Want an Exit from Temptation?

Want an Exit from Temptation?

I have been trying to read 2 Peter this morning and can't get past the 1st chapter. I find myself picking it to pieces. It's so full of treasures!

Just the 2nd verse is worth reading over and over until you get the full meaning. It's about being content. v2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord. Just the knowledge, just knowing there is a God and believing He is real is not enough to gain this grace and peace. I think we have to seek His knowledge out; and we can know more about God only by studying Him in the Word. As it suggests in the next verse:

v.3 as His divine power has given to us all things that petain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue,

v.4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

There is our excape plan! His divine power will give us the power to excape if we hold this knowledge of Him inside us, which we gain from digging into the Word and getting on our knees. We can be partakers of His divine nature and thereby excape the corruption that is in the world through lust. The lust of the world, I believe, is what is called the lust of the flesh. When we operate in our own flesh and not through a divine nature, we fall into worldly lust and loose sight of all that God intended for us - contentment.

v.5 But also for this very reason, givine all diligence, add to your faith virture, to virtue knowledge, v.6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, v7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

Isn't that what the world is seeking right now? They want to see a peaceful world, but they are pushing aside the very thing that will bring that peace. They are trying to take God out of the system, when He would bring the very peace and contentment they desire. What's good is considered bad, and what's bad is considered good to the world. Likewise, the rich and famous are missing it as well. They seek their peace in all the wrong places. The lust for more only brings them down and we can be the shinning light of the world to show them the contrast of darkness and light.

I know you know all this, but I just feel the need to express it right now.

v.8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. v.9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

I remember when satan had me going around in circles. I was so worn out from falling into temptation and trying to get back on my knees and into the Word, that I forgot I'd been purged from my old sins. It just took time and persistance to get grounded on a firm foundation and then I began to see satan for what he was: a dog with a lot of bark and no teeth, just gums. But, like Eve, I believed him when He continued to bring up to me all my past failures and I fell for all his lies, until a good friend reminded me that Jesus would always love me and be there for me. I just needed to keep seeking Him until I was grounded and had built that firm foundation. Now I feel like an eagle, flying high above the World, looking down on it and the temptations that looked so huge, are looking much smaller from where I am. I don't spend as much time watching out for temptations, but more time in my secret prayer closet.

v.10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you do these things, you will never stumble; v.11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

I just noticed now that it says an entrance, not an exit, but an entrance into the everlasting kingdom! I guess if there's an entrance, there has to be an exit too. :p The rest of the chapter is just as good.

So, now you know that unless you start setting up your foundation on solid ground by seeking your Creator with all diligence, you will always fall into the temptation that invaribly will be there waiting for you until we are with our Lord in eternity. Just know there in an exit. :israel: Diligently seek for it! Hugz, Sweets

Back