Was Jesus Mean to two Blind Men and a Leper?

In Matthew 9:30 @ Mark 1:43 the Greek word embrimaomai is employed when strongly admonishing them not to tell about their healings. Secular Greek Authors generally use this term to denote severe anger with the idea of coercion. While the Jews used it for any type of anger Or for sternness weather severe or mild(I choose the latter).

To my astonishment, I've found a few scholars go so far as to claim Jesus was harsh, severe, coercive, or even in a fit of rage! But I find that very hard to believe(no offense to them) because both the immediate and remote context say something different.

In the immediate context of Matt 9:30 we have two blind men with genuine faith to receive Christ's healing. In Mark we have an outcast leper approach Jesus with a sincere request. Jesus felt Spagchnon: a Greek term for deep-seated bowel-felt compassion.

In the remote context we have...

“HE WILL NOT QUARREL, NOR CRY OUT;
NOR WILL ANYONE HEAR HIS VOICE IN THE STREETS.
A BATTERED REED HE WILL NOT BREAK OFF,
AND A SMOLDERING WICK HE WILL NOT PUT OUT
UNTIL HE LEADS JUSTICE TO VICTORY.

AND IN HIS NAME THE GENTILES WILL HOPE”.

And...

“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden,
and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me,
for I am gentle and humble in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not painting Jesus as soft on sin. He overturned the tables of bigoted thieves, pronounced woes on the self-righteous Pharisees, and sharply rebuked the stubborn inhabitants of Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum for refusing to repent despite all he did for them. In all those cases he had pure righteous indignation!

I just don't see Jesus being all that stern here in Matt 9:30 nor Mark 1:43. Was he quite serious? Yes. But by no means coercive in his authority.

Thanks for reading.

Jesus was compassionate. His sternness was because if the healed men went and told everyone, it would make His movement difficult (which it did). It was a case of helping the afflicted, which in due time would become an edifying sign of Jesus's divinity, but having too much publicity too early caused mob scenes that hindered our Lord's ability to come and go freely.

My take is, and there may be other views more on target than mine:

Our Lord probably weighed many things before he compassionately healed these persons. There was the compassion, and there is the witness of His divinity that was recorded and still aids us in knowing Him, but He would have much preferred to be able to come and go without the crowds impeding Him.

Jesus was compassionate. His sternness was because if the healed men went and told everyone, it would make His movement difficult (which it did). It was a case of helping the afflicted, which in due time would become an edifying sign of Jesus's divinity, but having too much publicity too early caused mob scenes that hindered our Lord's ability to come and go freely.

My take is, and there may be other views more on target than mine:

Our Lord probably weighed many things before he compassionately healed these persons. There was the compassion, and there is the witness of His divinity that was recorded and still aids us in knowing Him, but He would have much preferred to be able to come and go without the crowds impeding Him.

Amen Siloam and there is yet a little more to this......not only did this change how Jesus was going to speak ( which was no problem, for God still can do things more then one way )
HOWEVER in this mans disobedience by not doing what he was straightly charged to do he did not go to the preist as Jesus had charged him to do so in this mans disobedience ( which he thought he was helping Jesus ) The preist did NOT get ministered too as Jesus had said.

So when we disobey even when it looks like it is a better way or helping Jesus or bringing glory to Jesus even in the littlest of ways..........it is still disobedience and something did not happen as it should and People wonder why they do not see their prayers answered some times. It is not what we think but what does the word say and what are we told to do.

Thank you Siloam for this reply.
God Bless
Jim

Back