Thoughts on Praise

Thoughts on Praise- 1

Then the man bowed down and worshiped the LORD, saying, "Praise be to the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who has not abandoned his kindness and faithfulness to my master. As for me, the Lord has led me on the journey to the house of my master's relatives." (Genesis 24:26, 27)

Abraham's chief servant had been commissioned by his master to go to his country and to his own relatives to get a wife for his son Isaac. The journey ended with the servant landing up in the house of his master's relatives. His prayer for God to grant a suitable wife for Isaac materialized sooner than he thought. And that's why he bowed down and worshiped the Lord and gave him praise. He praised God for not abandoning his kindness and faithfulness to his master and for bringing him to the right place.

Our God is a prayer answering God and like Abraham's chief servant, we must also praise the Lord for making our journeys successful. We must praise him for not abandoning his kindness and faithfulness to us.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you for making my journeys successful and for not abandoning your kindness and faithfulness to me.

Thoughts on Praise - 2

She conceived again, and when she gave birth to a son she said, "This time I will praise the LORD." So she named him Judah. Then she stopped having children. (Genesis 29:35)

Jacob had 2 wives, Leah and Rachel. He loved Rachel more than Leah. When the Lord saw that Leah was not loved, he opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. Leah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Reuben, for she said, "It is because the Lord has seen my misery. Surely my husband will love me now." She conceived again, and when she gave birth to a son she said, "Because the Lord heard that I am not loved, he gave me this one too." So she named him Simeon. Again she conceived, and when she gave birth to a son she said, "Now at last my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons." So he was named Levi.

Leah had great expectations from Jacob that he would love her because she had borne him not one, but three sons. Sadly, that was not the case.

She conceived again, and when she gave birth to a son she said, "This time I will praise the Lord." So she named him Judah........(Genesis 29:35)

Leah finally realized there was one who would love her at all times and that she should lean on him continually to have true happiness. When she gave birth to her fourth son, she took a decision to praise the Lord instead of desiring her husband's affection. She named her son Judah which means Praise.

God cares for us even though sometimes people around us may not care. We must praise him for that.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you love me and care for me at all times.

Thoughts on Praise- 3

The Lord is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him. (Exodus 15:2)

There was singing and dancing in the Israelite camp. God had destroyed Pharaoh and his army. God had split the Red Sea for his people so that they could walk across. Moses praised God for the great miracles he had done for his people. The song came naturally to him and the Israelites because they had experienced the mighty deeds of the Lord first-hand .

Moses proclaimed, "Who among the gods is like you, O LORD? Who is like you - majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders? (Exodus 15:11)

Moses declared, "In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling. (Exodus 15:13)

Mighty are the deeds of God in our lives too. He deserves our praise day in and day out. He destroys the evil forces which try to create havoc in our lives. He opens up unknown ways for our deliverance. He puts a song in our mouth. He is glorious.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you defeat the evil forces that rise up against me time and again. I praise you because you open up ways unknown to me for my deliverance.

Thoughts on Praise- 4

He said, "Praise be to the Lord, who rescued you from the hand of the Egyptians and of Pharaoh, and who rescued the people from the hand of the Egyptians. (Exodus 18:10)

Moses told his father-in-law Jethro about everything the Lord had done to Pharaoh and the Egyptians for Israel's sake and about all the hardships they had met along the way and how the Lord had saved them. Jethro was delighted to hear about all the good things the Lord had done for Israel in rescuing them from the hand of the Egyptians.

Jethro praised God because God had rescued Moses and the Israelites from Pharoah and the Egyptians. He brought a burnt offering and other sacrifices to God. He acknowledged that omnipotence of God and said,
"Now I know that the Lord is greater than all other gods, for he did this to those who had treated Israel arrogantly." (Exodus 18:11)

We read in the book of Revelation of a proclamation by God. He says,
"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty." (Revelation 1:8)

The four living creatures around the throne of God in heaven praise and glorify God day and night. They never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." (Revelation 4:8)

Do you acknowledge that your God is Almighty and that he has no equal?

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you are Almighty and you rescue me from the power of evil.

