Tony Blair Seeks a Way to Peace

Dusty

Inactive

Tony Blair, the Quartet envoy, has hit the ground running. On Tuesday [July 24] he met with Palestinian leaders and on Tuesday night held a meeting with Israel Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.

Blair initially sought answers from the factions to see how they propose to advance the peace process between the Palestinian Authority [PA] and Israel.

PA spokesman Saeb Erekat spoke about the meetings with PA leaders and said, “We are not interested in talks or initiatives, but rather mechanisms to implement all the ideas for the establishment of a Palestinian state.â€

Blair’s first meeting Tuesday was with Palestinian Chairman Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen). They spoke about recent developments in the PA and how the international Quartet could most effectively help in the region. After the meeting with Abbas, he met with the PA Prime Minister Saalem Faayad.

Blair said he has come to the region to “listen, learn and reflect.†Blair’s mandate was limited to exclude his involvement in the political aspects of the situation. His focus is primarily to be on the establishment and efficient infrastructure to make a viable Palestinian state operational.

Israel Prime Minister Ehud Olmert advised Blair to avoid contact with Hamas. “Cooperation between Fatah and Hamas may harm the diplomatic process. We must continue to isolate Hamas while strengthening Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas and his prime minister, Salam Fayyad,†Olmert told Blair.

During dinner at the Prime Minister’s Jerusalem residence, Olmert stressed the sensitivity and importance of the Blair mission. "The mission we face is a great challenge. We see the issues you have been appointed to handle as greatly important," he told Blair.

After dinner, the two met for a meeting behind closed doors. Various proposals were on the table including harnessing the private sector to create trade and economic activities to bolster the PA employment and economic outlook.

They also spoke about co-opting the support of Arab nations. Foreign ministers from Egypt and Jordan are expected in Jerusalem today (Wednesday) to hold meetings with Olmert and Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, President Shimon Peres, Knesset chair Dalia Itzik, and Likud Chairman Benjamin Netanyahu.

Their arrival is considered an historic event. Never before have such high-ranking officials from the Arab League visited Jerusalem in their official function. Egyptian Foreign Affairs Minister Ahmed Aboul-Gheit and Jordan’s FM Abdelelah el-Khatib are visiting to specifically discuss a Saudi initiative for peace.

MK Effie Eitam (National Union-National Religious Party) will meet the two leaders and submit his own ideas for peace, which he drafted after the Hamas takeover of Gaza City.

(By Ron Ross, BFP Israel Mosaic Radio, July 25, 2007)

Prayer Focus
All eyes are on Tony Blair to be the great peacemaker and negotiator who will finally bring peace to the Middle East. No one should live under such pressure or have to shoulder such a huge responsibility. Blair is not the god that the world has set him up to be. Pray that God will design some divine appointments for Blair, and he will gain a whole new perspective on the issues.

Scripture
“’For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,’ says the LORD. ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts†(Isaiah 55:8–9).

Violet..... I was wondering what do you think ??

Do you think that maybe Tony Blair is in God's Plan for the last days and that he could actually be instrumental in the peace of Israel ?

Dusty, I was actually going to read up on him after I read your post but I haven't yet.
I still want to do that.
It is so possible.
I do believe whoever it is is alive in our lifetime~my opinion :)

Back