h
e

T
i
t
h
e

Giving is one of the first things a young Christian needs to learn. From
the very beginning, believers have come before God in worship with an offering.
Please notice what the Bible says about giving.

Malachi 3:10
“Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house,
and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the
windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room
enough to receive it.”

THERE IS A PLACE TO GIVE

It is called the storehouse. Malachi 3:10, “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse,
that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of
hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that
there shall not be room enough to receive it.”

It was used for the support of the ministry (the Levites) and the work of God.
When Israel withheld the tithe it brought on the chastening of the Lord. Malachi
3:8-9, “Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we
robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me,
even this whole nation.”
The Church is the place to give today. 1 Corinthians 16:2, “Upon the first day of
the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there
be no gatherings when I come.”

THERE IS A PLAN IN GIVING

Abraham tithed before the law. Genesis 14:20, “And blessed be the most high God,
which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.”
Jacob tithed before the law. Genesis 28:20-22, “And Jacob vowed a vow, saying,
If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread
to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father’s house in peace; then
shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God’s
house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.”
The tithe was incorporated into the law. Leviticus 27:30-34, “And all the tithe of
the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD’S: it is
holy unto the LORD. And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add
thereto the fifth part thereof. And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even
of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD. He shall
not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it: and if he change it at
all, then both it and the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed. These
are the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel
in Mount Sinai.”

Jesus approved the giving of the tithe. Matthew 23:23, “Woe unto you, scribes and
Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted
the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have
done, and not to leave the other undone.”

Tithing is applied as the plan for the support of the ministry today. 1 Corinthians
9:7-14, “Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and
eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the
flock? Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? For it is written
in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn.
Doth God take care for oxen? Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no
doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth
in hope should be partaker of his hope. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a
great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? If others be partakers of this power over
you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.”

Jesus receives tithes given today. Hebrews 7:8, “And here men that die receive tithes;
but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.”

OFFERINGS ARE GIVEN ABOVE THE TITHE

Malachi speaks of “tithes and offerings.” Malachi 3:8, “Will a man rob God? Yet ye
have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.”
The Holy Spirit will tell us what to give as an offering. Acts 5:1-4, “But a certain
man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, And kept back part of the
price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles’
feet. But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost,
and to keep back part of the price of the land? Whiles it remained, was it not thine own?
and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in
thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.”
The law of sowing and reaping is involved in giving. 2 Corinthians 9:6-8, “But this I
say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully
shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him
give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to
make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:”

There is a definite promise to the one who gives above the tithe. Luke 6:38, “Give,
and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”

C.H. Spurgeon told the following: “A man boasted that religion had been to him a very
cheap thing, costing him only a few cents a year. A good man said to him, ‘The Lord have
mercy on your little stingy soul.’ If a man has no more religion than that, if he has not a
religion that will make him generous, he has no religion at all.”
-By Dr. Earl White

Just my view:
Tithing is mentioned nowhere from the Book of Acts and on (the birth of the Church). The only references to tithing in the New Testament are in relation to practising Jews.
That being said 10% is a good place to start giving-

2Co 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The word itself "tithe" means ten percent. The word in hebrew is "mah-as-ar" which means 'tenth part' or payment of a 'tenth part'. Wonderful and biblically sound outline on tithing and offering. The quote by Spurgeon is one I have never heard and will resort to often. Thanks for the time and effort put into this post.

Back