“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you.
Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy to bear,
and the burden I give you is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30

We will never receive if we ask with a certain result in mind.
Oswald Chambers

Hold on! My KJV version doesnt imply Jesus gives us a burden!
He says my burden is light.

I will check and post the scripture but Im sure he doesnt say the burden I GIVE YOU is light.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Matthew 11:28-30 KJV

Hold on! My KJV version doesnt imply Jesus gives us a burden!
He says my burden is light.

I will check and post the scripture but Im sure he doesnt say the burden I GIVE YOU is light.

I looked up the footnote to Matthew 11:28 in one of my study bibles to get this answer:
"In contrast to the heavy burden of legalism, Jesus calls for an open, free,
and loyal relationship."
So Matthew is writing primarily go a Jewish audience.

Then Jesus said,
“Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you.
Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy to bear,
and the burden I give you is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30

We will never receive if we ask with a certain result in mind.

Oswald Chambers
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

No footnotes on this one, but ""and my burden is light" is close enough for me to agree that he is walking about the light nature of the burdens he places on us.

From another source, I found the following study guide:

Matthew 11:28-29 "Come unto me, all [ye] that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

“Ye shall find rest”: I.e., from the endless, fruitless effort to save oneself by the works of the law (Heb. 4:1-3, 6, 9-11). This speaks of a permanent respite in the grace of God which is apart from works (verse 30).

Matthew 11:30 "For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light."

Jesus' call has always been to those in need. The sooner we learn to lay our cares on Jesus, the better off we are. He can take care of all our problems, if we just depend totally upon Him.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly of heart: and ye shall find rest for your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Matthew 11:28-30 KJV

Dear brothers and sisters;

I'm blessed by the excellent discussion here in Troubled and include Matthew 11:28-30 in my daily good morning prayers.

Jesus was reassuring His disciples and followers His protection from the religious leaders who bound heavy burdens on the shoulders of men and women.
Jesus was pointing out that labor, or the KJV's labour is what we put on ourselves, and the heavy laden is what others put on us.

Jesus was teaching His disciples, and all of us, that we don't have to be self-sufficient on how we resolve troubles on our own. Christ is our sufficiency.

As far as the different translations being used, Lanolin referenced the KJV, this version from 1611, was and is still as close to the Hebrew or Greek put into understandable Old English, called the Formal Literal Equivalence.

The New International Version, or NIV from 1956, with multiple revisions from 1973, 1984, 1999 attempts to keep the meaning of Hebrew and Greek, but put more into modern English. This is called the Functional Dynamic Equivalence.

There will be questions of the language in each book, but regardless, both versions are acceptable translations.

God bless you all and your families.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

No footnotes on this one, but ""and my burden is light" is close enough for me to agree that he is walking about the light nature of the burdens he places on us.

From another source, I found the following study guide:

Matthew 11:28-29 "Come unto me, all [ye] that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

“Ye shall find rest”: I.e., from the endless, fruitless effort to save oneself by the works of the law (Heb. 4:1-3, 6, 9-11). This speaks of a permanent respite in the grace of God which is apart from works (verse 30).

Matthew 11:30 "For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light."

Jesus' call has always been to those in need. The sooner we learn to lay our cares on Jesus, the better off we are. He can take care of all our problems, if we just depend totally upon Him.

Thank you for elaborating on this topic.
Your insights and biblical references are excellent.

Back