Victoria Osteen: When You Worship Him, You’re Not Doing It For God Really. You’re Doing It For Yours

Victoria Osteen's recent statement at Lakewood (her husband's church) has circulated the internet with a lot of commentary.

She said

“I just want to encourage every one of us to realize when we obey God, we’re not doing it for God—I mean, that’s one way to look at it—we’re doing it for ourselves, because God takes pleasure when we’re happy. That’s the thing that gives Him the greatest joy. So, I want you to know this morning: Just do good for your own self. Do good because God wants you to be happy. When you come to church, when you worship Him, you’re not doing it for God really. You’re doing it for yourself, because that’s what makes God happy. Amen?”

Shall we discuss?

I can't make sense of it.

fwiw, luke 15:7 has come to my mind.

"I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."​

Victoria Osteen's recent statement at Lakewood (her husband's church) has circulated the internet with a lot of commentary.

She said

“I just want to encourage every one of us to realize when we obey God, we’re not doing it for God—I mean, that’s one way to look at it—we’re doing it for ourselves, because God takes pleasure when we’re happy. That’s the thing that gives Him the greatest joy. So, I want you to know this morning: Just do good for your own self. Do good because God wants you to be happy. When you come to church, when you worship Him, you’re not doing it for God really. You’re doing it for yourself, because that’s what makes God happy. Amen?”

Shall we discuss?
Hey Brother! Peace be with you! Absolutly...we can add them to that list you gave in the other post!...lol... Humanism, positive thinking, and this idea of a universal Christ will be probally the catalist for the lukewarm church.....God bless!..lol

These latest statements made by Vic are just what their itching eats want to hear. They applauded. That says enough for me.

Does it remind you of 2 Tim 4:3.......
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers having itching ears."

She said

Shall we discuss?
I really liked Joel Osteens father John when he was alive. His son Joel worked behind the scenes for his dad. I think he should have listened more to what his father taught than doing other things. We worship God because we love him, and that is because he first loved us. Worshipping God for self happiness would be the same thing as a sinner coming to God to escape Hell instead of knowing he was a sinner and wanting to be free from his sins. Wrong motives are not good.

Back