Tongues Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acts 2:1-12

2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

I would just like to point out in verse 6 it says "because each one heard their own language being spoken."

Is it possible that this event was similar to event of the Tower of Babel? But instead of a seperating of languages because of the rebellion against God, this is a unifying of tongues and peoples under the Body of Christ?

I think the Holy Spirit gave them this power so they could go and preach to people they could not communicate with, not for us to sit and say things we don't understand.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts/feelings/verses?

2 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

I would just like to point out in verse 6 it says "because each one heard their own language being spoken."

Is it possible that this event was similar to event of the Tower of Babel? But instead of a seperating of languages because of the rebellion against God, this is a unifying of tongues and peoples under the Body of Christ?

I think the Holy Spirit gave them this power so they could go and preach to people they could not communicate with, not for us to sit and say things we don't understand.

We had a thread about this, some time ago.

Sorry, I'm sure there have been many threads regarding the gift of Tongues. But it can always be discussed so that people may find the truth of the matter. That is, if they are willing to receive it.

Sorry, I'm sure there have been many threads regarding the gift of Tongues. But it can always be discussed so that people may find the truth of the matter. That is, if they are willing to receive it.
I believe discussing this aspect of tongues being actual spoken language which allows a Christian to communicate to another in their own language is worthwhile.

Please don't let this become a discussion of the other aspect of tongues. Let's restrict ourselves.

The gift of tongues is Xenoglossia is what was needed at that time in scripture.

It has less use now in the modern world than it did then.

Notice the speaking of tongues was according as the Spirit wills, not what man wills.

......began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them......

The person who is speaking in tongues has no clue to what they are saying, as proofed by what the ones hearing it....

When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans?

They were amazed because they knew these people speaking in tongues did not know their language as they were "Galileans"

This falls under the ministry of tongues, not someone's personal prayer language of tongues.

1corinthians....If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; 28but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God. 29Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others pass judgment.
These verses say to me tongues were being spoken within churches where there were no apostles present and many years after Jesus had ascended into heaven.
If your in an English language only congregation then its probably not appropriate, but if the congregation is of mixed races then
it has a place. in my opinion.

My understanding is that "tongues" were for a purpose and when the Bible was put together that purpose which was to spread the gospel was no longer needed.

1 Corinthians 13:8-13........... (ESV)
8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away."

Of course then the argument will be ...What is the "Perfect one" that has come. It can only be one of two things. The Messiah who is Jesus or the Word of God the Bible. Grammatically, the phrase "perfect one" is in the Greek neuter which means that the reference here in 1 Cort, is to a THING and not a person.

Now any and all can argue that point but I will not. To me, it is what it says it is and does not need any explanation from me.

Personally when it come to this question of " God, this is a unifying of tongues and peoples under the Body of Christ" that you have posed, my response is no, I can not agree with that.

The thing that most all people fail to notice and even when pointed out will not accept. What I am saying is not ME saying it but the Bible says it.

It was the apostles that were in the picture in Acts 2 and the Bible fact is that there are no apostles today. To be an apostle one must have actually seen Jesus Christ in the flesh. I did not say that, the Bible claims that. To me that eliminates the use of tongues as a teaching tool to spread the gospel. That is my thoughts as you asked.

My understanding is that "tongues" were for a purpose and when the Bible was put together that purpose which was to spread the gospel was no longer needed.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away."

Of course then the argument will be ...What is the "Perfect one" that has come. It can only be one of two things. The Messiah who is Jesus or the Word of God the Bible. Grammatically, the phrase "perfect one" is in the Greek neuter which means that the reference here in 1 Cort, is to a THING and not a person.

Now any and all can argue that point but I will not. To me, it is what it says it is and does not need any explanation from me.

Personally when it come to this question of " God, this is a unifying of tongues and peoples under the Body of Christ" that you have posed, my response is no, I can not agree with that.

The thing that most all people fail to notice and even when pointed out will not accept. What I am saying is not ME saying it but the Bible says it.

It was the apostles that were in the picture in Acts 2 and the Bible fact is that there are no apostles today. To be an apostle one must have actually seen Jesus Christ in the flesh. I did not say that, the Bible claims that. To me that eliminates the use of tongues as a teaching tool to spread the gospel. That is my thoughts as you asked.

I think there is only one problem with this kind of thinking. "Knowledge" is also going to pass away when tongues cease.
We still have "knowledge" so we still have "tongues" also.

I think there is only one problem with this kind of thinking. "Knowledge" is also going to pass away when tongues cease.

As I said.....I did not write it, I just read it and posted it.

You are free to consider that of course. On many things I am with you but I will however have to disagree with you on tongues.

Well obviously we don't have knowledge on this subject. :)

As I said.....I did not write it, I just read it and posted it.

