Unitarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a Unitarian now. I would like to see scripture why people believe they are trinitarians. And if people would like, I could share my testimony that I experienced today as to why I believe God is Unitarian.

Well my first Scriptures that I'd point to is God cannot be tempted. Jesus was tempted so he would be only the Son of God.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Luke 4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.

Here's my two cents on why I believe in the Trinity...

The Hebrew word for God is el in its singular form. The most common form used for God is elohim, which is plural in form.

Scriptural references:

* “Let us make man in our image” – Genesis 1:26, emphasis added.

* “God said, ‘Behold, the man has become like one of us…’” – Genesis 3:22, emphasis added

* “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…. No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.” – John 1:1

* “Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” – John 20:28

* "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." – Revelation 4:11 (the words of the 24 elders to Jesus).

* “…Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.” – Acts 20:28

* “…the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ” – Titus 2:13

* “…To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours” – 2 Peter 1:1

Other evidence that Jesus is Jehovah/Yahweh comes from His role as Savior. Isaiah 43:11 says, “I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior.” Yet Jesus is referred to many times in the New Testament as our Savior (Luke 2:11; John 4:42; Acts 13:23; Eph. 5:23; Phi. 3:20; 1 Tim. 1:1; 2 Tim. 1:10; Tit 1:4; 2:13; 3:6; 2 Pet. 1:1,11; 2:20; 3:2,18; 1 John 4:14)

Jesus was accused of being blasphemous when He told the man his sins were forgiven, it was considered blasphemous since only God can forgive sins against Himself.

By that reasoning I can only conclude that either Jesus was being blasphemous or He is truly God.

:)

Well my first Scriptures that I'd point to is God cannot be tempted. Jesus was tempted so he would be only the Son of God.

James 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

Luke 4:2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
If you are happy to be unitarian, OK. To be honest before jumping in, I want to thoroughly research just exactly what you mean by unitarian.

For now, I would like you to consider or rather reconsider the passages you have used.
When James wrote that 'God can not be tempted with evil' can you understand that he means 'God can/will not yield or give in to temptation'?
Jesus was tempted, yes, can you point to where he yielded to that temptation?
Luke 4:12. And Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"
Why would Jesus say this in responce to Satan suggesting He jump off the highest point of the Temple?
One other tentative question I would like to ask you is why do you think it is good to call yourself Unitarian and not Christian?

Last edited:

Jesus is God, and Man. The Man Jesus was tempted just as any man is tempted.

Here's my two cents on why I believe in the Trinity...

The Hebrew word for God is el in its singular form. The most common form used for God is elohim, which is plural in form.

Scriptural references:

* “Let us make man in our image” – Genesis 1:26, emphasis added.

* “God said, ‘Behold, the man has become like one of us…’” – Genesis 3:22, emphasis added

* “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…. No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.” – John 1:1

* “Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” – John 20:28

* "You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." – Revelation 4:11 (the words of the 24 elders to Jesus).

* “…Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.” – Acts 20:28

* “…the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ” – Titus 2:13

* “…To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours” – 2 Peter 1:1

Other evidence that Jesus is Jehovah/Yahweh comes from His role as Savior. Isaiah 43:11 says, “I, even I, am the LORD, and apart from me there is no savior.” Yet Jesus is referred to many times in the New Testament as our Savior (Luke 2:11; John 4:42; Acts 13:23; Eph. 5:23; Phi. 3:20; 1 Tim. 1:1; 2 Tim. 1:10; Tit 1:4; 2:13; 3:6; 2 Pet. 1:1,11; 2:20; 3:2,18; 1 John 4:14)

Jesus was accused of being blasphemous when He told the man his sins were forgiven, it was considered blasphemous since only God can forgive sins against Himself.

By that reasoning I can only conclude that either Jesus was being blasphemous or He is truly God.

