Tithing Is Not A New Testament Principle

The scripture I just quoted is not good enough?

And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet. 3 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? Acts 5:1-2

This whole operation began when the Holy Spirit was poured out on the day of Pentecost.

As many as are led by the Spirit of God, THESE are the sons of God.

JLB

I don't believe that scripture backs up that every time you give as led by the Holy Spirit you are giving to God. However, I do believe that every time the Holy Spirit leads me to give, and I give accordingly, I am PLEASING God.

Acts 5:4
Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal?

Acts 5:8
Peter asked her, “Tell me, is this the price you and Ananias got for the land?”
“Yes,” she said, “that is the price.”

it seems the problem is they lied......not hold back.

Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal?

EXACTLY. It was the lie, not the fact they held back something.

The lie was the act of holding back a portion of the proceeds from the land that they sold for they purpose of giving it to the Apostles.

Ananias died without his wife knowing anything.

He died before there was any questioning from Peter.

Furthermore, there is no evidence that these two opened there mouth and verbally lied to the Holy Spirit.

I believe they committed themselves to sell the land, and decided to hold back a portion, this act in and of itself was lying to the Holy Spirit.

This is a valuable lesson for us today.

I run across this all the time, as this is our Ministry.

As the Holy Spirit moves upon me to give a certain amount to a person or ministry, not one word is verbally exchanged.

I know His Voice and I know what He wants.

I don't say anything to anyone, I just obey.

Once I agree in my heart to do it, then I follow through.

I know and He knows that a commitment is made in my heart and if I were to recieve the money and not give the full amount, it would be a lie.

The fear of the Lord is a fountain of Life, that turns one away from the snares of death.

JLB

Obviously there's missing info and its purposefully missing. Question is what is our focus to be on then? They both were saved, Peter had a dispensation to retain their sins or forgive, he chose to judge. Why? He coulda let it slide. Perhaps the believers of Jerusalem agreed to have all things in common to offset the severe persecution of being banned by the Jewish community. Being corban from temple equated to extreme poverty in that economic system and I can see Pete's anger for pretending to be charitable while hiding a fortune if that's what happend.

Obviously there's missing info and its purposefully missing. Question is what is our focus to be on then? They both were saved, Peter had a dispensation to retain their sins or forgive, he chose to judge. Why? He coulda let it slide. Perhaps the believers of Jerusalem agreed to have all things in common to offset the severe persecution of being banned by the Jewish community. Being corban from temple equated to extreme poverty in that economic system and I can see Pete's anger for pretending to be charitable while hiding a fortune if that's what happend.

Had nothing to do with Peter.

Pete passed the death penalty down.

1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. 2 And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles' feet.

This is what got them killed. Peter knew nothing of what they conceived in their own heart, only the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit could have spoken through anyone and gotten the same result.

JLB

The lie was the act of holding back a portion of the proceeds from the land that they sold for they purpose of giving it to the Apostles.

I think I agree on that as well..... in fact, i think it is the seed of the problem.

as a result, it is clear the lie of Sapphira.
The part of the proceeds is in front of them.
Peter asked.
She lied.

I agree with all the posts above and don't see any conflict.

We only need one scripture to explain tithing, namely Romans 2:15. If we are told to give a fixed percentage and God will bless and not curse us, it makes the condition / willingness / desire of our hearts to obey irrelevant. But lets not throw tithing out completely for every law written had purpose and pleased God. It is clear that God wanted those in full time ministry to be supported and on a regular basis. Tithing was 11 Jewish tribes supporting 1. Hence Christians should be asked to support fellow Christians in full time ministry and 10% is a fair / affordable percentage to give.

i like the word fair ,it doesent have to be some sort of obligation

i like the word fair ,it doesent have to be some sort of obligation

What one person thinks is fair is not necessarily what another thinks is fair. The New Testament doesn't teach to give what you think is fair. You should give as the Spirit leads your heart, whatever the amount might be.

Furthermore, nowhere in the NT does it talk about full-time ministry.

Back