To be humble do you have to be broken down?

This question came into my mind after I got off face book..

And I remembered that lady I encountered at the grocery store.. I remember her telling me that..that I was humble.... And when I look at my life..its very different than some people I see on facebook. I'm dont have many friends, and I'm not wealthy.. I'm not out partying all the Time..

And I honestly wish I was, I wish I had a life like there's.. Idk it just seems to be humble you have to be stripped of everything.

Almost making it seem like humility and low self esteem go hand in hand...but is low self esteem necessary just to be humble?

Cant a person who has everything,friends,family, wealth, and a good view of themselves..not too low not too high...still be able to exhibit traits of humility?

I just wonder why does a person have to be broken to be humble?
Why does it take all that?

Just my musings..im off 2 weeks before fall semester starts up. So I may be passing by here more often c:

And I remembered that lady I encountered at the grocery store.. I remember her telling me that..that I was humble.... And when I look at my life..its very different than some people I see on facebook. I'm dont have many friends, and I'm not wealthy.. I'm not out partying all the Time..

And I honestly wish I was, I wish I had a life like there's.. Idk it just seems to be humble you have to be stripped of everything.

Almost making it seem like humility and low self esteem go hand in hand...but is low self esteem necessary just to be humble?

Cant a person who has everything,friends,family, wealth, and a good view of themselves..not too low not too high...still be able to exhibit traits of humility?

Just my musings..im off 2 weeks before fall semester starts up. So I may be passing by here more often c:
Hi Autumn,
Heres the deal in short version.
No you do Not have to be stripped of everything to be humble or learn how to.

Being humble is a choice or attitude of the heart.

Now Not walking humble before your God can cause you to be stripped of everything but that is not God trying to teach you.

Blessings
FCJ

Being humble means being submitted to God. Many people do not realize that when they are submitted to God and His ways and things He has set up, then they are truly humble because they are totally relying upon Him.

The reason (in my opinion) that a lot of people end up getting stripped of everything is because they are out partying and doing things without God, and thus because they have submitted to the devils ways of doing things, it opens the door for him to come in and steal, kill, or destroy everything they have. They don't realize the cost of following the world's ways, until everything is all gone, and they finally cry out to God for help. They use God as a last resort, after they have exhausted what they think will gain them wealth, health, and enjoyment.

God bless you abundantly

Hi Autumn,
Heres the deal in short version.
No you do Not have to be stripped of everything to be humble or learn how to.

Being humble is a choice or attitude of the heart.

Now Not walking humble before your God can cause you to be stripped of everything but that is not God trying to teach you.

Blessings
FCJ
Its not god trying to teach you?

Oh no. God uses His Word to teach us. Not bad things that happen. 2 Timothy 3:16
Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and discipline in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in thought, purpose, and action), So that the man of God may be complete and proficient, well fitted and thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16‭-‬17 AMP
http://bible.com/8/2ti.3.16-17.AMP

God is always working on teaching us and sometimes that comes in correction.

Scripture tells us that the thief (devil) comes to steal, kill and destroy. Being stripped of everything would fall into this category and also people make bad choices and bad choices bring bad results.

Scripture tells us God resist the proud and shows favor to the humble.
Since God is resisting or not seeing to or blessing or helping then we can see that it is in fact an open door for our enemy to come in and begin to steal kill and destroy.

Now then........if we turn to God and are willing to be corrected then Yes God Can. Teach us in any situation but God does not team up with the devil and bring sickness and hardship etc to get your attention.

People came up with that deal because when a person gets so far down flat on their face then Up is the only place left to look. So now they humble themselves and cry out to God just as @Cturtle was telling you.

Hope this helps out
Blessing and I like the new name.
FCJ

First off lets just properly clarify that if we have not got Jesus we have nothing. If we drink of Jesus we will never thirst again.

I would rather be 'found'' and have nothing then lost and have everything.

I think you are getting the cart before the horse here. God does not break us to make us humble. We are humble because we know the truth.

