Two Wolves

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life:

“A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.

”It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.”

He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Struggles with pride, struggles with selfishness, envy, jealousy, anger and resentment live within all men and women. The Bible refers to the evil wolf as the old man and that old man or woman is difficult to crucify so that it is no more. The new creature in Christ does not win every battle fought within our hearts and minds. More times than I care to remember I let the evil wolf win and my words and actions are not rooted in love, gentleness, and kindness. Change can come to to all of us, but at times change comes slowly, but if we rise up each day and seek to do that which is good, just and holy in the eyes of the Lord we shall be feeding the good wolf. In the midst of heavenly light it is easier to have my responses be rooted in love and gentleness but there is a place that the Lord calls "the shadows near light." The place where we are not deep in darkness but we are also not deep in light. I find that in the shadows near light I fail more often than not so I seek to stay in the presence of the Lord and I seek to feed the good wolf each day.

Back