:)
First I'd like to say thanks for sharing your belief. It was a belief that I have had for a long time. But I changed because of some reasons that could go with some of your Scriptures. Blue = Your Comments/Scriptures Green = My Comments/Scrpitures Red = Important points

First
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
If you're a GIVEN authority then it is a gift from someone or something God the Father. Also
If Jesus
ONLY has power over heaven and earth why doesn't he have power over the entire universe as well if he is also God the Father?
So Jesus Son of God was given by the Father God to forgive sins because he has authority over earth.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…. No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.” –
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
So if God created the heaven and the earth then what about the universe? Then the universe had to have already been created and God created the heaven and earth to GIVE to his Son to have power over it and His son had a purpose.
"was with God" would mean God made words to create. It's amazing that simply by God speaking things wee created.

…the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ” –
And doesn't have to mean that they are one in the same. Like if i refer to saying my mother AND I doesn't mean that we are the same thing.

"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." – (the words of the 24 elders to Jesus).
Once again AND can be referred as two seperate things

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God…. No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known.” –
Beginning would only mean the beginning of the heaven and earth. God the Father is infinite he has never had a beginning or end. Which is why Jesus actually ends up saying I am the Alpha and Omega to refer to what? He was apart of the Beginning/First and the End/Last of the heaven and earth which is why there will be a new heaven and earth. Jesus purpose was for the Creation of the Heaven and the Earth.
The
Word in my belief now has to be God the Father "And God said, let there be light".

“Let us make man in our image” – ,
And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee
before the world was.
So Jesus would've pre existed before the world/earth was formed. Nothing wrong with that at all. Apparently Father and Son had a bond together and made a decision together to make them in their image.

IDK if I got all my points out by I think you guys can see my point as to why I believe this now

If you are happy to be unitarian, OK. To be honest before jumping in, I want to thoroughly research just exactly what you mean by unitarian.

For now, I would like you to consider or rather reconsider the passages you have used.
When James wrote that 'God can not be tempted with evil' can you understand that he means 'God can/will not yield or give in to temptation'?
Jesus was tempted, yes, can you point to where he yielded to that temptation?
Luke 4:12. And Jesus answered him, "It is said, 'You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.'"
Why would Jesus say this in responce to Satan suggesting He jump off the highest point of the Temple?
One other tentative question I would like to ask you is why do you think it is good to call yourself Unitarian and not Christian?
Jesus said this because he knew it was a sin to "try" to tempt his Father into saving him even though God the Father cannot be tempted still. Jesus was tempted because he is the Son of God and is able to be tempted even though he has the Holy Ghost in him and is the Son of God. Tempted is an action that took place. And being a unitarian is just my belief that saying I am a Christian But I belief that only God the Father is God and he has a Son which is the Son of God and we are gifted the Holy Ghost which is something else too

There is only one God
The first step is to establish how many Gods exist: one! Isaiah 43:10; 44:6, 8; 45:5, 14, 18, 21, 22; 46:9; 47:8; John 17:3; 1 Cor. 8:5-6; Gal. 4:8-9

• "I am the LORD, and there is no other; besides Me there is no God." (Isaiah 45:5).
  • “Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me." (Isaiah 44:6).

the heart

Therefore, the doctrine of the Trinity is arrived at by looking at the whole of scripture--not in a single verse. It is the doctrine that there is only one God and not three, and that the one God exists in three persons: Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. An analogy would be time. Time is past, present, and future; but, there are not three times and only one.

Source: carm.org

I do get your points, and respect them, but I'm going to stick to the Trinity. :)

Jesus said this because he knew it was a sin to "try" to tempt his Father into saving him even though God the Father cannot be tempted still. Jesus was tempted because he is the Son of God and is able to be tempted even though he has the Holy Ghost in him and is the Son of God. Tempted is an action that took place. And being a unitarian is just my belief that saying I am a Christian But I belief that only God the Father is God and he has a Son which is the Son of God and we are gifted the Holy Ghost which is something else too
How can God the father have a son that is not God?
Mark 12:29. Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Do you know of any examples where a progenitor brings forth offspring that is not the same type as the parent?
Some more Scriptures for your consideration:
Isa 42:8. I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.
Isa 45:23. By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.'
Php 2:9. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,
Php 2:10. so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
Php 2:11. and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
So, He won't give His glory to another, which says what of Jesus Christ?

