Traveling for a few weeks

Has anyone ever just up and went traveling for a few weeks just to clear your mind? I feel like I need that. Just a change in environment. Somewhere where I am by myself and can listen to my own thoughts. I am working a regular 9-5 and at the moment it seems a little challenging money-wise so if I did this it would be a great sacrifice. If you did, did it help? Did you experience any clarity with your life in general?

YES! I go all kinds of places by myself. My most adventurous thus far was the 3,000 mile drive from here in NC to Olympia, WA. I lived there for six months, and had a WA. Adventure. Ive lived in 11 states now, and I take road trips whenever I can. Im big on camping out, usually within the state park system to be safer. You are in AZ. Have you checked out Havasu Falls, The Painted Desert, or the Petrified Forrest? The south west is littered with great parks, and camping. Southern Cali is not far from you and offers many preserved coastal pockets to observe the wild life. Go Explore!!!

Might I ask what kind of car you drive? I have an old Hyundai Tuscon 4wd. I can put an air mattress in the back, and pack enough food/drinks for about a week. I can sleep in it to get away from the wildlife, in areas where they might be a problem. A small tent and air mattress from a discount store (or online) can be picked up for less than $40 for both. Depending on how much you want to rough it campsites can be found from $15 to $50 a night.

Ask me any questions you like. Ive travelled through 48 states. When in WA. if I could have some someone to go with I would have driven to Alaska. Thats not a trip to take as a female alone though. Too much wildlife and wilderness on that 3,000 mile haul. I find unplugging from the world to be a wonderful way to get closer to God. I don't mind roughing it, but its not for everyone. I do like campfires, nature trails, exploring our park system, and doing it on the cheap. I have all kinds of pointers if you are interested.

Ive gone wwoofing (willing worker on organic farm) which is also a cheap way to travel you work for a few hours but have free board and meals. You can do that for a few weeks at a time if your host is fine with that. The longest I stayed with someone was 2 weeks I recall.

It was good to get away (i live in the city, so never experienced the real countryside before) and sometimes I drove but another time i took the intercity bus.

you could contact other churches and ask if anyone is willing to put you up for a few weeks? I was talking with a girl in church yestersday about that. Ask and ye shall recieve...

Hi guys. Thanks so much for the responses. I unfortunately live in another country :(. But from what you guys have said, maybe I can find somewhere to go within the country instead of abroad. It's just that sometimes it is nice to be in a totally different environment.

YES! I go all kinds of places by myself. My most adventurous thus far was the 3,000 mile drive from here in NC to Olympia, WA. I lived there for six months, and had a WA. Adventure. Ive lived in 11 states now, and I take road trips whenever I can. Im big on camping out, usually within the state park system to be safer. You are in AZ. Have you checked out Havasu Falls, The Painted Desert, or the Petrified Forrest? The south west is littered with great parks, and camping. Southern Cali is not far from you and offers many preserved coastal pockets to observe the wild life. Go Explore!!!

Might I ask what kind of car you drive? I have an old Hyundai Tuscon 4wd. I can put an air mattress in the back, and pack enough food/drinks for about a week. I can sleep in it to get away from the wildlife, in areas where they might be a problem. A small tent and air mattress from a discount store (or online) can be picked up for less than $40 for both. Depending on how much you want to rough it campsites can be found from $15 to $50 a night.

Ask me any questions you like. Ive travelled through 48 states. When in WA. if I could have some someone to go with I would have driven to Alaska. Thats not a trip to take as a female alone though. Too much wildlife and wilderness on that 3,000 mile haul. I find unplugging from the world to be a wonderful way to get closer to God. I don't mind roughing it, but its not for everyone. I do like campfires, nature trails, exploring our park system, and doing it on the cheap. I have all kinds of pointers if you are interested.

That is amazing! You have lived in 11 states now??? That is super amazing! I unfortunately do not live in the States but those places sound awesome. I have been wanting to go to Alaska. It looks so beautiful and peaceful there. California is actually on my list! So many beautiful places Id want to see;Peru, the Amazon, South Africa, but I guess I need to start small. For now I just need a few weeks of.....my own thoughts

Ive gone wwoofing (willing worker on organic farm) which is also a cheap way to travel you work for a few hours but have free board and meals. You can do that for a few weeks at a time if your host is fine with that. The longest I stayed with someone was 2 weeks I recall.

It was good to get away (i live in the city, so never experienced the real countryside before) and sometimes I drove but another time i took the intercity bus.

you could contact other churches and ask if anyone is willing to put you up for a few weeks? I was talking with a girl in church yestersday about that. Ask and ye shall recieve...
This wwoofing sounds pretty good. At least you have free board and meals. That musthave been nice.