Thoughts on Praise- 5

In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the LORD. (Leviticus 19:24)

God gave the Israelites a specific rule regarding fruit trees that the Israelites would plant in the promised land of Canaan. He said,
When you enter the land and plant any kind of fruit tree, regard its fruit as forbidden. For three years you are to consider it forbidden ; it must not be eaten. In the fourth year all its fruit will be holy, an offering of praise to the Lord. But in the fifth year you may eat its fruit. In this way your harvest will be increased. I am the Lord your God. (Leviticus 19:23-25)

Notice that God spoke in specifics. The first three years they were not to eat the fruit. The fruit of the fourth year would be holy and was to be an offering of praise to the Lord. And they were given permission to eat the fruit from the fifth year onwards.

Why all this trouble? Only for God to bless and increase their harvest. An offering of praise was what God desired.

The writer of the book of Hebrews exhorts us in this manner:Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that confess his name. (Hebrews 13:15)

A continual offer of praise? Is that possible? Definitely!
Why not try it if you have still not tried it?

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because I have access to you at all times. I praise you because you accept my praises.

Thoughts on Praise- 6

When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the Lord your God for the good land he has given you. (Deuteronomy 8:10)

This was an exhortation from God through Moses to the Israelites before they entered the promised land of Canaan. The Israelites had craved for food in the wilderness. They had murmured against God and Moses. God had given them manna and quails for food.
He had provided them with water miraculously time and again. Some of the Israelites did not follow the commands regarding the manna. They were obstinate and doubted the faithfulness of God. Yet he was merciful to them that he did not destroy them all, though some had to pay dearly for their trespasses.

Must we praise God for the food and water that he gives us? You bet, we must. There are millions who starve everyday because of poverty or famine or natural disasters, so when we eat food or drink water we must be thankful to our Provider and praise him for it.

There are many who suffer from many sicknesses and can't find satisfaction after they eat food. If you are able to eat food and find satisfaction from it, you must praise the Lord.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you for the food and water that you give. I praise you for giving me satisfaction when I eat. I praise you for the promise of eternal life.

Thoughts on Praise- 7

He is your praise; he is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes. (Deuteronomy 10:21)

The book of Deuteronomy, known as Devarim in Hebrew, is a review of the laws in the previous 3 books of the Bible, namely Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers. Traditionally, it's contents were spoken by Moses during the last 37 days of his life, after which he died in the 40th year following the exodus from Egypt.

The last 40 years of Moses' life was so very different from the first and second 40 years. The first 40 years he spent in Pharaoh's palace, the second 40 years in Midian where he married and had two children and the last 40 years in the wilderness, travelling to and leading the Israelites to the promised land. But the experiences of the first 80 years of his life was nothing compared to the awesome experiences in the last 40 years. Moses had close fellowship with God as a man has with his friend.

The Israelites on the other hand were out of slavery and bondage and experienced the mighty acts of God on their behalf. Moses recounted the great works of God and told them that "God is their praise."

It's always good to reminisce God's wonders on our behalf and praise him for it.

Is God your praise too? Or have you given that place to someone else? Perhaps a friend or a member of your family or a relative? Remember, no one can love you more than God does, so make him your praise, if you haven't already done so.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you are my praise. I praise you for your great and awesome wonders on my behalf.

Thoughts on Praise- 8

I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God! (Deuteronomy 32:3)

Moses was 120 years old. It had been a long journey for him leading the people of God through the wilderness for the last 40 years of his life. Moses proclaimed that God's works are perfect and all his ways are just. He confessed that God is faithful, he does no wrong and that he is upright and just.

Moses reminded the Israelites the goodness of God in the midst of their unfaithfulness.
"For the Lord's portion is his people, Jacob his allotted inheritance. In a desert land he found him, in a barren and howling waste. He shielded him and cared for him; he guarded him as the apple of his eye, like an eagle that stirs up its nest and hovers over its young, that spreads its wings to catch them and carries them on its pinions." (Deuteronomy 32:11)

God sheilded them and cared for them. He guarded them as the apple of his eye. He made his people ride on the heights of the land and fed them with the fruit of the fields. He nourished them with honey from the rock, and with oil from the flinty crag, with curds and milk from herd and flock and with fattened lambs and goats, with choice rams of Bashan and the finest kernels of wheat.

