TV

:coffee: Ohhhh those kind of things. Yikes can we really call them shows or perhaps better said of thy worlds showing. :speechless:
Yeah, those shows disgust me, because of the vanity. My mom watches them all the time though. What I found about TV shows is that you are not thinking while you are watching them most of the time. So it just destroys the brain.

Yeah, those shows disgust me, because of the vanity. My mom watches them all the time though. What I found about TV shows is that you are not thinking while you are watching them most of the time. So it just destroys the brain.

If I may add a point to this fine display of wording you have here me friend Juk.
Even though we think we are not thinking our thinker is just a thinken away and allowen all these wormies of fleshly thinken to come on in and join in our thinkers thinken and then we have those thinkens and this thinkens and all those other thinkers mixed in with what God has been tryen to get us to be thinken and we end up looken like one big stinken thinken non thinken fool. Shew thats a mind full. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Juk
If I may add a point to this fine display of wording you have here me friend Juk.
Even though we think we are not thinking our thinker is just a thinken away and allowen all these wormies of fleshly thinken to come on in and join in our thinkers thinken and then we have those thinkens and this thinkens and all those other thinkers mixed in with what God has been tryen to get us to be thinken and we end up looken like one big stinken thinken non thinken fool. Shew thats a mind full. :ROFLMAO:
Haha. But it's true though.

hehehe I hear it all the time try Shepards Chapel for 1 http://www.shepherdschapel.com/ Joseph prince is another good 1 http://www.josephprince.org/
Those are american it wouldnt get shown in nz.

Theres now two christian channels on sky, shine tv and daystar. On freeview theres one I forget the name, but mostly shows SDA stuff. But as I dont watch tv much, I just dont tune in. I dont even listen to the radio, even though theres christian radio stations.

Also am a bit wary of some of the teaching they say is from bible, but many of those televangelists have a bad reputation.

What I found about TV shows is that you are not thinking while you are watching them most of the time.

I think that would depend on what you choose to watch but a reason I watch tv before bed is that I can largely switch off to it. I often run through some stuff on (electric so I don't disturb anyone) mandolin and guitar at the same time - keeps the fingers moving.

So it just destroys the brain.

I don't know what the long term effect of watching tv all day would be on the brain but I don't see any harm in my hour or so a day - I'd be inclined to suggest it's OK in moderation.

I don't have a TV, my family have never had one. It's generally frowned upon amongst our brethren and I don't know of anyone who has one. But, with the internet now we can watch all the TV we want, without that tell-tale box. I've watched a lot of things that I wish I hadn't now, but it is very tempting... some TV shows just draw you in, and you feel compelled to keep watching. I try not to watch anything, and read instead.

One show that I do like and which I think is generally 'acceptable' viewing is 'The Deadliest Catch' - I watch that on DVD. The touches of faith you see among those fishermen is quite striking. These are rough-and-ready men, tough. In most other communities like that, you wouldn't expect to see much of a Christian profession or outlook, but you find it there. It's encouraging.

I don't have a TV, my family have never had one.
I've had periods without TV and I've not really missed it much. The biggest loss to me perhaps was not being able to see live cricket but the test matches went from free to view a while ago and I'd not pay for Sky.

I can enjoy bits of TV while its here but if I was on my own again, I'm not convinced I'd opt to have one.

some TV shows just draw you in, and you feel compelled to keep watching.
Probably not what you mean but I have found myself getting hooked on soaps like Coronation Street and Neighbours in the past. I've watched one episode and a few weeks/months down the line have sort of wondered "Why am I still watching that?".

But, with the internet now we can watch all the TV we want, without that tell-tale box.

Personally, I've found the Internet more troublesome than TV. Hours wasted refreshing threads looking for replies, rows I've stupidly got into, etc.

Can you explain what you mean by "tell-tale box"?

Hmm i dont see tv as a temptation anymore. I just see it as a distraction.
Internet can be a bigger time waster i agree but Ive learned how to moderate my use of it and not go to any sites that are questionable, or drawn into arguments.