We must ensure that life is not hard from our doing. Are you doing things your side to reach out and make friends? If we cannot interact with others, especially the unsaved we definitely need to re examine ourselves.

As Christians we have a duty to God to do our best to interact with the unsaved. Paul would go the extra ten miles to reach someone. If we need to change our hair colour and wear more fashionable clothing, so be it.

I am busy dieting and gyming because I am (becoming 'was') fat. I have changed my hairstyle and dresscode. I was looking a bit too unnaproachable according to some work friends at my last job. My costs of living are very high. All my money goes to rent, school fees and food. But God made a way for me to afford a whole new wardrobe and 'lifetime' gym subscription. It is so embarrassing for me at the gym. Everyone there compared to me seems to be on steroids :).

I firmly believe we have to do this. We are mostly the reason we are not interacting with others. It is really not rocket science to mingle with the unsaved. Look good / approachable and listen to them / be selfless. We will have many friends and be in a position to help them. I got lazy and let myself get into a rut after marriage and kids. I have no excuse either as I did not bear the kids :LOL:.

Everything is God teaching us. God is behind every atom that is moving.

Hi Kj,
So how do you see this?
I mean when I worked as a grease monkey we had the towing contract with the state highway patrol which meant we got the call for all wrecks and such in an x amount mile range.

I have seen sights I won't even try to put into words.

So the family that got hit by the drunks playing road games and it took days to put together a positive I.d on the victoms and collect all pieces and parts scattered all over the place was God teaching the one family member that barely is surviving a lesson?

@KingJ ......edit add In that I for got to write.
My apologies and tagged you just in case you already read it.........so Kj ......what lesson would that be that is being taught in that situation?
Again my apologies for not getting that in my first copy.

Now I would have thought God would teach us along the lines of something like 2timothy3:16
NIV
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

NLT
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

ESV
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

BSB
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

BLB
Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

NAS
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

KJV
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So if Everything is God teaching us
Then we would be sinning by going against what God is doing to teach us and praying for deliverance and healing and so forth.

Now God can teach us In Any Situation if we desire to learn and ask Him but God has not caused the situation .

Any way glad to hear your getting healthier and this should be a blessing
God Bless brother :)
FCJ

Hi Kj,
1. So how do you see this?
I mean when I worked as a grease monkey we had the towing contract with the state highway patrol which meant we got the call for all wrecks and such in an x amount mile range.

So the family that got hit by the drunks playing road games and it took days to put together a positive I.d on the victoms and collect all pieces and parts scattered all over the place was God teaching the one family member that barely is surviving a lesson?

what lesson would that be that is being taught in that situation?

2. So if Everything is God teaching us. Then we would be sinning by going against what God is doing to teach us and praying for deliverance and healing and so forth.

3. Now God can teach us In Any Situation if we desire to learn and ask Him but God has not caused the situation .

This all boils down to God's omniscience and true free will. As we all know...this is a very long and difficult to explain and grasp discussion ;). We can both be forgiven for bumping heads on it.

1. That is terrible. God protects His people and if He doesn't He has a very good reason / purpose for it. God does not fully protect the unsaved. Yet He did create every atom that brought about the catastrophe. Discussing His innocence / guilt for evil is a separate discussion and the only one that really matters. God is omniscient. Fullstop. Omniscience does not automatical equate to Him being evil. As He is as good as He is great.

As I have explained before, without bad things happening to us how will we grow in trust and faith? A wife that remains faithful to you through poverty and sickness is worth her weight in gold. Agree or disagree? We will be with God in heaven for all eternity. His only time to test us / give us opportunity to be tested is now...on earth with the devil, fallen angels and evil humans all around us.

That person that lost his family and probably has a lifetime injury can be one hell of a witness for God. Anyone who serves God despite their suffering should have everyone's ear when they talk. We have been taught to listen only to the successful and healed. When for me the opposite speaks of more faith. Healing and printing paper money takes no effort from God. A heart that loves Him despite what suffering the flesh is going through is priceless. It is the reason mankind was put on earth and not in heaven. It is the reason God does not jump through hoops for atheists.

