What are you studying / reading right now?

AtomicSnowflake

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
Just curious as to what everyone is currently reading or studying at the moment... what topic, person, book, or event has your attention at the moment.
As for myself, I've been working on not allowing myself to fall into the trap of allowing the actions, or inactivity, of others have a negative or distracting affect on me...
Such as not becoming discouraged, angry, sad, or bitter due to people and/or particular circumstances.
The first place I find myself going to is always James. I have also been listening to some really good sermons on Joseph, (as well as those that are posted here on CFS). As well as reading F.B. Meyers Tried By Fire.
What are you reading and what are some of your "go-to" books, verses, topics?

Oh yes all of it. Will get you some links shortly :)

I also have a sermon that God has ministering to me from. I'll get it uploaded to my Dropbox and get you a link so you can hear it too.

When I had difficulty thinking straight.. It was like drinking water for my spirit and soul

Warning..I am a big reader, so this will be a longish post.

Proverbs, always go to Proverbs for wisdom.
I recently read a tribute to Billy Graham by his son a book called 'in my Fathers eyes'. I find it interesting that Billy Grahams wife Ruth grew up in China. Its amazing that Billy Graham went to so many places and could reach so many people worldwide with the gospel in the last 20th century. And now we have internet and broadband networks so the Word can spread even more! Back in Jesus day to send a message you had to literally walk to where you wanted to go, or catch a boat...or maybe fly a pigeon, there was no instant message system. It was harder to reach people. So much has changed!
The book is very 'preachy' but then this is a book about a famous preacher so I guess thats what you can expect. I am not sure Billy Graham liked to have a library named after him though. Although they say its a library with only one book - The Bible.

My bible study at the moment is about being adopted into a royal family - And being co-heirs with Jesus. Ephesians.

The other books I am reading is Laura Ingalls Wilder series of childrens books growing up in the pioneer days of america. Famously known for Little House on the Prairie. Most books she mentions what happens at Christmas, one year the church they attend gives them all gifts from a christmas tree. Because they are poor they dont expect much, at most, a christmas candy in their stocking, but the richer folk decide to give the girls in the family new fur coats and mufflers. Laura is sometimes jealous of her older sister Mary who is prettier and always well-behaved. Laura often falls short. But when Mary becomes blind, Laura becomes her eyes ...and her descriptions plant the seed of her becoming a writer.

Its so interesting to read of things like how to make a bobsled, a log cabin, how to stack hay, make a well, level a railroad, milk a cow, make boots, etc. I can identify with Laura though being the second daughter and her experiences of living in her little house.. and keeping the wolves from the door. Literally!

I'm working on some of the same things you are working on Atomic Snowflake. I find that God gives me many things to do but He doesnt let other people discourage me from moving forward. If I cant move forward on one thing, and I get stuck and frustrated, I remember He has me move upward by calling upon Him.

Oh also been reading some of ben avrahams short stories posted on CFS.

There's a devotion I read every morning. Its for women called 'the Beauty of the Lord' I find this devotional really good for me. It will have one verse each day to meditate on and some commentary and then space to write down your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for sharing those, Lanolin. Sounds like you've got quite a great stash of reading material.... and the way you describe the books makes them sound so appealing! It sounds cool that not only are you getting to read about the life lessons in them, but also get a taste of what life was like on the practical side of things... like well digging and making boots!
And yes, Billy Graham did much for God.... he has been a blessing for many, many people. God sure did keep him busy!

If you go to flcbranson.org and click on free downloads look for the series called week of increase 2018 and God's will is success. Those are the two series that the Lord has had us chewing on for about a month or so.

Hope they help and give you some good meat to chew on :)

Refining a Technical Bible Study presentation for my students from the King James Version, Nativity Chapters, in the Book of Luke. As you may know, Luke was a trained medical doctor (Colossians 4:14) and as such, spoke and wrote in very technical terms. The Book of Luke Nativity Chapters establishes a documented technical timeline regarding the birth of Christ.

Just curious as to what everyone is currently reading or studying at the moment... what topic, person, book, or event has your attention at the moment.
As for myself, I've been working on not allowing myself to fall into the trap of allowing the actions, or inactivity, of others have a negative or distracting affect on me...
Such as not becoming discouraged, angry, sad, or bitter due to people and/or particular circumstances.
The first place I find myself going to is always James. I have also been listening to some really good sermons on Joseph, (as well as those that are posted here on CFS). As well as reading F.B. Meyers Tried By Fire.

Currently reading "Ashamed of the Gospel" by John MacArthur. It explains why I feel so bewildered in my search for a Bible-teaching church home. Even though the information is primarily aimed at pastors, it is easily applicable to my individual walk and as I said, helpful in my church search.

I've been feeling that God is wanting to 'refine me in fire' like He says happens to Gold when it gets purified. Specifically, wanting to root out my hypocrisy and attitude I have towards others.

The best place to do this for me are from the 4 gospels. This is when the most unhypocritical person of all time walked the Earth. Not only did He leave a great example to follow, He also revealed the hypocrisy in others that were living.

I feel conviction when I read a story like the adulterous women that the pharisees brought to Jesus to stone. His answer was brilliant and really shone light on the hypocrisy that the religious leaders of their day had. It reminds me to look at where I am casting stones on others, and not thinking about the stones that will be cast on me for my actions!

I, also, take courage in the thought of taking the rafter out of my own eye first, so I can help my brother with the speck in his eye. By God refining myself in the fire and purifying me of my sins; I am better equipped to help my brothers or sisters in Christ when they are in such a need.

In peace

Back