What About Aadd? ( Adult Attention Deficit Disorder)

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/dec/03/add-and-loving-it/

This actor and the documentary he did in 2010, helped me to realize I had AADD, which was confirmed in 2011. Now that I am aware of it, I find myself being much more productive and also letting go of things I obsess over. Seems I have had ADD for many years. It is NOT a cop out for people to acknowledge they may have it. It is realizing there is something better ahead to help deal with it and be more productive.
If anyone want to talk about it, I'm willing to. I am NOT a Dr., and just like the last person who addressed this issue here on CFS, I'm hoping discussing it will bring some freedom.

I was "hyperactive" as a kid. Fortunately, my mom didn't put me on Ritalin as the doctor suggested she do. I don't know if I would still be diagnosed today as having ADHD. I was just thinking, with all the discussion these days of Asperger's and Autism and the like, as well as the removal or relabelling of certain conditions (in the DSM) which were once regarded as illnesses, perhaps it is time to stop thinking of it as a "disorder." I don't agree with all the decisions made regarding the DSM, but I think we have been a little quick to label a condition a disorder which does not fit in a narrow band we regard as "the norm."

I was "hyperactive" as a kid. Fortunately, my mom didn't put me on Ritalin as the doctor suggested she do. I don't know if I would still be diagnosed today as having ADHD. I was just thinking, with all the discussion these days of Asperger's and Autism and the like, as well as the removal or relabelling of certain conditions (in the DSM) which were once regarded as illnesses, perhaps it is time to stop thinking of it as a "disorder." I don't agree with all the decisions made regarding the DSM, but I think we have been a little quick to label a condition a disorder which does not fit in a narrow band we regard as "the norm."

Regrettably there are a few 'disorders' that manifest themselves in childhood or teenage years. I don't know what DSM is, but I have seen normal hyperactivity wrongly labelled as ADHD. There is also one labelled ODD ( Oppositional Defiance Disorder) and I have seen it in action. It is quite hard to handle unless the kid is on meds. I think, don't know, that I witnessed a person with Asperger's on one of the Forums I was on.
In any event I can only really talk about what I have personally experienced. I do remember a common theme when I was growing up, that was always on my report cards. "Stanley is a very smart pupil, but just doesn't apply himself."
For me it was more a matter of COUDLN'T than WOULDN'T.

Hey Rumely why did the acronym in my OP title change? It was AADD.

Rumely, already an Adult ADHD thread here in Clubs (at the bottom). Now a new AADD. Just wondering if it may be helpful to all to combine them under the new name? (Just a thought.)

Hee-hee-hee! The post right above this one is quite hard on people with ADD. That may be why it has been the last post since 16 June! :D

Back