TV

Although, my christian neighbours across the road had one but would warn us children to not sit so close and watch it all the time cos we'd get square eyes.

Most families I know just had it on ALL the time. From the moment they got up, they switched it on.
In the mornings, theyd have childrens shows. So the children would get addicted, and get shown toy commericals and mcdonalds ads, to pester their parents into buying stuff.

After school, same again, shows for children. Then at 6 news, adults then tuned in, and after the news a soap, then some other program, and a movie.

Going back to when I lived in Wales first time round (until I was about 13), I think it was just part of the school holidays. Maybe we'd (usally all 5 or 6 of us - it was a small village) meet at our house and say watch the Banana Splits before say finding a football and making our way to the playing fields. Maybe it was raining so we went on to another house for a cup of tea and watch some more TV. Maybe we'd find another idea like make a den, etc.
Now, that's a healthy balance! Not like some kids these days who, if they aren't sitting in front of the TV, they're on the internet or a games console. I sound like a right old codger, but it does worry me that kids don't get outside enough, they don't 'do' things, real things, rather than watching a screen.

Growing up, in the 80s i think just about every family had a tv. Mind you, i didnt grow up in church so didnt know many christians.

I was born in 1960. I think every family I knew had a TV but we didn't all have colour tv. IIRC we got our first colour TV for the 1970 football World Cup.

Although, my christian neighbours across the road had one but would warn us children to not sit so close and watch it all the time cos we'd get square eyes.
Haha... square eyes! I remember my mum telling me that when I was young, about the PC. We had an old computer which ran MS-DOS, and I used to sit on there for hours playing Jazz Jackrabbit and that sort of thing. MS-DOS was brilliant, all those commands prompts. Computing had character back then. Now it's all glossy menus and icons.

Yikes, I am sounding ancient now.

My dad watches the cricket. I dont know, its quite boring for me to follow. I dont like watching sport, the only game thats mildly interesting for me to watch is netball.

When the olympics were on I didnt even bother watching..i know ppl expect you to to support the country, but, its not like those athletes will die if you dont watch it.

Now, that's a healthy balance! Not like some kids these days who, if they aren't sitting in front of the TV, they're on the internet or a games console. I sound like a right old codger, but it does worry me that kids don't get outside enough, they don't 'do' things, real things, rather than watching a screen.

I think it was. We were very lucky too but I don't think we fully appreciated what we had then. The village probably spread out over a couple of miles, there were about 40 houses, friends had farms, there were footpaths and woods. Still there were occasions where we could decide we were bored!

My first computer was called a pre-computer 1000 and taught me typing and how to program BASIC. It had a little one line screen and we could play hangman on it.

My first computer was called a pre-computer 1000 and taught me typing and how to program BASIC. It had a little one line screen and we could play hangman on it.

Mine was a VIC 20. I bought it when I was in my early 20s in part as I was concerned that I might be left behind by a new generation who could all program. I did learn some BASIC on it but didn't do that much. I got further with programming when I got a PC in the mid 80s using Turbo Pascal.

Of course my fear didn't really happen. There were young people who started out with things like Sinclair Spectrums who went on to be very successful programmers but most people seem to have become "gadget users".

MS-DOS was brilliant, all those commands prompts. Computing had character back then. Now it's all glossy menus and icons.

If you like that sort of thing (I'll use it when I need to but prefer a graphical desktop) have a look at Linux. You can run it without a graphical desktop if you wish.

A friend told me i should watch Great British Gardens. Has anyone seen it?

I just get dvds from the library Im currently going through around the world in 80 gardens.
Before that I was watching audrey Hepburn present gardens of the world.

I'd like to see the garden of gesthemane.

A friend told me i should watch Great British Gardens. Has anyone seen it?

Not me.

My mother watches the BBCs Gardeners' World and gets the Magazine. It follows the UK growing seasons though so I can't imagine it being a lot of use elsewhere.

We did have a kiwi show called Get Growing but I couldnt watch it on our tv cos we did not have freeview.
On sky theres all these bbc lifestyle programs that mean nothing to me. I mean jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay and Nigella. Sure they personalities but they all seem to want to cook italian food for some reason. Its not like we can source heaps of italian food in nz!

I thought great british gardens would talk about those historic gardens and ppl would watch them for inspiration I suppose, not advice.
I have seen alan titchmarsh interview Prince Charles and take us on a tour of his garden at highgrove.

We have our own magazine NZ gardener. Theres a rival one also called Kiwi gardener. The difference seems to be NZ gardener more for chicks, Kiwi Gardener (used to be called weekend gardener) for blokes.

On tv also they would show Burkes Backyard, which is an aussie gardening show, but again, not really relevant to nzers. I dont know why tv programmers think they can show any show on tv and think ppl, would actually watch it.

On sky theres all these bbc lifestyle programs that mean nothing to me. I mean jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay and Nigella. Sure they personalities but they all seem to want to cook italian food for some reason. Its not like we can source heaps of italian food in nz!

Here's my take that may be wrong but... I think traditional British cooking got a reputation of being a bit bland and boring (the French in particular are supposed to be critical of British food). That and the TV cooks/chefs always want to be showing different things. Then, I guess people want to be trying different things too. I'm not aware that it's all Italian.

Delia Smith is probably one of the more British and homely cooking types.

I thought great british gardens would talk about those historic gardens and ppl would watch them for inspiration I suppose, not advice.

Gardeners World is largely practical gardening although it can . I've not seen "Around the world in 80 gardens" you mention (or any other gardening dvd) but I notice it is presented by Monty Don. He is the lead presenter of Gardeners World.

I'm not sure what we may have on UK TV that might for example go round the gardens in National Trust properties. I'm guessing maybe things like that would be one offs - I'm not sure.

The biggest show garden event in the UK is the Chelsea Flower Show. The BBC broadcasts a series of programs from there during the week of the show.

Last edited:
I have a book about Chelsea i havent read it yet.
There used to be a show on tv called palmers garden show on every Friday till it got canned and it was very popular. But then tv programmers decided to buy cheaper rubbish shows instead like idol shows.

Because gardening is so popular in nz the ellerslie flower show was created. Auckland used to host it in the racecourse, but then it got moved first to the botanic gardens in manurewa, then to christchurch. Its still called ellerslie flower show though.

Ive never been to either, but seen photos.

I have a book about Chelsea i havent read it yet.
There used to be a show on tv called palmers garden show on every Friday till it got canned and it was very popular. But then tv programmers decided to buy cheaper rubbish shows instead like idol shows.

Because gardening is so popular in nz the ellerslie flower show was created. Auckland used to host it in the racecourse, but then it got moved first to the botanic gardens in manurewa, then to christchurch. Its still called ellerslie flower show though.

Ive never been to either, but seen photos.

I like nature documentaries too, even though the presenters insist its all to do with evolution over millions of years. A volcano does not take millions of years to erupt.

Funny story..in nz they used to show an american program called Rescue 911. It was compelling and very popular about real life dramatic rescues. Renacted of course.

But..it was found that many people took it on board and started ringing 911 in emergencies instead of 111 which is the nz number. So they had to change the title to rescue 111 or just plain rescue.

Back