Tithe Doctrine/Principle

He gave 10 to Moses on the tablets of stone cos He couldn't fit all the others. Those are like the fine print in the manual he got Moses to write after.
If you read the Bible, you can count 10 of them. Because they are the first 10.

I mean no big deal if you didn't know this, but I just keep it simple. I'm not a nitpicker.

When Jesus asked the rich young ruler what the commandments were, he rattled off the first ones that we know from the ten commandments. He said he kept them all. He didn't rattle of 613 commandments and then boast "I Kept ALL of them' but he could have just to, you know, be pedantic and show-offy.

Note that Jesus didn't say well now now young rich ruler, that's only ten..what about all the other 603?

He gave 10 to Moses on the tablets of stone cos He couldn't fit all the others. Those are like the fine print in the manual he got Moses to write after.

I mean no big deal if you didn't know this, but I just keep it simple. I'm not a nitpicker.

When Jesus asked the rich young ruler what the commandments were, he rattled off the first ones that we know from the ten commandments. He said he kept them all. He didn't rattle of 613 commandments and then boast "I Kept ALL of them' but he could have just to, you know, be pedantic and show-offy.

Note that Jesus didn't say well now now young rich ruler, that's only ten..what about all the other 603?

Didn't that movie "The Life of Brian" show Moses coming down from the mountain with 15 commandments, one falling and shattering...?

They sometimes have a warped sense of humor that is sometimes funny.

MM

Much of the 613 had to do with the Levitical Priesthood and so didn’t pertain to him. Others, were an elaboration of the 10.

Didn't that movie "The Life of Brian" show Moses coming down from the mountain with 15 commandments, one falling and shattering...?

MM
When I first saw that movie, I thought it was really strange, but then I thought it's just British! (British have this dry sense of humour)
I remember the bit about when they asked 'What have the Romans ever done for us?' And they were supposed to mock the Romans, but they ended up listing all the good things like, indoor plumbing, sanitation, roads, the aqueducts, wine etc.

Apparently the Dewey Decimal System (invented by American Melville Dewey in the 1800s) is very outdated and some librarians are rebelling against it. But for some it's too late because their books are already labelled and its too much a of a job to relabel everything.

Did you know 666 call number is where ceramic books are.
220 is where the Bible is.

But nobody really needs to know this except for librarians who shelve the books.

On tithes, the Levites had no land, so they couldn't grow anything, and they spent all their time upkeeping the temple, that's why everyone gave a tenth of their produce (fruit, animals, veges) so that they could eat. That's all it is. They stored them in the storehouse.

I think if you produce anything it's best practiced to keep 10th aside for those who have none.
When I do my library stats, and do a stock take, my loss each year is generally 2% of the total number of books. I am sure I give away around 10% of books to those who have none as giveaways.

I don't know how govts of countries that exports goods work out their quotas, but imagine in Israel they all have land and are now self sufficient in food, except for the Levites. They don't need to trade or buy it from elsewhere. They can give those who have no arable land 10% of their produce. It's a gift, but it's also a provision.

When Jesus was talking about Pharisees tithing their mint and cumin, well, I think maybe that was all the Pharisess could give lol. They were not tithing their 10th fatted calf or every 10th sheave of wheat that's for sure.

Apparently the Dewey Decimal System (invented by American Melville Dewey in the 1800s) is very outdated and some librarians are rebelling against it. But for some it's too late because their books are already labelled and its too much a of a job to relabel everything.

Did you know 666 call number is where ceramic books are.
220 is where the Bible is.

But nobody really needs to know this except for librarians who shelve the books.

On tithes, the Levites had no land, so they couldn't grow anything, and they spent all their time upkeeping the temple, that's why everyone gave a tenth of their produce (fruit, animals, veges) so that they could eat. That's all it is. They stored them in the storehouse.

I think if you produce anything it's best practiced to keep 10th aside for those who have none.
When I do my library stats, and do a stock take, my loss each year is generally 2% of the total number of books. I am sure I give away around 10% of books to those who have none as giveaways.

I don't know how govts of countries that exports goods work out their quotas, but imagine in Israel they all have land and are now self sufficient in food, except for the Levites. They don't need to trade or buy it from elsewhere. They can give those who have no arable land 10% of their produce. It's a gift, but it's also a provision.

