Was Jesus born in December?

shineyourlight8

Sr Encourager Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Was Jesus born in December?

I always figured that He wasn't. Just because we humans won't know every answer.

Last week, I wanted to read scriptures based on Jesus' birth. I felt led to (probably because I just finished decorating the Christmas tree and I was in the mood for Christmas
icon_smile.gif
)

Well, I found this:
"And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, to a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women." Luke 1:26-28 (KJV)

Now, I didn't read the whole chapter. So I don't know if Mary became pregnant right after she was visited by Gabriel. So I don't want to take anything out of context, so this is why I'm bringing it up on AY.

It says in the six month Gabriel came to Mary and told her that she was going to be pregnant and give birth to Jesus. So Gabriel went and visited Mary in the month of June. It takes 9-10 months to deliver a baby. So Jesus' birth would have been in March or April?

Am I reading this right? Or no? Lol.

I won't go into great detail - I will leave the research and studies to you...

The start of the details goes to the time of the year that Zechariah, the Husband of Elizabeth (Mary's cousin) worked in the Temple as a Levitical Priest. That "Course of Abia", the two week 'shift' that he worked, ended in what we now call late June as transposed from the Hebrew Calendar. After Gabriel's announcement at that same time of the year, Zechariah went home to Elizabeth and she conceived of little John the Baptist ( remember - that conception was in late June, just after The Course of Abia ended.) Six months after Elizabeth conceived, Mary conceived of the Holy Spirit. That same week, she went to see her cousin Elizabeth - and that time of the year was around what we now call December 25th... 6 months after Elizabeth's conception. Mary gave birth to Christ on or around September 29 as transposed from the Hebrew Calendar.

The Course of Abia is a fixed date on the Hebrew Calendar and is both scriptural and historical. For those persons who wish to do the additional studies, you can use "The Companion Bible" - Appendix 179 for the parallel dates of the life of Christ as well as using the accurate study in the link below...

May God guide you in your studies...

Christ's Birth Date

Well the way I see it is..the date isn't important..it's the birth that counts:smiley20:

Absolutely agree with you, PreciousPuppy ! I just placed the research materials in the post earlier so persons who wish to get technical details may be able to do so. Sometimes, that type of study includes Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek language word studies and it actually assists with other scriptural understanding as you get into more and more studying.

Blessings to all and remember - 'EMMANUEL' - in Hebrew, means "God With Us"... Regardless of your own beliefs, Christ dwelt with us as our Savior and THAT is the most important fact of all.

Yeah, That's really cute - Is there a site to download those ? :)

Well the way I see it is..the date isn't important..it's the birth that counts:smiley20:
I totally agree :)
Just curious!
But yeah, as long as Jesus came to save us, that's all that matters. The date of his birth doesn't really matter. It's just the fact that God decided to send his only son down on earth to save us! Now that amazes me :)

'xspinningisfun' - I believe that Michael (Smellycat) is refering to Biblical Numerics...

In the original scriptural languages, there are descriptive references to certain numbers contained in the early pre-bible texts. Here is just one explaination below, but if you do a Google seach for "Biblical Numerics", you will find many such sites that go into the technical details and explainantions:

Hope that this helps you in your understanding:

Biblical Numerics

'xspinningisfun' - I believe that Michael (Smellycat) is refering to Biblical Numerics...

In the original scriptural languages, there are descriptive references to certain numbers contained in the early pre-bible texts. Here is just one explaination below, but if you do a Google seach for "Biblical Numerics", you will find many such sites that go into the technical details and explainantions:

Biblical Numerics

Thanks Pastor Gary. This is very helpful and interesting.

Biblical Numerics
Thanks! Now I understand just a bit better!

As I sit here wondering if the current winter storm weather will delay or prevent my daughter and her husband from making it home for Christmas (I know that a number of flights have already been cancelled), I kinda wish Christmas was celebrated in late September.

Back