Last edited:
Let's assume for a moment that Christ was God in the flesh...for Christ's death to be a true atoning sacrifice, it would be necessary that his pain is the same that any of us could experience in the human sense. It was necessary, logically, for Christ's feelings to align with ours, including temptation.

It was designed that Christ would experience temptation, but not to fall into it. God the father, not being human, wouldn't experience temptation, but God the son, being human (albeit divine) would. Had he not, his humanity wouldn't be present and his sacrifice would be null.

There is only one God

The Trinity (Father , Son, Holy Spirit)

Called God, 14;
Creator; , 26:13
Resurrects, 10:17
Indwells
Everywhere
All-knowing
; 21:17
Sanctifies
Life giver
; ; 5:21, 8
Fellowship;
Eternal;
A Will
Speaks
; ; 7:48; 11:12; 13:2
Love
Searches

the heart
We belong to
. . .
Savior

; 2:3; 4:10
; ; 3:6. . .

We serve. . .
Believe in/font>. . .

Gives joy
. . .

Judges, 30
. .
.​

Unstructured table is what happens when you try to paste it without checking before posting. :confused:

I am a Unitarian now. I would like to see scripture why people believe they are trinitarians. And if people would like, I could share my testimony that I experienced today as to why I believe God is Unitarian.
I was conceived by man and a woman, I am a Man.

Jesus was conceived by God, and by a woman, so Jesus is God, and man.

(Matthew 1: 18-20) “This is how Jesus Christ came to be born. His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph; but before they came to live together she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. Her husband Joseph, being an upright man and wanting to spare her disgrace, decided to divorce her informally. He had made up his mind to do this when suddenly the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, 'Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because she has conceived what is in her by the Holy Spirit.”

And as fa
. Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Do you know of any examples where a progenitor brings forth offspring that is not the same type as the parent?
. I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.
. By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.'
. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,
. so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
. and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Mark 12:29. Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.
Isa 42:8. I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.
Isa 45:23. By myself I have sworn; from my mouth has gone out in righteousness a word that shall not return: 'To me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear allegiance.'
Php 2:9. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,
Php 2:10. so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
Php 2:11. and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
It says that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that I can glorify God's Son because The Father says I can which is cool that God let's me glorify his Son that died for me!

Let's assume for a moment that Christ was God in the flesh...for Christ's death to be a true atoning sacrifice, it would be necessary that his pain is the same that any of us could experience in the human sense. It was necessary, logically, for Christ's feelings to align with ours, including temptation.

It was designed that Christ would experience temptation, but not to fall into it. God the father, not being human, wouldn't experience temptation, but God the son, being human (albeit divine) would. Had he not, his humanity wouldn't be present and his sacrifice would be null.
Totally agree I agree that Jesus is divine! Godly because he is the Son of God.

• “Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: ‘I am the first and I am the last, And there is no God besides Me." (Isaiah 44:6)
Your translation is different then a KJV because LORD in KJV refers to the father while Lord refers to the Son having authority over heaven and earth.

In KJV "and beside me there is no God." This i very important because beside me is saying God is next right next to Jesus in a physical form.
Isaiah 44:8 "Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any."

Do you know why Jesus in the KJV ,which I believe is pretty much the best translation, says "Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any." Because he's saying that God the father is not in a physical form around him and we should not have made a graven images of God the Father in the very next verse!

Isaiah 44:9 "They that make a graven image are all of them vanity; and their delectable things shall not profit; and they are their own witnesses; they see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed."

God gives a prophecy of not what He The Father will say but what his Son will say!

Thanks for pointing this out because I think this makes me have even more faith!

I asked a nun about that. She said one cubed is one. As far as I know, that is not scripture.

Was John Adams, the second president, a Unitarian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back