God is your shield if you have trusted in him. He will guard you as the apple of his eye. Praise him for his faithfulness.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because your works are perfect, your ways are just, you are faithful and you do no wrong. I praise you because you are upright.

Thoughts on Praise- 9

On that day Deborah and Barak son of Abinoam sang this song: "When the princes in Israel take the lead, when the people willingly offer themselves - praise the Lord!" (Judges 5:1, 2)

Willingly offering ourselves......is what God desires from each one of us.
There was a call from Deborah the prophetess and Barak to the tribes of Israel to assemble for war against the Canaanite king and his army.
Some of them were reluctant to go but others offered themselves willingly.

Deborah sang regarding their willingness and reluctance in this manner:
The princes of Issachar were with Deborah; yes, Issachar was with Barak, rushing after him into the valley. In the districts of Reuben there was much searching of heart.
Why did you stay among the campfires to hear the whistling for the flocks? In the districts of Reuben there was much searching of heart. Gilead stayed beyond the Jordan. And Dan, why did he linger by the ships? Asher remained on the coast and stayed in his coves. The people of Zebulun risked their very lives; so did Naphtali on the heights of the field. (Judges 5:15-18)

Deborah again praised the Lord for those who were willing.
My heart is with Israel's princes, with the willing volunteers among the people. Praise the Lord! (Judges 5:9)

Are you offering yourself willingly to do the work that the Lord has called you to? Or are you doing it reluctantly?

Praise God if you are doing it willingly. If not, you need to search your heart as to why you are reluctant after all that he has done for you.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you chose me to be your aroma to a dying world.

Thoughts on Praise- 10

The women said to Naomi: "Praise be to the Lord, who this day has not left you without a kinsman-redeemer. May he become famous throughout Israel!" (Ruth 4:14)

Naomi had suffered much. Her husband and 2 sons had died in a foreign land and she had come back to Bethlehem as a woman without much to hope in, except Ruth, one of her daughter-in-law's who chose to stay beside her, come what may.

We read in Ruth Ch.1.
So the two women went on until they came to Bethlehem. When they arrived in Bethlehem, the whole town was stirred because of them, and the women exclaimed, "Can this be Naomi?" "Don't call me Naomi, " she told them. "Call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter. (Ruth 1:19, 20)

But then things changed dramatically for Naomi and Ruth. Ruth went to pick up leftover grain from the fields and found herself working in a field belonging to Boaz, a relative of Naomi's husband Elimelech. Boaz was kind to her and told her:
"My daughter, listen to me. Don't go and glean in another field and don't go away from here. Stay here with my servant girls. (Ruth 2:8)

Boaz became Naomi and Ruth's kinsman-redeemer and he married Ruth, who gave birth to a son whom they named Obed. Naomi found comfort and joy in her grief from Ruth, Boaz and Obed.

The women praised God for his goodness to Naomi by granting her a kinsman-redeemer.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you comfort me in my sufferings in ways only you can. I praise you because you grant me joy when I am grieved.

Thoughts on Praise- 11

David said to Abigail, "Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel, who has sent you today to meet me." (1 Samuel 25:32)

David gives praise and credit to God for sending Abigail, Nabal's wife to him; for if she had not come, David would have killed all the males in Nabal's entire family for treating him with disdain. In David's own words.....
May you be blessed for your good judgment and for keeping me from bloodshed this day and from avenging myself with my own hands. Otherwise, as surely as the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, who has kept me from harming you, if you had not come quickly to meet me, not one male belonging to Nabal would have been left alive by daybreak. (1 Samuel 25:33, 34)

When Joseph's brother's decided to kill him, God touched Reuben's heart and he said,
"Let's not take his life," "Don't shed any blood. Throw him into this cistern here in the desert, but don't lay a hand on him."
Later Judah spoke and said,
"What will we gain if we kill our brother and cover up his blood? Come, let's sell him to the Ishmaelites and not lay our hands on him; after all, he is our brother, our own flesh and blood." His brothers agreed.
Thus started Joseph's journey to Egypt under God's watchful eyes.

