EXAMINE - what the passage says before you decide what it means.
* Highlight the word "First" in v. 8. In the margin write "above all".
* Box "because" indicating reason in v. 8.
* Circle "all over the world" to note hyperbole in v. 9. * Box "so that" indicating purpose in v. 11.
* Underline the phrase "some spiritual gift" in v. 11. * Circle "mutually encouraged" in v. 12.
* Underline "have been prevented" in v. 13. In the margin write "See Ro 15:20-24".
* Box "in order that" indicating desired result in v. 13.
* Highlight each occurrence of the word "I" along with the verb that follows.
* Double underline the phrase "preach the gospel" in v. 15.
1. What does Paul say about the faith of the Roman believers? Is it meant to be positive or negative? Explain.
2. What character/personality traits of Paul do you see in these passages?
3. Reread vv. 9-10. Do Paul's words express affection, concern or both? Explain.
EMBRACE - how God spoke to you through his word
Pick a verse or verses from the passage to memorize or think about this week. Practice SOAP, REAP or LECTIO DIVINIA METHODS ON THOSE VERSES.