Tracking Down The Elusive Son Of God

We know for sure WHO came down from heaven to become Jesus:
“In the beginning was the Word (the Logos), and the Word was with God,
and the Word was God. … And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us”(John 1:1,14)
“… and His (Jesus’) name is called The Word of God.” (Revelation 19:13)

We know for sure WHY Jesus was called “the Son of God”:
After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was
found with child of the Holy Spiritthat which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
… and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”(Matthew 1:18-23)
“The Holy Spirit will come upon you (Mary), and the power of the Highest will overshadow you;
therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God.” (Luke 1:35)

This does NOT mean that the Word (the Logos) always was the Son of God.
Because He was to be CALLED “the Son of God” does NOT mean that He was the Son previously!
Being the ONLY human male to ever be born this way, Jesus was “the only begotten Son of God”.

Let’s investigate …
WHO was the eternal Second Person of the Trinity PRIOR to the birth of Jesus!

2 Old Testament clues
“I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt,
and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.” (Daniel 3:25)
“I was watching in the night visions, and behold, One like the Son of Man, coming with the clouds
of heaven! He came to the Ancient of Days, and they brought Him near before Him.” (Daniel 7:13).

We know Jesus called Himself “the Son of Man” many times
“… He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.” (John 3:13)
What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before?” (John 6:62)

“The Son of Man” was in heaven …
BEFORE Jesus’ birth (previous verses), and AFTER His ascension (next verse).

“But he (Stephen), being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God,
and Jesus standing at the right hand of God, and said, “Look! I see the heavens opened
and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!” (Acts 7:55-56)

John said Jesus (i.e. God) was like the Son of Man
‘I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last’ … Then I turned to see
the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands,
and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man …” (Revelation 1:10-13)

Jesus said He was both “the Son of God” and “the Son of Man”
“Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God!” Jesus said to him, “It is as you said.
Nevertheless, I say to you, hereafter you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right
hand of the Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.” (Matthew 26:63-64)

“Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens,
Jesus the Son of God …” (Hebrews 4:14)

To summarize what we’ve seen above:
“the Son of God” and “the Son of Man” in the OT (Daniel 3:25, 7:13)
“the Son of God” has passed through the heavens (Hebrews 4:14)
“the Son of Man” came down from heaven (John 3:13, 6:62)
“the Son of Man” was in heaven after Jesus ascended (Acts 7:56, Rev 1:13)
Jesus called Himself both “Son of God” and “Son of Man” (Matthew 26:63-64)

So, we must conclude:
The Word(Logos), “the Son of Man”, “the Son of God” came down from heaven to become Jesus:
The Son of God was manifested” (1 John 3:8) … “became flesh and dwelt among us” (John 1:14)
So, these names/titles represent the Second Person (Manifestation) of the Triune Godhead.
Historical Christianity has been correct after all.

In post #2 … we will see that the NT Jews were expecting
ALL of the following: the Messiah, the Christ, the Son of God.

Here is what the Jews at the time of Jesus believed:

Messiah = Christ
Andrew and Peter: “We have found the Messiah (which is translated the Christ)” (John 1:41)
The lowly Samaritans believed the same: “I know that Messiah is coming (who is called Christ).
When He comes, He will tell us all things.” (John 4:25)

Christ = Son of God
The high priest: “Tell us if You are the Christ, the Son of God” (Matthew 26:63, Mark 14:61)
Peter: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” (Matthew 16:16)
Martha: “… You are the Christ, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.” (John 11:27)
John: “... but these (Jesus’ signs) are written that you may believe
that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God …” (John 20:31)

Therefore … “Messiah” (Hebrew) == “Cristos” (Greek) == “Christ” (English).

In support of the OP may I add that

On earth Jesus was :- both divine and human. He was the Son of God (the Holy Spirit) and the Son of Man (Mary)

In Heaven Jesus is the Creator
"He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together." Col 1:15

In Heaven Jesus is the Creator
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. Joh 1:1

In Heaven Jesus is God eternal.
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever" Hebrews 13:8

Praise His Holy Name

On earth Jesus was :- both divine and human.

He was the Son of God (the Holy Spirit) and the Son of Man (Mary)
Very interesting!

Did you know that Jesus is the Sustainer of all things (now)?
“And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist (are held together).” (Colossians 1:17)
“… upholding (sustaining) all things by the word of His power” (Hebrews 1:3)

Back