2. God teaches us to ask and trust Him. This is not going against Him.

3. I agree with your thinking but not your wording. We serve an omniscient and sovereign God. A God who put the devil on earth. The devil tempted Eve but God put the devil there in the first place.

Last edited:
I think being humble is a choice; someone may be more humble if they have had bad past experiences as they can understand life has difficulties.
People who have everything may feel they don't need to be humble as they are better than others; this is not true of all accomplished people though.
I think all who believe should try ad be humble.

Deuteronomy 8:2 - Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands.

This all boils down to God's omniscience and true free will. As we all know...this is a very long and difficult to explain and grasp discussion ;). We can both be forgiven for bumping heads on it.

1. That is terrible. God protects His people and if He doesn't He has a very good reason / purpose for it. God does not fully protect the unsaved. Yet He did create every atom that brought about the catastrophe. Discussing His innocence / guilt for evil is a separate discussion and the only one that really matters. God is omniscient. Fullstop. Omniscience does not automatical equate to Him being evil. As He is as good as He is great.

As I have explained before, without bad things happening to us how will we grow in trust and faith? A wife that remains faithful to you through poverty and sickness is worth her weight in gold. Agree or disagree? We will be with God in heaven for all eternity. His only time to test us / give us opportunity to be tested is now...on earth with the devil, fallen angels and evil humans all around us.

That person that lost his family and probably has a lifetime injury can be one hell of a witness for God. Anyone who serves God despite their suffering should have everyone's ear when they talk. We have been taught to listen only to the successful and healed. When for me the opposite speaks of more faith. Healing and printing paper money takes no effort from God. A heart that loves Him despite what suffering the flesh is going through is priceless. It is the reason mankind was put on earth and not in heaven. It is the reason God does not jump through hoops for atheists.

2. God teaches us to ask and trust Him. This is not going against Him.

3. I agree with your thinking but not your wording. We serve an omniscient and sovereign God. A God who put the devil on earth. The devil tempted Eve but God put the devil there in the first place.

Amen brother.

What makes the good news so good???????

The fact that the bad news is really bad!!!!!!!

Hi Kj,
So how do you see this?

@KingJ ......edit add In that I for got to write.
My apologies and tagged you just in case you already read it.........so Kj ......what lesson would that be that is being taught in that situation?
Again my apologies for not getting that in my first copy.

Now I would have thought God would teach us along the lines of something like 2timothy3:16
NIV
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

NLT
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.

ESV
All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

BSB
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

BLB
Every Scripture is God-breathed and profitable for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

NAS
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

KJV
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So if Everything is God teaching us
Then we would be sinning by going against what God is doing to teach us and praying for deliverance and healing and so forth.

Now God can teach us In Any Situation if we desire to learn and ask Him but God has not caused the situation .

Any way glad to hear your getting healthier and this should be a blessing
God Bless brother :)
FCJ

I may be reading this wrong so feel free to correct me, but it seems to me that you are asking why do bad things happen to good people?

The biblical answer is there are no “good” people. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that all of us are tainted by and infected with sin (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8).

Romans 3:10-18 could not be clearer about the non-existence of “good” people:...........
“There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit. The poison of vipers is on their lips. Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know. There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

IMO, the great lesson to learned from bad situations is that every human being on this planet deserves to be thrown into hell at this very moment. It seems to me that God allows things to happen in order to get our attention and focus on Jesus Christ.
Every second we spend alive is only by the grace and mercy of God. Even the most terrible misery we could experience on this planet is merciful compared to what we deserve, eternal hell in the lake of fire.

(http://www.gotquestions.org/bad-things-good-people.html)
A better question would be “Why does God allow good things to happen to bad people?Romans 5:8 declares, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Despite the evil, wicked, sinful nature of the people of this world, God still loves us. He loved us enough to die to take the penalty for our sins (Romans 6:23). If we receive Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16; Romans 10:9), we will be forgiven and promised an eternal home in heaven (Romans 8:1). What we deserve is hell. What we are given is eternal life in heaven if we come to Christ in faith.

