Watching Movies - Opinion?

What do you guys think about watching movies? Do you watch movies? If so, have you ever felt conviction that may be you should stop? If you have watched before and stopped watching now, what made you to take that decision?

I used to watch movies until a few years back. As I started learning Bible in a slightly deeper way, I stopped watching. Few reasons which stand out,

- It does not bring glory to God
- It opens up avenues for the enemy to tempt me and make we fall very easily
- Takes up a big chunk of time in which I could do other things like Bible study, prayer or just fellowship within my family.
- Hollywood implicitly (and often explicitly as well) conveys a message which is against Bible. I don't want my mind to be open to such ideas.
- Too much of sexual content. It takes me a lot to overcome in the area of lust. So I try to keep doors closed and not put myself in a situation where I will be tested beyond a limit.

I learn a lot from television and movies. The key is knowing how to separate the you-know-what from the good stuff.

Mark 7:20-23 ESV
And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.”

Philippians 4:8 ESV
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Psalm 101:3 ESV
I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me.

I am guilty of watching tv and my family is in the process of cutting down drastically. I truly believe what we see and hear drastically affects us in our spiritual walk.

Hollywood hates Christians, and no other group would be as tenth as tolerant of being smeared as Christians are.

I haven't been to a movie in years. And, the few I watch at home are mostly aimed a children. I watch a number of old movies. Right now, Hulu has Androcles and the Lion, made in the 1950s when Hollywood was still ran predominantly by Christians. It's a nice movie, even for people who don't like old movies. It's funny and well-written.

I use discretion when deciding which on movies. I suspect that for some who tend to be more pliable to certain activity, avoiding movies (if they are weak to them) ought to step back.

I love movies -- mostly older movies. I love Frank Capra movies like It's a Wonderful Life, musicals like Oklahoma! and Singin' in the Rain, classic comedies like A Night at the Opera, and dramas like 12 Angry Men and Gone with the Wind.

I find some movies inspiring like Remember the Titans and Chariots of Fire, and some just brilliantly made like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

If I felt weakened due to movies, then I think it would be a good idea to step away from them to avoid focusing my attention to those more so than God.

I use discretion when deciding which on movies. I suspect that for some who tend to be more pliable to certain activity, avoiding movies (if they are weak to them) ought to step back.

I love movies -- mostly older movies. I love Frank Capra movies like It's a Wonderful Life, musicals like Oklahoma! and Singin' in the Rain, classic comedies like A Night at the Opera, and dramas like 12 Angry Men and Gone with the Wind.

I find some movies inspiring like Remember the Titans and Chariots of Fire, and some just brilliantly made like The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

If I felt weakened due to movies, then I think it would be a good idea to step away from them to avoid focusing my attention to those more so than God.
Cinderella man almost brought me to tears.

Greetings:
All modern movies are Satanic.After Satan was released from hell after 2,000 years of peace(Jewish years),he took the bus to
Hollywood.If you can't stop after anything spewed your way and ask a question,then your mind can be controlled.Love books,you can stop and go to ref-books or the internet.

bye

The old church wouldn't let us go to movies, so when my son invited me to a movie after we had left the church, that was a BEEEEEEEG Deal! He took me out to see Prince of Egypt when it was just out. I loved it! I haven't gone to see very many since, but when I go to see one, if it bothers me, I leave.

My husband likes some movies. The last one we went to, we shouldn't have. It caused our first big, major verbal fight. Not good. We still don't agree about it.

It's the same as watching the news. Violence is everywhere. No point in trying to hide under a rock from it.
Then why avoid hell.. Just kidding

But isn't this really accepting something as standard when there is no need to? Hollywood is trying to set new standards . Why Christians should accept or embrace it?

Though all good movies , how do you manage a kissing scene in the movie?

Greetings:
All modern movies are Satanic.After Satan was released from hell after 2,000 years of peace(Jewish years),he took the bus to
Hollywood.If you can't stop after anything spewed your way and ask a question,then your mind can be controlled.Love books,you can stop and go to ref-books or the internet.

bye
What about that Christian movie that just came out?

Though all good movies , how do you manage a kissing scene in the movie?

We're just talking your standard ol' meat and potatoes, mom and pop, regular kissing scenes? I watch them. I never felt I was watching something extremely lustful when I saw Brian Keith kiss Maureen O'Hara in the Parent Trap.

What do you guys think about watching movies? Do you watch movies? If so, have you ever felt conviction that may be you should stop? If you have watched before and stopped watching now, what made you to take that decision?

I used to watch movies until a few years back. As I started learning Bible in a slightly deeper way, I stopped watching. Few reasons which stand out,

- It does not bring glory to God
- It opens up avenues for the enemy to tempt me and make we fall very easily
- Takes up a big chunk of time in which I could do other things like Bible study, prayer or just fellowship within my family.
- Hollywood implicitly (and often explicitly as well) conveys a message which is against Bible. I don't want my mind to be open to such ideas.
- Too much of sexual content. It takes me a lot to overcome in the area of lust. So I try to keep doors closed and not put myself in a situation where I will be tested beyond a limit.

Only watch documentaries.
Just like will only read non-fiction.

There are too many in the entertainment field that are only rehashing source material and not creating their own.

I cannot tell you how many times I see Shakespeare, The Brothers Grimm, Chaucer, Epic Poetry or The Bible being the basis of so much media.

I'd rather just go back to the classics and revisit them, than some tired, poorly scripted derivative.

made in the 1950s when Hollywood was still ran predominantly by Christians.

The founders of almost all the major motion pictures companies, from RKO to Universal were Jewish. Not Christian.

They were back then as they were now. They did not care what faith it was, will people come to see it? Make It!

I watch movies a lot. Most are very entertaining. After a long hard work week I like to go to dinner and then the theater. The last one I watched was Transformers.

When I was a kid I use to love scary movies. Now, if I happen on a trailer for a new horror flick I find the genre has graduated from moderate scary stuff unto deviant psychotic sick twisted garbage.
And that these type movies are rated PG-13 or R is even more disturbing. It programs the youth in concert with the violent video games, like Grand Theft Auto, the latest of which spawned behaviors copying attacks on innocent people on the streets, and which made news for awhile.
It's all something that desensitizes immature intellects to go numb to violent deviant assaultive behaviors.

After I started noticing that about horror movies gradually becoming more twisted over the years, I started to be very discriminatory toward all other genre as well.
Now I hardly watch any movies that are the standard fare. I haven't been to a theater in years. Those movies I do watch I borrow from the library or I may rent at Redbox.

We are what we consume when it comes to diet that feeds and nourishes our bodies. I don't see anything different about that when it comes to consuming that which occupies our audio-visual senses in what is deemed entertainment. Especially when in a dark theater where all our attentions and senses are focused on the lighted screen.
Our subconscious records everything without prejudice. The emotional responses that are spontaneously generated through audio-visual stimulus stays with us via the subconscious. It predisposes our psyche to prepare to react to the world at large after that input.

Be discriminatory in what you watch. On TV or at the movies. And with regard to music too.

It's all programming. Quality people don't consume garbage.

Back