Using Public Schools For Evangelism

I think it's clear by now that you're confusing "teaching about Islam, in the context of studying world religions" and "teaching Islam", as in endorsing, promoting, and coercing students into converting, as the school in the OP did with Christianity.

having students recite Islamic prayers I would call proselytizing ..
how is posting the 5 pillars of Islam different then posting the 10 commandments ???
I also don't think teaching the tenants of ANY religion is proper in a k-12 school ..
in a university I have no problem with ..

Good, then you shouldn't have any trouble with common core having a requirement that students learn how to round and estimate.

How?

Again, you're assuming that if they're teaching students to round, then they're not teaching them to come up with exact answers. If you honestly think that's the case, you need to look more closely. I mean, how else are you supposed to learn to round and estimate if not with exact numbers? What did you think, that they'd teach them to round by giving them numbers like 500 and 10? :confused:

From what I've seen of it, no. The criticisms I've seen are from ideology (all federal actions are bad) rather than actual content.

Federalization of all schools is not good. What common core teaches is not good. The example I provided is not just a lesson on rounding, just a random page I picked out of the new books. Students are encouraged to think about how to solve the problem and explain "reasonably" how they came up with the solution. This just does not apply to rounding lessons.

I did not mention the acceptance of homosexuality and other things presented in the common core package.

I encourage you to take a closer look.

the 1st Amendment is a ONE-SIDED FENCE ..
it is meant to keep the governments nose from getting involved in religion ..
not to limit people from religion ..

having students recite Islamic prayers I would call proselytizing ..
Yeah, that's probably over the line.

how is posting the 5 pillars of Islam different then posting the 10 commandments ???
The courts are pretty clear that such displays (including the 10 Commandments) are acceptable if they're part of a general world religions/historical documents context.

I also don't think teaching the tenants of ANY religion is proper in a k-12 school ..
in a university I have no problem with ..
Given the political land mines of the subject, I kind of agree with you. But I think it's a shame, because I believe it's important to include religion in lessons about history.

Federalization of all schools is not good.
That's the ideological argument I was talking about. But like I noted before, the countries that are scoring better than us all have standard, federal curricula.

What common core teaches is not good. The example I provided is not just a lesson on rounding, just a random page I picked out of the new books. Students are encouraged to think about how to solve the problem and explain "reasonably" how they came up with the solution. This just does not apply to rounding lessons.
Sorry, I'm just not following you at all. What you posted was an example of a pretty standard rounding/estimation problem. I didn't see anything nefarious in that.

I did not mention the acceptance of homosexuality and other things presented in the common core package.
In my experience, if schools merely mention that gays exist, but don't teach the anti-gay rhetoric of conservative Christianity, some folks equate that with "teaching the acceptance of homosexuality". Given that in most schools there are going to be gay students, students with gay parents, and students with gay friends and relatives, a school recognizing that gays exist doesn't seem to be a problem to me. In fact, I'd say it's self-evident.

I encourage you to take a closer look.
At what? If you're going to argue that common core is so terrible in its content, then it falls on you to support that. If all you can show is rounding problems, then you'll understand if I.....:sleep:

At what? If you're going to argue that common core is so terrible in its content, then it falls on you to support that. If all you can show is rounding problems, then you'll understand if I.....:sleep:

Well, I was trying to save countless links and videos for you to watch.

That page I gave was not about rounding. It's the new way to give answers to all problems. The new term introduced to common core is called "Reasonable"

There is no right or wrong answers with common core. There is reasonable.

I thought you understood that about common core.

The student has to show their work though and explain how they came to their "Reasonable" conclusion.

This means the student does not have to get the answer right, but show they understand how to solve the problem... (oxymoron)

Mothers are complaining how their child got right 1+1 can =3........ it's no joke.

It started when he 8-year-old daughter began bringing home a new, and disturbing, kind of math homework. Instead of many arithmetic problems, it had odd questions like this:

One bridge is 412 feet long and the other bridge is 206 feet long. Which bridge is longer? How do you know?

In another problem, it took four steps to add 53 and 34. It turned out this was fuzzy math, the latest in a series of "new math" experiments that have plagued children for decades. In this version, little emphasis was put on getting the right answer. "Explaining" it, by parroting Common Core jargon, was far more important. And the jargon was more confusing than enlightening. "It involved breaking a number down in laborious, around-the-barn ways," she told the forum.

This is how all common core problems are now addressed, not just rounding problems. It's called "reasonable" Not right or wrong anymore.
http://civitasreview.com/education/mom-shows-fight-common-core/

That page I gave was not about rounding. It's the new way to give answers to all problems. The new term introduced to common core is called "Reasonable"
??????? It specifically stated, "Some typical estimation strategies for this problem". The first sentence in the example is "Round 368 to 400".

And you're trying to tell me that problem isn't about estimation and rounding? :confused:

There is no right or wrong answers with common core. There is reasonable.
When it comes to estimation, there are degrees of right and wrong. The examples you posted were two students got 500 and a third got 530. They're all good estimations, arrived at by different means. But if a student answered 20, that would be wrong.

I thought you understood that about common core.
I think you're against it for ideological reasons (feds r bad), and are interpreting perfectly benign material through that lens. Kinda like an atheist reading the Bible.

The student has to show their work though and explain how they came to their "Reasonable" conclusion.

This means the student does not have to get the answer right, but show they understand how to solve the problem... (oxymoron)
That's not in what you posted at all.

Mothers are complaining how their child got right 1+1 can =3........ it's no joke.
Unsupported anecdotes are hardly compelling. What you posted as an example of how terrible common core is, is not at all compelling.

This is how all common core problems are now addressed, not just rounding problems. It's called "reasonable" Not right or wrong anymore.
http://civitasreview.com/education/mom-shows-fight-common-core/
Again, anecdotes. And the actual problem they cited, "One bridge is 412 feet long and the other bridge is 206 feet long. Which bridge is longer? How do you know?" is perfectly appropriate for an 8 year old.

If you have something specific in the common core that you think is so terrible, show it. Don't give stories, don't give entirely benign and appropriate examples and try and spin them to suit your anti-government ideology.

If you have something specific in the common core that you think is so terrible, show it. Don't give stories, don't give entirely benign and appropriate examples and try and spin them to suit your anti-government ideology.

Best I can figure you must work for the FBI. Disregard all I said above. I was just joking... ya...joking.. Ha ha...

If you say so RiverJordan.

Best I can figure you must work for the FBI. Disregard all I said above. I was just joking... ya...joking.. Ha ha...
Dang! You blew my cover!! :p

If you say so RiverJordan.
Well, it's not a matter of my say so. If a rounding problem example is the worst thing you can post directly from common core, my say so isn't needed.

Back