Im sure there is someplace in your area of the planet, where you might visit thats budget friendly. Sounds like relaxation is the ultimate goal, which can easily be achieved within a days drive/ride.

Wwoofing does sound like a great!

Its fun theres also HelpX which is also worldwide. Or couchsurfing.

I havent tried those two but they are mostly for the younger travelers who are on a budget. Otherwise suggest join a tramping or hiking club, there are christian ones. Look around, google it.

Ive always wanted to go to a christian retreat and havent really found one yet. The christian camps I have gone to arent really retreats inte sense you go to get away from everyone, cos everyone goes with you!

If its solitude you after, you just need to pack a tent and go camping. But thats weather dependent. Some places have a hut but you need to book and make sure you dont go in a busy season otherwise everyone else wants to come too.

Ive always wanted to go to a christian retreat and havent really found one yet. The christian camps I have gone to arent really retreats inte sense you go to get away from everyone, cos everyone goes with you!

If its solitude you after, you just need to pack a tent and go camping. But thats weather dependent. Some places have a hut but you need to book and make sure you dont go in a busy season otherwise everyone else wants to come too.
hahahaha yes and that would defeat the purpose of my soul searching trip

I only travel with family not to clear my mind. As I have to have company like family to travel with. Just my two cents worth. Never traveled alone as get home sick very easily.

When I worked a 9 to 5 I did promise myself that when I got a new job and saved the money I would go on a two week cruise on my own and I did. Yes it did clear my mind as I had a cabin to myself and I was able to just relax.
It was probably the cheapest one on board but it was all to mysself. I did have dinner companions and met people on board but as they were all strangers on holidays too I did feel I had a break from everyone else for a while. Bonus about a cruise is I didnt have to worry about where to go or where to stay. As its all included.

If you take a book with you and do some journalling with your Bible you might find answers to your prayers. However its not recommended if you want to fast. The all you can eat food on cruise ships is too tempting! And depending on your cruise often they have fellowship groups where you can meet other christians.

Has anyone ever just up and went traveling for a few weeks just to clear your mind? I feel like I need that. Just a change in environment. Somewhere where I am by myself and can listen to my own thoughts. I am working a regular 9-5 and at the moment it seems a little challenging money-wise so if I did this it would be a great sacrifice. If you did, did it help? Did you experience any clarity with your life in general?

Yes I have done that. We love to go to the mountains in Tenn. and NC and just sit on top of one of them and gaze out over God's creation.

Does it help? YES...….Temporarily.

You see, we will and can change locations but the problems and challenges of life follow us wherever we go.

I was just going to add what the getaway did to change me or bring clarity.

Well I already left the 9 to 5 before I went on that cruise. I handed in my notice, it was a little drawn out, but was under pressure to stay in it when I knew it wasnt good envrironment for me. I ended up taking garden leave.

After that I decided to train to be a teacher and did a block ESOL course. I remember on the cruise putting my occupation as 'teacher' to anyone asking me what I did. God wanted toset me in a different direction to where I thought I was headed. Another thing that happened was this girl who was stressing me out with all her problems stopped contacting me after that cruise. Well I didnt really tell her I was going, but for those two weeks Nobody bothered me.

They couldnt cos I was out of the country lol.

Yes I have done that. We love to go to the mountains in Tenn. and NC and just sit on top of one of them and gaze out over God's creation.

Does it help? YES...….Temporarily.

You see, we will and can change locations but the problems and challenges of life follow us wherever we go.

That is very true. Can't run away from the problems huh?:) Wish I could

I was just going to add what the getaway did to change me or bring clarity.

Well I already left the 9 to 5 before I went on that cruise. I handed in my notice, it was a little drawn out, but was under pressure to stay in it when I knew it wasnt good envrironment for me. I ended up taking garden leave.

After that I decided to train to be a teacher and did a block ESOL course. I remember on the cruise putting my occupation as 'teacher' to anyone asking me what I did. God wanted toset me in a different direction to where I thought I was headed. Another thing that happened was this girl who was stressing me out with all her problems stopped contacting me after that cruise. Well I didnt really tell her I was going, but for those two weeks Nobody bothered me.

They couldnt cos I was out of the country lol.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Very funny. I have been trying to switch careers but it has been a challenging journey. Every door seems to close so now ive run out of options and I am here hoping God works it out. I keep wondering if there is something else I can do to help the situation but I have tried every door I know of.

Back