Total Dependence

The first difficulty in spiritually educating a believer is to get him to accept his position in the Lord Jesus—from mere knowledge of forgiveness upward. But after that position has been seen, if it be regarded merely as a title of nobility, there will not be practical power in keeping with the great title. The man is ennobled, but he has no property* to support his rank. This is too often the case with saints in the present day. They can talk of their position in Christ, as some in another day could say, “We have Abraham for our father.” Our title and nobility are indisputable, but the poverty is so great that it seems to be an appendage of nobility.

There are many poor nobles now; and there is some question as to their right to be ennobled; the patent of the title is perfectly genuine; but the reason why there is not power or property to support the rank, is, that these ennobled ones are not dependent ones. If I have been lifted by the grace of another to a high position, I am dependent on that one for everything. I may assert that I am entitled to it, because I have been elevated through the grace of the Lord; but my support depends on and flows only from the same source and grace that elevated me.

The fact is, the greater my elevation, if I have a true sense of the grace and goodness of Him who elevated me, the more do I depend on Him who has done it; and thus, if the dependence increases, the higher the position, and the more abundant will be the power to sustain it. Title to position, without dependence, is poverty. A person of high title in poverty is a very sad spectacle. I am not only through grace a king, but I am, because a son, privileged to draw everything from Him who is my “life” (Col 3:4) and “my portion” (Psa 16:5; 73:26; 119:57; 142:5; Lam 3:24).

Dependence always ensures property. You will find some Christians who have a little property because they are dependent, but can yet be ignorant of their title, and thus have no consciousness of their high rank. I don’t defend that. If they knew the grace of God, they would know that they are ennobled.

There is a general acceptance of our divine rank now among saints. The knowledge of high position is very attractive, when the conscience does not feel that there is any exaction from the knowledge of it*. Alas, many a well-to-do commoner who daily drew his income from his Lord, has lost his means since he found out he was a nobleman, because he has held it in theory and not in dependence.

The church of Ephesus (Rev 2) was of a high rank, and had large property, but she gave up dependence, and with all her titles, she became poor indeed. If saints are dependent of God, they support their rank in Christ; but if not, however assured of their nobility, they can do nothing noble. They are destitute of divine resources*.

Among men, nothing is more pathetic than a great noble able to do nothing in any way worthy of his high position. Thus it is too often now-a-days with Christians well taught in deeper truth, who in their lives set
forth nothing of the heavenly glory; and all because they are holding title without dependence. The Lord give us to be daily more dependent on Him, drawing supplies from Him, so that everything worthy of our rank may be maintained and manifested. I should rather prove that I was a noble by my ways and acts (Jam 2:18—NC), than be acknowledged as one by title, and yet be found deficient in true spiritual nobility.

- J B Stoney

Daily Anthology: http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/

Poster’s Notes:
* “property”; godly attribute or characteristic (Logic definition; 7 a)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/property?s=t

* “exaction from the knowledge of it”; more responsibility incurred because of knowing of it.

* “divine resources”; godly attributes, i.e. 2 Peter 1:5-7.

This is a very strong devotion. Can you share any about Abide Above?
Hi RC - Thank you for your interest in the anthology and for your compliment concerning it. I also have found it (last 15 yrs) to be strong--in its method of sharing comments from Christian authors (circa 1700's-1900's) who were prolific writers in the spiritual growth category.

It is a devotional anthology of Miles J Stanford who himself was (present with the Lord) a writer of the same attributes as the authors from whom he has gleaned and compiled into book form. It was when I discovered (through the Plymouth Brethren fellowships) this book, "None But The Hungry Heart," which introduced me to much more of the same materials, that I began to get an answer to my prayers for spiritual growth in the Word of God thus "drawing close" (Jam 4:8) to God, by His Spirit, in the life of His Son, our Lord Jesus.

The book and materials in mention are available at cost and I myself still have not purchased enough of them, but nearly all that is available. I've been in contact with the copywriter of the materials (some now of whom are copyrighted by other publishing companies) all this time and he's keeping me informed of all he will be doing with his site (AbidAbove.com). I believe he will be adding more to it as time continues. The present site is new and all the materials (other than just the NBTHH book) used to be accessible for viewing on a different site.

I believe I'm close to sharing the NBTHH link more frequently with personal comments on the material in order to generate discussion, and promote (for everyone's personal use, not for monetary purposes) the teachings of these authors, as I believe the Lord has used them in focusing on spiritual growth.

After all the time I've been studying and sharing these materials, you've only been the second person or so to inquire as to the source of it. I believe their are others who have this curiosity about the teachings but just have not shared it yet.

God's blessings to your Family, and hope we have a profitable growth in Christ as we share with one another!

If I have read your response, which I thank you for, accurately, someone you are in contact with has created and is growing the site. I would ask that you encourage him to create a homepage which provides insights such as you have patiently provided me.
As for the material, it is rich , dense and challenges in a positive manner. Thank you for sharing it here.

If I have read your response, which I thank you for, accurately, someone you are in contact with has created and is growing the site. I would ask that you encourage him to create a homepage which provides insights such as you have patiently provided me.
As for the material, it is rich , dense and challenges in a positive manner. Thank you for sharing it here.
I also appreciate your replies, so thanks for them. I'm not sure what you mean by insights I have provided, unless it is referring to my notations.

I was referring to the history behind the author and the intent of the site.
I see, thanks for the explanation. He was on another's site for about a dozen years but decided to start his own and i believe he is slowly building it so that more of Stanford's materials can be accessed.

Back