. Their journeys would be short, and there was no need that they should make preparation for a long absence, or for encountering great dangers. But “now” they were to go into the wide world, among strangers, trials, dangers, and wants. And as the time was near; as he was about to die; as these dangers pressed on, it was proper that they should make provision for what was before them.
A purse - See the notes at Mat_10:9. He intimates that they should “now” take money, as it would be necessary to provide for their wants in traveling.
Scrip - See the notes at Mat_10:10.
And he that hath no sword - There has been much difficulty in understanding why Jesus directed his disciples to arm themselves, as if it was his purpose to make a defense. It is certain that the spirit of his religion is against the use of the sword, and that it was not his purpose to defend himself against Judas. But it should be remembered that these directions about the purse, the scrip, and the sword were not made with reference to his “being taken” in the garden, but with reference “to their future life.” The time of the trial in Gethsemane was just at hand; nor was there “time” then, if no other reason existed, to go and make the purchase. It altogether refers to their future life. They were going into the midst of dangers. The country was infested with robbers and wild beasts. It was customary to go armed. He tells them of those dangers - of the necessity of being prepared in the usual way to meet them. This, then, is not to be considered as a specific, positive “command” to procure a sword, but an intimation that great dangers were before them; that their manner of life would be changed, and that they would need the provisions “appropriate to that kind of life.” The “common” preparation for that manner of life consisted in money, provisions, and arms; and he foretells them of that manner of life by giving them directions commonly understood to be appropriate to it. It amounts, then, to a “prediction” that they would soon leave the places which they had been accustomed to, and go into scenes of poverty, want, and danger, where they would feel the necessity of money, provisions, and the means of defense. All, therefore, that the passage justifies is:
1. That it is proper for people to provide beforehand for their wants, and for ministers and missionaries as well as any others.
2. That self-defense is lawful.
Men encompassed with danger may lawfully “defend” their lives. It does not prove that it is lawful to make “offensive” war on a nation or an individual.
Let him sell his garment - His “mantle” or his outer garment. See the notes at Mat_5:40. The meaning is, let him procure one at any expense, even if he is obliged to sell his clothes for it intimating that the danger would be very great and pressing.

From Matthew Henry's Commentaries on the Whole Bible:

2. He gives them notice of a very great change of their circumstances now approaching. For, (1.) He that was their Master was now entering upon his sufferings, which he had often foretold (Luk_22:37): “Now that which is written must be fulfilled in me, and this among the rest, He was numbered among the transgressors - he must suffer and die as a malefactor, and in company with some of the vilest of malefactors. This is that which is yet to be accomplished, after all the rest, and then the things concerning me, the things written concerning me, will have an end; then I shall say, It is finished.” Note, It may be the comfort of suffering Christians, as it was of a suffering Christ, that their sufferings were foretold, and determined in the counsels of heaven, and will shortly determine in the joys of heaven. They were written concerning them, and they will have an end, and will end well, everlastingly well. (2.) They must therefore expect troubles, and must not think now to have such an easy and comfortable life as they had had; no, the scene will alter. They must now in some degree suffer with their Master; and, when he is gone, they must expect to suffer like him. The servant is not better than his Lord. [1.] They must not now expect that their friends would be so kind and generous to them as they had been; and therefore, He that has a purse, let him take it, for he may have occasion for it, and for all the good husbandry he can use. [2.] They must now expect that their enemies would be more fierce upon them than they had been, and they would need magazines as well as stores: He that has no sword wherewith to defend himself against robbers and assassins (2Co_11:26) will find a great want of it, and will be ready to wish, some time or other, that he had sold his garment and bought one. This is intended only to show that the times would be very perilous, so that no man would think himself safe if he had not a sword by his side.

I ask you for Biblical justification, and you give me commentary? You think that is the Word of God? Commentary?

If you stand by your Greek translations of the word, "violence," then what do you have to say about Jesus command to be "as harmless as doves?"

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." Matthew 10:16

If you are Christ disciple who is going out to make disciples of all nations, does that not mean that He was speaking to His disciples when he said to be as harmless as a dove? Are you not His disciple? Then why would you not be as harmless as a dove? Soldiers who kill are most certainly not harmless as doves, as Christ commanded.

If you think you can explain away Christ's teachings then you are dead wrong.

Who do you think Christ desires in His kingdom, those who take Him at his word and follow it or those that try to explain away His obvious commandments?

Would you defend your family if they were physically attacked, or would you watch them die? It is my duty as man of the house to protect my family. I do not go looking for trouble, but when trouble comes in the night, my family is defended.

If he calls himself a pagan then so what? Buddists often do good deeds for others, Buddists sometimes say the right things, and Buddists follow teachings that are similar to Christianity. Just because they are Buddists does not mean everything they say is wrong.
I agree.
And 90% of rat poison is good food.
It's the 10% that kills ya. :)

I ask you for Biblical justification, and you give me commentary? You think that is the Word of God? Commentary?

If you stand by your Greek translations of the word, "violence," then what do you have to say about Jesus command to be "as harmless as doves?"

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." Matthew 10:16

If you are Christ disciple who is going out to make disciples of all nations, does that not mean that He was speaking to His disciples when he said to be as harmless as a dove? Are you not His disciple? Then why would you not be as harmless as a dove? Soldiers who kill are most certainly not harmless as doves, as Christ commanded.

If you think you can explain away Christ's teachings then you are dead wrong.

Who do you think Christ desires in His kingdom, those who take Him at his word and follow it or those that try to explain away His obvious commandments?

The pot calls the kettle black?:p
Honestly you did pretty much the same dancing around Jesus commands to for His disciples to buy swords- His Words not mine.
Anyway I am willing to agree to disagree. I am not in the habit of debating argumentative spirits as I do not see Jesus in that.
While I will be monitoring this thread as a Mod I won't be involved in it personally from here on out.
Many blessings ,
brother Larry.

PS: You never asked me for "Biblical justification" and I did give not only the definition you asked me to "look up" but scripture as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back