Unanswered Prayer .

Dusty

Inactive
Unanswered Prayer .

Luke 22:41-42.....41He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, .....42"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Upon reading this am I just got it . We are not the only ones who have unanswered prayers. Jesus had an unanswered prayer . He prayed Father remove this cup from me ...... but He also said He wanted the Father's will ..... not His own . So when we have unanswered prayers, we should remember Jesus Prayer ..... and God's will because His will is higher than ours .

What it really comes down to is that we should ask for God's will not ours.... that's being obediennt and submissive to the will of God .

Matthew 6:32-33...... 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them..... 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

OUr Heavenly Father knows our needs before we even ask and He wills them according to what is best for us .

OUr Heavenly Father knows our needs before we even ask and He wills them according to what is best for us .

He does really know best. I've noticed that since I started praying for his will in my life, my life has gone much smoother.:shepherd:

Jesus prayer was answered- the Father said no. Sometimes though we do not understand it no is the right answer.

But what I was trying to say and I guess did not make it clear is that often times people say their prayers were not answered and do not think about the no.. Just the same as people who pray for healing and are not healed .

But what I was trying to say and I guess did not make it clear is that often times people say their prayers were not answered and do not think about the no.. Just the same as people who pray for healing and are not healed .

I understand what you mean- sometimes we just have to trust that our Father knows best.

When we pray and I believe we should always ask "only if it is His will for us" otherwise we can find ourselves receiving what we asked for with dire consequences just like the Isrealites when they requested meat , not being content with the manna The Lord had been providing. Yes He gave them their request but sent leaness to their souls. Psalm 106:15

When we pray and I believe we should always ask "only if it is His will for us" otherwise we can find ourselves receiving what we asked for with dire consequences just like the Isrealites when they requested meat , not being content with the manna The Lord had been providing. Yes He gave them their request but sent leaness to their souls. Psalm 106:15

Good point . Yes, we need to ask Thy will be done not mine .

I do not wish to disagree with illustrious friends, but I would pose the question "Was the Lord's question not answered with a "Yes""

His question was "if it be possible may this cup pass from me" - The answer was Yes, if it were possible the cup could pass from you, but it is not possible.

Sorry if this seems like splitting hairs, but I have been meditating on the possibility of the cup passing from him, and the horrendous result of that possibility.

I do not wish to disagree with illustrious friends, but I would pose the question "Was the Lord's question not answered with a "Yes""

His question was "if it be possible may this cup pass from me" - The answer was Yes, if it were possible the cup could pass from you, but it is not possible.

Sorry if this seems like splitting hairs, but I have been meditating on the possibility of the cup passing from him, and the horrendous result of that possibility.
I don't think your post is contradictory, rather it is complimentary.

The cup or "challice" was the cup of suffering. Isaiah 51:17 Ezekiel 23:33

Remember Matthew 20:22.
They were arguing about who would take Jesus place, thinking they could do what He could do.

What Jesus was taking on Himself both here and in Mark 14:36 was the wrath and judgement of the Fathers Hand in fulfillment of the prophesy. He was taking all of the sin of mankind on Himself.

I believe what Jesus was praying, was that if there was any way, justice could be served by the works of man rather than by the substitutionary atonement of God the Son, then let it be so.

The truth, however, was the fact that man cannot atone for his own sins, and that only in Christ's righteousness can man stand in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Anything less, would not be just, and God is just.

Hmmm..... You do have a point Jeanann but my interpretation of when He was asking God was , that He was asking God that He not have to go through what He was about to go through on the cross, knowing already what was before Him . But He also wanted to do the will of the Father so that is why He said not my will but thine be done . Does that make sense?

I also think that God will and does over rule our prayers sometimes and does say " No" .

And down the line you will look back and say .... Wow , now I know why God did not answer that prayer .

God will give us everything we need .... not our wants .

Back