When Jesus was talking about Pharisees tithing their mint and cumin, well, I think maybe that was all the Pharisess could give lol. They were not tithing their 10th fatted calf or every 10th sheave of wheat that's for sure.

Actually, the Levites handed over to the priests the best of what they received, or at least a tenth of the tithe they collected. That's what they priests would use for the Heave Offerings, Wine Offerings, etc. For me, it's at times an unsuccessful exercise convincing some people in the past that wages in exchange for labor and/or skills are nothing akin to increase from fields, vineyards, orchards, flocks and herds. We have control over our wages, and how much we make when negotiating with employers and/or suppliers, etc. God was and is in control of all that arises from any crop or livestock. No man can negotiate in the increase that only the Lord is in control.

You would be amazed at how easily that distinction escapes most who subscribe the idea of a tithe requirement today from wages and earnings. Being brainwashed by those dudes behind pulpits, pounding them for emphasis, demanding how so many of those sitting out there in the audience aren't faithfully tithing of their "increase" from their wages and earnings... Oh, man, that is a prime indicator for those men who know nothing about the scriptures other than those parts that benefit them and their careers. Even prominent radio, book and even television preachers do complex, in-depth rationale for their beliefs as to why the requirements for tithing from produce and livestock carries over to wages in modern times. They sound so technical, and even spiritual at times, and yet they continue the lie of the tithe requirement for today.

Enjoy the freedom that Christ paid for with His blood, and give in accordance with whatsoever you purpose in your hearts.

MMM

Well, people are just silly aren't they.
Of course when you work and earn minimum wage, it NEVER gets increased unless the government tells the employer to increase it. No employer is going to pay their workers more than their competitors, because it will eat into their profits... and the profits don't go to the workers at all.

That is why we have unions.

It is estimated God gave 613 Commandments to Israel. Jesus didn't add two, He just said the Law hangs on those two.

And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”
(Mat 22:37-40)

(Not wrong addition, just a different math course)

True. No addition at all. Just a clarification.

1st Commandment was....."I am the Lord your God: You shall not have strange Gods before me."

Actually, the Levites handed over to the priests the best of what they received, or at least a tenth of the tithe they collected. That's what they priests would use for the Heave Offerings, Wine Offerings, etc. For me, it's at times an unsuccessful exercise convincing some people in the past that wages in exchange for labor and/or skills are nothing akin to increase from fields, vineyards, orchards, flocks and herds. We have control over our wages, and how much we make when negotiating with employers and/or suppliers, etc. God was and is in control of all that arises from any crop or livestock. No man can negotiate in the increase that only the Lord is in control.

You would be amazed at how easily that distinction escapes most who subscribe the idea of a tithe requirement today from wages and earnings. Being brainwashed by those dudes behind pulpits, pounding them for emphasis, demanding how so many of those sitting out there in the audience aren't faithfully tithing of their "increase" from their wages and earnings... Oh, man, that is a prime indicator for those men who know nothing about the scriptures other than those parts that benefit them and their careers. Even prominent radio, book and even television preachers do complex, in-depth rationale for their beliefs as to why the requirements for tithing from produce and livestock carries over to wages in modern times. They sound so technical, and even spiritual at times, and yet they continue the lie of the tithe requirement for today.

Enjoy the freedom that Christ paid for with His blood, and give in accordance with whatsoever you purpose in your hearts.

MMM

Actually.....the Jews paid about 23% tithe as there was 3 different payments required over a 3 year peroid.

So then the church needs to make a choice. We either need to stop appealing to the Mosaic Law to support the doctrine of tithing, or we need to start teaching the people of God to give 23% of their income to God’s work.

Fore those who do not give 10%.....I wonder how that will go over?????

I was part of a church when I was younger that practiced these three tithes. Setting aside the second tithe to gather for the Feast of Tabernacles and the third tithe every three years with the seventh year off - this tithe was for the poor.

MM

Speaking of "funny". Have you watched the movie "NOAH" starring Russel Crow????

In the film, Noah (played by Russell Crowe) is a tortured soul who senses through a dream that the mysterious “Creator” (He is never called God) plans to destroy the world with a flood.