You are free to consider that of course. On many things I am with you but I will however have to disagree with you on tongues.
It's OK, I am not offended either way. I am also just pointing out what I see in that verse.

Prophecies -- ending according to v. 8 -- presently being done "in part"according to v. 9
Languages -- ending according to v. 8
Knowledge -- ending according to v. 8 -- presently being done "in part" according to v. 9

Hmmmmm. Could we possibly add a third idea: when the finality of Eternity is instated -- the World to Come.

As many of you know, I have recently wrestled through this language thang some call "tongues." I am still wrestling with it.

As many of you know, I have recently wrestled through this language thang some call "tongues." I am still wrestling with it.
in the beginning the Holy Spirit was present over the darkness, yet nothing happened until the word was spoken. Then thousands of years latter the word showed up as being made flesh- Jesus of Nazareth. yet no miracle until the Holy Spirit descended on Him.

The Holy Spirit s needed as much as the word of God. The Holy Spirit is the most neglected personality of the Godhead.

If you are wrestling with anything all you have to do is take it with our Father in heaven. The Holy Spirits job s to unveil the word of God to your spirit thus illuminating your mind.

paul in ephiseans 1:18 prays for the church to have the eyes of their understanding being enlightened regarding what is the riches of our inheritance in Christ. a good prayer to prayer to copy and pray for yourself.

you can go through a filling cabinet many times and not find the file you are looking for simply because its not there. you can spend a lifetime looking in that cabinet and not find it. That is when the teacher, the Holy spirit comes in your mind to illuminate and unveil the truth in the filling cabinet of your mind.

ask and you will recieve.

Prophecies -- ending according to v. 8 -- presently being done "in part"according to v. 9
Knowledge -- ending according to v. 8 -- presently being done "in part" according to v. 9

Hmmmmm. Could we possibly add a third idea: when the finality of Eternity is instated -- the World to Come.

Makes sense to me. We still have use for prophecy and knowledge so why not tongues ?

Thank God that I am of a church that practices the gifts of the Holy Spirit decently and in order exactly as is written in the Scriptures.
<I would just like to point out in verse 6 it says "because each one heard their own language being spoken."> CosmicWaffle
Yes, what occurred on that first day was the first miracle gift of interpretation :
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 1Corinthians 14: 26-28

In a Revival Fellowship meeting after the communion, the church operates the voice gifts as outlined in 1Corinthians 14, and elsewhere.
First a saint will speak in tongues:
Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. 1Corinthians 14: 22
Then another saint will give an interpretation in the common language of the congregation - for example: German if in Germany, or Dutch, or Pidgin English. or Thai or English, etc. This will be done to a maximum of 3 times only.
Then will come the gifts of prophesy in whatever the common language is for a particular Revival Meeting.

On the day of Pentecost when (Acts 2:8) And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? This is the first manifestation of the operation of interpretation voice gift by the Holy Spirit, and which still occurs today in Pentecostal Meetings that submit to the Word of God.
Tongues in the Church as sign to unbelievers, then interpretation to confirm that tongues is God given and true. Then prophecy or revelation to edify the Church.
God speaking to His people, His saints. What an awesome privilege.

The key here is WHEN...that is also the cause of greatest debate and controversy. So why did the church never accept an end to the perpetuity of spiritual gifts until after the reformation? And even then most do not only the power and frequency of the gifts. So let me give you a key here and then speak to you personally regarding something you should know being messianic...

Paul identifies the when...he says but THEN we shall be face to face....(this is when the perfect comes, now watch)...he is speakjing to the church (the whole assembly of the saved at Corinth) he says "we" (which means he himself and those saved Corinthians will be there 'face to face').

So when the final book was penned (Revelations) Paul and most of these people were dead.
At the close of the canon, they were all dead (not "we" nor 'face to face')
Finally (and this is a brief non-exhaustive explanation) these later post reformed gentiles miss the import of the phrase 'FACE to FACE"....in the Hebrew thinking and scriptures (get a concordance and look), this Hebraism means when one is in the manifest presence of the Lord....as in we have seen the Lord 'face to face' and have not perished.

Ancient Rabbi's (which Paul also was) use to call Yom Kippur 'face to face' because on this day the High Priest would enter the Holy of Holies and be in the manifest presence of God (who appeared in His glory)....

The Spirit does not change, we may not have a need for some gifts as much as for others, and in no time period did we have full command of such gifts as did the Apostles (who needed them to establish the church) but He is still (and right up to when "we" are face to face with the manifest Lord) administering them "severally" as He wills....

Also I would like to point out there are two manifestations of the tongues gift in the Bible....

a) the one like at Pentecost and in Cornelius household where the speaker speaks in their own tongue and it is heard by the hearer in their own tongue, and
b) when a person (as the same Paul says) speaks mysteries to God (not God through a person) in a language that "no man understands" (thus not a known or human tongue)

Please consider these things...

In His love

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back