Verses About Preventing Ladies To Dress Immodestly

Hi there I am a new believer and I am struggling with immodesty and I would appreciate it if I can get verses that deal with immodesty so I can please the Lord. Haha please do not get the impression that I wear shorts up to my butt or wear low-cut tops. But is it so tempting for men for ladies to wear dresses that show shoulders? or to wear shorts that go 7 inches below the waist? I understand we should not be a stumbling block for men but I am trying to do my part with modesty.

Thank you for your time and response :) !

wear a hijab like the muslim women do or a habit like the nuns lol but seriously tho heres a verse for women shoulndt wear pants.

“The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.” - Deuteronomy 22:5

The Lord knows that youre trying, just dress up modesty, its more classy sista! lol God bless to you!

wear a hijab like the muslim women do or a habit like the nuns lol but seriously tho heres a verse for women shoulndt wear pants.

“The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.” - Deuteronomy 22:5

The Lord knows that youre trying, just dress up modesty, its more classy sista! lol God bless to you!

Thing is, there are an awful lot of pants out there that don't pertain to a man. Their cut and style are distinctly feminine. Just sayin' :). But this is really a whole 'nother subject of its own.

I haven't had time to sit down and comb through the scriptures, but I don't recall any offhand that specify exactly what a person should wear. That is, length of skirt, length of sleeves, inseam, etc. Much of this is culturally determined. After all, there are many places in the world where men and women go about practically naked. That wouldn't do in most, if not all, of the parts of the world represented by the members of this site. So this is where I think this discussion is going to be interesting. I don't have time today to get into it, but I intend to do so.

Here is one.

1 Peter 3:3
New International Version (NIV)
3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.

1 Peter 3:3
New International Version (NIV)
3 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes.

This verse christavrous quoted is the main point, I think. Why would you wear 7" pants? Why would anyone? Isn't it to be trendy or to gain acceptance by the stylish, in-girls? Or perhaps to get attention from males?

Thing is: dressing sexy attracts the kind of men who go in for that sort of thing. You need to bait the hook according to the fish you want to catch. The one you really, really want is the one God already chose for you. So, continually pray for this man to be godly and pure. Pray you and he both will wait.

Chasing after dating partners is an idea of Hollywood, not of God. I met my wife after many years of what I will call 'drunken dating'- a senseless path with no good fruit. Not that I was a drunk, or even drinking, but that serial dating is a drunken act.

I finally found my beautiful wife after praying. She, unlike me, waited. But, I love her like no other person I have ever met. I would not trade us for anything else here.

So, who are you on the inside?

Also, from my woman chasing days: all the men know who to respect, and who is a two-date party. This is judged at a glance, and absolutely includes how a woman is dressed.

Hi hun! I understand where you are coming from. I myself have struggled with this... A few people have already stated some scripture. I just wanted to give my two cents. It's hard to dress a 'certain way' especially if you are a new Believer. The things is, the way many women dress today is very worldly. Shorts that expose our thighs, mini skirts, tight skinny jeans etc. It seems 'normal' to the human eye because it's worldly. This is how 'everybody' is dressing. But we are trying to please God. What my aunt had to say about jeans makes a lot of sense. When you wear jeans, the crotch area is 'defined' and so is the bootay. Does that make sense? I mean, again, it seems normal because we are used to seeing it. But, as Christians, we want to be set apart from the worldly things not be apart of them...

Good luck sis!

Hi there I am a new believer and I am struggling with immodesty and I would appreciate it if I can get verses that deal with immodesty so I can please the Lord. Haha please do not get the impression that I wear shorts up to my butt or wear low-cut tops. But is it so tempting for men for ladies to wear dresses that show shoulders? or to wear shorts that go 7 inches below the waist? I understand we should not be a stumbling block for men but I am trying to do my part with modesty.

Thank you for your time and response :) !
I know this OP was posted a year ago. But, I want to put my input.

In my early walks as a Christian, modesty wasn't important to me. However, after I went to a youth group service, they talked about immodesty. As I got home, I felt so convicted by the Spirit of the clothes that I chose to wear that I destroyed everything. As I continued my walk with God, God has said that modesty is not about clothing but also living in modesty, living and leading a pure life. I no longer dress immodestly and try to present myself modestly in all that I do.

In 1 Timothy 4:12 (this is on my purity ring as well, so this scripture is one of my life verses), it says, "Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

We have to be careful not to make others stumble. If you make someone sin, you are held accountable. So, as women, we need to honor others above ourselves (Romans 12:10), and know that if you wear something to get the "attention" of a man, and if a man lusts after us, we are held accountable because we are making them stumble.

As women, we might get in the mind set, "Men need to treat us as princesses." Yes, but you should also treat the men as a PRINCE. Treat others the way you want to be treated. We should ALL respect one another and not lead others into temptation.