In the film, Methuselah serves Noah some dark tea (or was it coffee?) to help him hear the Creator’s voice. Nobody in the Bible—ever—had to take a drug or a potion to hear from God, and Noah certainly never visited a shaman.

In the film's fanciful version, only one of Noah’s sons, Shem, has a wife. Huh? In the Genesis account, God tells Noah: “You shall enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife, and your sons’ wives with you” (Gen. 6:18).

It gets a lot worse.

Who was the man who sneaked onto the Ark and where is that in the Scriptures? The film adds preposterous drama to Noah by having the evil warlord Tubal-Cain sneak on board the ark and hide in the shadows near sleeping bears and goats. He then attempts to kill Noah with the help of Noah’s son Ham—who is angry that his dad didn’t arrange to find him a wife before the rain started.

Then what are those Rock Creatures????
That weird concept comes from ancient Jewish mystics who suggested that the angels God cast out of heaven after creation were encased in rock and walked around helping human beings. In Noah, the giants, called “watchers,” chop down the wood for the massive ark and defend it from an invading army.

It is the worst attempt at a Biblical movie I have ever had to struggle through.

The good news is that our youth director used it as a teaching tool for the youth to show them and then explain the REAL truth found in the Scriptures.

The best way to think of "giving", no matter if its to the poor, or as a tithe, or offering.,,

Is to understand a spiritual principle....

= If we are born again, then we belong to God.
We are "blood bought"...>"bought with a price"....and that price is the Blood of God shed as Christ on the Cross.
So, as we are owned, eternally, as proven by the born again possessing "eternal Life".. then all we own is owned by God.
Everything we have, is God's....>He owns us, so all we have is His, that we are allowed to use.

Do you have a house, cars, bank account, health, family, big screen TV, food, clothes, ?
See all that?
That belongs to God, and He is allowing you, to USE what is His.
This is why we are referred to as a NT "steward".
So, if you see your possessions as "yours' and you are born again, then you absolutely have the wrong understanding of what it means to become a Son of God // Daughter of Christ.

ITs all His, Saint, including your LIFE.
You get to use it.

What does that mean?
It means that when you understand that giving, is to Give what is God's = away, then you are enlisting "sowing and reaping" as the "harvest" spiritual principle that explains why what you give ......is returned to you as "10-100 fold".
See, when you give what belongs to God away, then the manifestation of the increase has to happen, because everything that is related to God, is "LIFE", and "Abundance".......so, that is why the Tithe and all Giving, always brings a return.

If you don't give any of 'your things' usually what God requires is the firstborn!

lol

I think there was the Jewish custom that the firstborn actually did belong to God, but the parents were actually allowed to have them back. But it's the being prepared to give or even sacrifice what you love most of all thats the test of obedience (Remember how Abraham offered up Isaac?)

The Levites were actually substitutes for the firstborn of Israel as a tribe anyway.

Look it up, it's in the Bible along with everything else mentioned. Don't mean to confuse anybody, but seems to have been left out of the discussion so far.

If you don't give any of 'your things' usually what God requires is the firstborn!

lol

I think there was the Jewish custom that the firstborn actually did belong to God, but the parents were actually allowed to have them back. But it's the being prepared to give or even sacrifice what you love most of all thats the test of obedience (Remember how Abraham offered up Isaac?)

The Levites were actually substitutes for the firstborn of Israel as a tribe anyway.

Look it up, it's in the Bible along with everything else mentioned. Don't mean to confuse anybody, but seems to have been left out of the discussion so far.

Confusion?

From my memory of the Hebrew, the mention of the 1st born being killed by God was aimed at the Egyptians and was not about sacrifice of the children of Israel.

When God told Moses to lead Israel out of Egypt, God identifies Israel as His firstborn in Ex. 4:22-23 and siad.......
"Then you shall say to Pharaoh, 'Thus says the Lord: Israel is My son, My firstborn. So I say to you, (The Egyptians) "Let My son go that he may serve Me. But if you refuse to let him go, indeed, I will kill your firstborn".

So then, God's right to the firstborn sons of Israel is anchored in the story of the exodus. Since God spared Israel's firstborn, God says that they "shall be mine." It did NOT mean that God would kill them as a sacrifice because God rejected human sacrifices and that option and allows instead that the firstborn be "redeemed" or bought back.

Back