I dont watch tv on internet. The only things i watch are you tube videos but even then you can choose so its not the same as tv which was kind of turn it on, and whatever is there, watch it.
I dont go trawling around or channel surfing looking for something to watch, then complain theres nothing good on, but watch it anyway. I think ppl addicted to tv do that.

We didnt have ultra broadband until recently so couldnt have watched tv on internet anyway it would have sucked up too much data and waited forever to download.

Probably not what you mean but I have found myself getting hooked on soaps like Coronation Street and Neighbours in the past. I've watched one episode and a few weeks/months down the line have sort of wondered "Why am I still watching that?".
That's what I mean - the storyline that you just have to know what happens next.

Personally, I've found the Internet more troublesome than TV. Hours wasted refreshing threads looking for replies, rows I've stupidly got into, etc.
How true! The Internet adds another dimension, for sure.

Can you explain what you mean by "tell-tale box"?
Heheh... well, if the brethren come to your house (and we're in and out of each other's houses all the time), it would be difficult to hide a TV - not that anyone has ever tried to, to my knowledge. Now we can all watch whatever we want on the internet. I think everyone does watch at least some programmes online, except perhaps the older brethren who don't have Internet at all, or have it but aren't interested in anything as worldly as television (which is commendable).

I used to watch Neighbours. My sister was a big fan back in the day.
She would ask us to record every episode when she was away. She didnt want to miss one. We grew out of it though.

Ive never really sat down to watch coro. Thats an old ppls show!!!

I think of all the soaps, neighbours was probably the best. At least it showed what being a good neighbour could be like. It was good natured most of the time. But as with all shows eventually the writing goes downhill and it 'jumps the shark'

We didnt have ultra broadband until recently so couldnt have watched tv on internet anyway it would have sucked up too much data and waited forever to download.

Were on about 2.5Mbps which needs to be shared in a way that 3 people are able to at least do ordinary browsing any time they wish.

Lol why would you hide a tv? You cant these days.
But if i came to your house I wouldnt judge you if you had one.

I get annoyed when I go to ppls houses though and they want me to watch tv rather than talk to me.

I dont go trawling around or channel surfing looking for something to watch, then complain theres nothing good on, but watch it anyway.

Nor me. Most of my watching is recorded and I have the programs that interest me scheduled on mythtv so that if say an episode of Miss Marple is on any channel and it's not marked as having been previously recorded, it records it for me. I mostly just look through the list of recordings. I delete the recordings having watched them but sometimes clear the previously recorded list for a given title so that it will record them again some time in the future.

Lol why would you hide a tv? You cant these days.
But if i came to your house I wouldnt judge you if you had one.

I get annoyed when I go to ppls houses though and they want me to watch tv rather than talk to me.
When I was young, before the Internet really took off, TV was the great evil - it let the world into your home. That's why it was frowned upon by the brethren, and no-one had (or has) a TV. It's not really a matter of judging, but it would've been a source of concern or even upset if a believer who was in fellowship was known to have a TV. I don't think anyone was ever that set on having one that they'd risk upsetting the brethren over it. But, now the Internet has come along, and we all need it for our business and our communications, and it's opened a door into a lot of homes that was shut before when people didn't have TVs on principle. Still, the Lord gives us wisdom and grace for these changed times.

I remember when I was at school, going to friends' houses and sitting watching the TV with them. It did seem a bit of a waste of time, when I'd gone to their house especially to spend time with them!

I remember when I was at school, going to friends' houses and sitting watching the TV with them. It did seem a bit of a waste of time, when I'd gone to their house especially to spend time with them!

Going back to when I lived in Wales first time round (until I was about 13), I think it was just part of the school holidays. Maybe we'd (usally all 5 or 6 of us - it was a small village) meet at our house and say watch the Banana Splits before say finding a football and making our way to the playing fields. Maybe it was raining so we went on to another house for a cup of tea and watch some more TV. Maybe we'd find another idea like make a den, etc.

Growing up, in the 80s i think just about every family had a tv. Mind you, i didnt grow up in church so didnt know many christians.

Back