In my early walks as a Christian, modesty wasn't important to me. However, after I went to a youth group service, they talked about immodesty. As I got home, I felt so convicted by the Spirit of the clothes that I chose to wear that I destroyed everything. As I continued my walk with God, God has said that modesty is not about clothing but also living in modesty, living and leading a pure life. I no longer dress immodestly and try to present myself modestly in all that I do.

In 1 Timothy 4:12 (this is on my purity ring as well, so this scripture is one of my life verses), it says, "Be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity."

We have to be careful not to make others stumble. If you make someone sin, you are held accountable. So, as women, we need to honor others above ourselves (Romans 12:10), and know that if you wear something to get the "attention" of a man, and if a man lusts after us, we are held accountable because we are making them stumble.

As women, we might get in the mind set, "Men need to treat us as princesses." Yes, but you should also treat the men as a PRINCE. Treat others the way you want to be treated. We should ALL respect one another and not lead others into temptation.

As someone who did not grow up 'Christian' and am reaping the fruits of my works in my life-do it God's way...it won't fail you.

I like what you said about conviction-I think as we grow closer to Christ and ALLOW conviction to work in our lives-our submission to the Lord's Word is easier. We have to "change clothes" if you will by undoing all those rebellious garments. The Word should be the precedent-not the remedy.

Also-WE represent Christ-what do people think when an immodest Christian approaches them? What should they think? They should be able to tell by your physical appearance that you are different than the world's view. If they 'see' then they are more likely to 'hear' the message....'teach to all creatures...'

Luke 24:46-48

Even as an unsaved teenager, I learned the power of appearance my junior year of High School. I pretty much dropped out my sophomore year and during that summer between-let's say my uncles and grandfather made me see the light. So I purposed in my heart to be myself and instead of trying to be 'cool' and camouflage myself with the popular clothes, I bought the el cheapo pants (not jeans) and collared shirts for school (because I could afford them). Did I stick out -yup. But you know what-nobody picked on me my last 2 years of high school either...

In my early walks as a Christian, modesty wasn't important to me. However, after I went to a youth group service, they talked about immodesty. As I got home, I felt so convicted by the Spirit of the clothes that I chose to wear that I destroyed everything.
That would have been rather revealing would't it?:)
As I continued my walk with God, God has said that modesty is not about clothing but also living in modesty, living and leading a pure life. I no longer dress immodestly and try to present myself modestly in all that I do.

Point is, women's garb does not really do much to arouse a male as some would say. The sexual attraction by a woman comes from herself...who she is. When I was about 20 or so, there was this girl who presented as the ultimate in femininity. She dressed modestly and so on, but try as she did, she never even got to the first date stage with me.......because of the person I perceived her to be...yuk.
Men are not necessarily only hormone driven, we think with our heads as well.:).......Just don't wear a pinafore in my presence.....that would be my 'Achilles heal'.:( Now that is letting out a few closely guarded secrets, huh.

That would have been rather revealing would't it?:)
Point is, women's garb does not really do much to arouse a male as some would say. The sexual attraction by a woman comes from herself...who she is. When I was about 20 or so, there was this girl who presented as the ultimate in femininity. She dressed modestly and so on, but try as she did, she never even got to the first date stage with me.......because of the person I perceived her to be...yuk.
Men are not necessarily only hormone driven, we think with our heads as well.:).......Just don't wear a pinafore in my presence.....that would be my 'Achilles heal'.:( Now that is letting out a few closely guarded secrets, huh.
Well, men are visual creatures. Maybe not for you, but I know many men do struggle with lust with the way women present themselves. :) And of course men think with their heads! I definitely agree! I was not bashing men at all :) Just explaining that as women, we need to be cautious with the way we do things. Just as men should be cautious of how they deal with women :) Hopefully this makes a bit more sense.

Modesty and purity are not just in clothes, but in the way you live life.

Well, men are visual creatures. Maybe not for you, but I know many men do struggle with lust with the way women present themselves. :) And of course men think with their heads! I definitely agree! I was not bashing men at all :) Just explaining that as women, we need to be cautious with the way we do things. Just as men should be cautious of how they deal with women :) Hopefully this makes a bit more sense.

Modesty and purity are not just in clothes, but in the way you live life.
Actually no! Your post was perfectly clear in the first place. I have had trouble with lust, I'd be a liar to deny it. But for me I don't care what a lady wears....but I do care a lot about what she is like as a person. So in essense we are agreed:)
Lust knows no boundaries

Actually no! Your post was perfectly clear in the first place. I have had trouble with lust, I'd be a liar to deny it. But for me I don't care what a lady wears....but I do care a lot about what she is like as a person. So in essense we are agreed:)
Lust knows no boundaries
Ah! I understand! :) :) :) :) :)

Back