Was Simon Saved?

Look at these two verses:
Acts 8:13 (NIV)
13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.
Acts 8:18-20 (NIV)
18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money 19 and said, "Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit." 20 Peter answered: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!

I have been banned for showing that the rich young ruler had eternal life, and that simon's tale doesn't give enough information to know if he did or not get saved. Sounds to me that he just wanted to help folks out.

Look at these two verses:
Acts 8:13 (NIV)
13 Simon himself believed and was baptized. And he followed Philip everywhere, astonished by the great signs and miracles he saw.
Acts 8:18-20 (NIV)
18 When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money 19 and said, "Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit." 20 Peter answered: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money!

Money perish with you, could have been banishment or words spoken in anger like paul and the circumcision group that he wished.mauling of genitals on.... it doesn't finish the tale so we speculate, we just don't know.

Banned---- I defended an unorthodox position. If you don't say what people want to hear, expect to hear, have heard all their lives, you are a threat. When the threat is more prepared than you on the topic, or you can't answer the threat, they must eliminate the threat. That's the best guess I got?

Personally, if I haven't tried to prove my opponent's position in a debate, then I know I don't yet understand it... so, Ilike the challenges, it helps empty cliches that have lost their meaning....

And there's that. I think we have a tendency to try to assume conclusions we can't yet back up..... or we can't conclude decisively.

So........is there a problem with considering Acts 8:22,24. in all this?
It seems to me that while Peter was a tad disgusted with Simon, he did not write him off as a total uninsured loss.
V22 sees Peter conceding the possibility of restoration.
V24 indicated that Simon was now aware of his sin and was wanting forgiveness. Whether he repented for himself we are not told, but asking for intersession is neither new nor wrong. cf. Job 42:8,9.

Acts 8 says Simon believed and was baptized. It means he was saved. How many of us early on in our walk did NOT understand? Peter was severe with him but that was Peter's nature. Look what happened to Ananias and his wife.
The rest of Acts 8 that deals with this makes clear Simon understood and prayed according to his new understanding as depicted in verse 24. We will know when we get to Eternal Life I suppose.

Back