I may be reading this wrong so feel free to correct me, but it seems to me that you are asking why do bad things happen to good people?

The biblical answer is there are no “good” people. The Bible makes it abundantly clear that all of us are tainted by and infected with sin (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 1 John 1:8).

Romans 3:10-18 could not be clearer about the non-existence of “good” people:...........
“There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit. The poison of vipers is on their lips. Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; ruin and misery mark their ways, and the way of peace they do not know. There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

IMO, the great lesson to learned from bad situations is that every human being on this planet deserves to be thrown into hell at this very moment. It seems to me that God allows things to happen in order to get our attention and focus on Jesus Christ.
Every second we spend alive is only by the grace and mercy of God. Even the most terrible misery we could experience on this planet is merciful compared to what we deserve, eternal hell in the lake of fire.

(http://www.gotquestions.org/bad-things-good-people.html)
A better question would be “Why does God allow good things to happen to bad people?Romans 5:8 declares, “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Despite the evil, wicked, sinful nature of the people of this world, God still loves us. He loved us enough to die to take the penalty for our sins (Romans 6:23). If we receive Jesus Christ as Savior (John 3:16; Romans 10:9), we will be forgiven and promised an eternal home in heaven (Romans 8:1). What we deserve is hell. What we are given is eternal life in heaven if we come to Christ in faith.
HI Major
No I was not asking that question. Really ask that in hear, yikes that's like playing marbles in the freeway. Lol

No actually it was only directed to one statement that was made saying that everything is God teaching us.

To answer the question you brought up is easy......good people make bad choices.

To the point about none being good.
I agree scripture says we are all as filthy rags. However the blood of Juses does take care of that. :)

Blessings

HI Major
No I was not asking that question. Really ask that in hear, yikes that's like playing marbles in the freeway. Lol

No actually it was only directed to one statement that was made saying that everything is God teaching us.

To answer the question you brought up is easy......good people make bad choices.

To the point about none being good.
I agree scripture says we are all as filthy rags. However the blood of Juses does take care of that. :)

Blessings

Got it......and Amen !!!!

I like C. S. Lewis' definition of humility: “True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less.” Humility is not continually thinking about how terrible we are, but rather focusing our thoughts outwards, onto God and His beauty and goodness, and onto others, looking for ways to bless them.

Last edited:
Everything is God teaching us. God is behind every atom that is moving. But I don't see what God could want to be teaching you from your OP other then that you need to apply yourself more. There is no reason you could not be one of those people.
Yeah your right... Its not that I want to be exactly like them..i just want to be happy the way they are.

First off lets just properly clarify that if we have not got Jesus we have nothing. If we drink of Jesus we will never thirst again.

I would rather be 'found'' and have nothing then lost and have everything.

I think you are getting the cart before the horse here. God does not break us to make us humble. We are humble because we know the truth.

We must ensure that life is not hard from our doing. Are you doing things your side to reach out and make friends? If we cannot interact with others, especially the unsaved we definitely need to re examine ourselves.

As Christians we have a duty to God to do our best to interact with the unsaved. Paul would go the extra ten miles to reach someone. If we need to change our hair colour and wear more fashionable clothing, so be it.

I am busy dieting and gyming because I am (becoming 'was') fat. I have changed my hairstyle and dresscode. I was looking a bit too unnaproachable according to some work friends at my last job. My costs of living are very high. All my money goes to rent, school fees and food. But God made a way for me to afford a whole new wardrobe and 'lifetime' gym subscription. It is so embarrassing for me at the gym. Everyone there compared to me seems to be on steroids :).

I firmly believe we have to do this. We are mostly the reason we are not interacting with others. It is really not rocket science to mingle with the unsaved. Look good / approachable and listen to them / be selfless. We will have many friends and be in a position to help them. I got lazy and let myself get into a rut after marriage and kids. I have no excuse either as I did not bear the kids :LOL:.
Yah I agree with this.. I'm gonna try to make friends during next semester.

Back