God arranges many things for us, though we do not often realise it or acknowledge it. He often works quietly and circumstances that we think as coincidences are matters perfectly planned by God for our betterment.

Jesus said,
"My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working." (John 5:17)

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you are always watching over me and working towards the fulfillment of your plans for my life.

Thoughts on Praise-12

When David heard that Nabal was dead, he said, "Praise be to the LORD, who has upheld my cause against Nabal for treating me with contempt. He has kept his servant from doing wrong and has brought Nabal's wrongdoing down on his own head.".... (1 Samuel 25:39)

Isnt' it wonderful that God upholds our cause? God restrained David from doing wrong and he does that in our lives too as believers. The Psalmist says in Psalm 125,
The scepter of the wicked will not remain over the land allotted to the righteous, for then the righteous might use their hands to do evil. (v3)

Often evil forces instigate us to do wrong, but the Holy Spirit is the one who restrains us. When other people wrong us, we may feel like retaliating with words or actions that God would not approve of. In these circumstances, the Counsellor, the Holy Spirit restrains us from doing wrong. He reminds us of what God would want us to say or do in those circumstances. If we do not follow the advice given to us by the Holy Spirit, then we bind God's hands from restraining those who work against us. But if follow the leading of the Holy Spirit and restrain ourselves, then God will deal in his inimitable ways with those who work against us.

David sang many a time regarding God upholding his cause.
My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. (Psalm 63:8)
I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy. (Psalm 140:12)
The LORD upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down. (Psalm 145:14)

We must be thankful to God always for he upholds our cause at all times.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you uphold my cause and keep me from doing wrong.

Thoughts on Praise- 13

I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies. (2 Samuel 22:4)

David sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. (2 Samuel 22:1)
God is worthy of praise and the reasons for it are innumerable.
But in this song, David specifically praises God for delivering him from the hands of his enemies, especially from Saul.

Time and again God has delivered you and me from the enemy of our souls-satan.
We can sing along with the psalmist,
He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. (2 Samuel 22:17, 18)

The Lord not only rescues us from evil satanic forces but he also arms us with strength for battle to rout the enemy. Great is his faithfulness.

David again praises God while he sings this song saying,
The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior! (2 Samuel 22:47)
...You exalted me above my foes; from violent men you rescued me. Therefore I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations; I will sing praises to your name. (2 Samuel 22:49, 50)

Yes, the Lord is worthy of praise and we as believers must give him praise from the depths of our hearts.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you rescue me from evil satanic forces and strengthen me to war against them by your power. Truly, you are worthy of praise.

Thoughts on Praise-14

The Lord lives! Praise be to my Rock! Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior! (2 Samuel 22:47)

How wonderful it is to worship and serve a living God! A privilege that many don't have has been given to you as a child of God.
The Old Testament saint Job was sure about him serving a living God. He said,
I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. (Job 19:25)

The Psalmist outlined the characteristics of them that are not living gods. He said,
"But their idols are silver and gold, made by the hands of men. They have mouths, but cannot speak, eyes, but they cannot see; they have ears, but cannot hear, noses, but they cannot smell; they have hands, but cannot feel, feet, but they cannot walk; nor can they utter a sound with their throats." (Psalm 115:4-7)
He also spoke about the living God whom he served and said,
"Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him." (Psalm 115:3)

King David experienced the living presence of God in his life and praised God saying,
"Exalted be God, the Rock, my Savior."

The Apostle Peter writes,
"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy..." (1 Peter 1:8)
It's true that we have not seen our God (well, most of us haven't);yet we believe. How wonderful a faith that is. Praise God. We are also sure that we shall see him some day. How glorious a hope that it. Praise God.
Like David we too must praise the Lord, for he is the Rock, our Savior.

Praise: O Triune God, I praise you because you live and you have given me the privilege to know you and live for you. I exalt you for you are the Rock, my Savior.

Back