Warning of the Online Videos our Children Watch

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I'm aware that in parent's homes, their children under 6 years watch "innocent" children's videos on a cell, pad, electronics or TV.

I noticed that these video apps can become very subtle in their nature, stories, tone, and music as children grow. They naturally become more curious.

What are your thoughts and experience of today's electronic videos with your children, family children? What solutions do you offer regarding your own or even your children's children?

Here are some Proverbs verses to give thought regarding protecting our children.

Proverbs 19:18, 18 Discipline your son, for there is hope; do not set your heart on putting him to death.

Proverbs 22:6, 6 Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 29:15, 15 The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself brings shame to his mother.

God bless you all, and the children in our lives.

Well I work with 5-11 year olds, so not much with under 6s. I would recommend if parents ARE letting their children have screen time, that they watch the videos with them. Don't use them as a babysitter.

Some parents, and even teachers, sadly, just use tv as a babysitter. It's not so much the video contents that are a concern, but the advertising around it. You can control the videos, but you can't always control what ads are shown before, in the middle of or after their program.

While its good to have something entertaining and a break from things, all too often parents are lazy and let tv and media take over their lives, then setting a bad example for their children. Children do get bored of sitting for long periods of time passively watching tv. But a lot of parents do not provide other things for them to do, or have little imagination so that they can play with them.

Toys do not need to be expensive. Apart from going to the library and borrowing lots of books, you can also join a toy library and borrow toys. I've just found out there is a toy library near me thats housed in a church and they loan out all sorts of toys for under 6s that would be expensive to buy but they rent them out for $2 for two weeks if you join as a member (like $30-$50 a year) and they can range from doll houses to scooters and trampolines to train sets and puzzles etc.

Hello Lanolin;

I couldn't agree with you more. I remember not so long ago more emphasis was put on parents monitoring their children's time usage and content of electronics, especially these days as more are getting even younger.

God bless you and thank you for sharing.

Honestly some of the kids tv is boring, but Sesame Street was one of the good shows that came out of the US for preschool children. Children do learn their ABCs, phonics, and reading new words from that show. I did.

In NZ we had Play School, and our own shows specifically for children, like What Now? They would go around filming in schools and with children.

I am not sure whats on offer now as never really watch it, but I heard Blues Clues is popular.

Some other good shows

Shaun the Sheep
Pingu
Miffy

If you go on a site called Commonsense Media, it gives ratings for books, movies, tv, games. It will tell you what is suitable for each age group, as voted by both children and parents. Most movies come with a rating, if its G (Green or General) or U (universal) it will be ok, but I think for under 5s its best you watch with your children anything. PG means Parental Guidance recommended.

I think there's a kids tube version of You tube but I am not sure how well that is monitored for content or whether it is actually any good - or if its just full of children's advertising. I have children's picture book videos (books read out loud on video) on my library website but honestly you are much better off actually reading the book itself with your child rather than watching it on tv.

Back