Walk in the Spirit.......

Your thoughts on what it means to walk in the Spirit and how are you able to do this?
And how do you know when it is happening?
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Your thoughts on what it means to walk in the Spirit and how are you able to do this?
Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Good questions! I believe that the word "walking" refers to the way the LIVE our lives.
Believers have the Spirit of Christ, the hope of glory within them (Colossians 1:27). Those who walk in the Spirit will show forth daily, moment-by-moment holiness. This is brought about by consciously choosing by faith to rely on the Holy Spirit to guide in thought, word, and deed (Romans 6:11-14). Failure to rely on the Holy Spirit's guidance will result in a believer not living up to the calling and standing that salvation provides (John 3:3; Ephesians 4:1; Philippians 1:27). We can know that we are walking in the Spirit if our lives are showing forth the fruit of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22,23). Being filled (walking) with the Spirit is the same as allowing the word of Christ (the Bible) to richly dwell in us (Colossians 3:16).

I agree with Major on this subject. To walk in the spirit is to live a righteous life in-Christ.
I'd also offer a tip, when you're having trouble understanding a particular verse, employ the single most important rule we can possibly follow when reading...well....anything really; Never read just one verse. Always read a passage or more to get the full context. From verse 16 throughout the rest of the chapter gives a pretty good description of what it means to walk in the Spirit, contrasting the lusts of the flesh with the fruits of the Spirit.

this is a difficult subject.some think we walk in spirit as in flesh to curve the flesh side.others think that we could help the population through spirit union.dna etc.less disease.
me i have no idea,i can,t see the spirit world in that way.
there are that many stories or lies it is difficult to know the truth.
i have had trouble in this area,but the way i see it if i can,t trust the holy spirit,who can you trust.?
i tend to leave that area blank.so to me walk in the spirit means to walk according to Christ.with love.

There are some really good posts here guys.
Another way we walk in the Spirit and not the flesh is how we react and respond to others, in word and attitude.

I agree with everything said here. But I also think it is very important to point out that walking in the flesh, can also be trying to act in accordance to the law, thereby falling from grace. Trying to save or sanctify ourselves is walking in the flesh.

Paul, as inspired by God, wrote the following:

* Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Perhaps to understand, “Walk in the Spirit,” we need to know first what Paul, as inspired by God, to write the following:

* Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

When is a person considered to be "under the law?"

Back