What are your favourite genres?

What kind of books do you enjoy reading the most? And why?

For me its memoirs, biography and autobiography...true stories. I like them especially memoirs because its good to read a first hand account of someones life experiences. And they are all different cos people are all different.

Hello Lanolin;

Thank you for asking. Most of my reading are texts that reference the Bible. But I do enjoy watching dvd movies on the Gospels, Acts, Joseph, Bible characters that go "Word for Word" from the Scripture.

God bless you and your family.

I saw this documentary called Bible A History which was very interesting.
It had 7 episodes with 7 different people going on journeys interpreting a section of the Bible. The last episode was about Revelation, which is my favourite book.

Even though some of its scary, it has a happy ending! I saw the isle of Patmos where John wrote it, and the rock that was said to have split in three when he encountered the Lord. Then various people share their interpretstions, from literal, to symbolic, from people facing climate change to tyranny and injustice to civil rights. They find inspiration and apply the ultimate battle between good and evil to their circumstances.

I saw this documentary called Bible A History which was very interesting.
It had 7 episodes with 7 different people going on journeys interpreting a section of the Bible. The last episode was about Revelation, which is my favourite book.

Even though some of its scary, it has a happy ending! I saw the isle of Patmos where John wrote it, and the rock that was said to have split in three when he encountered the Lord. Then various people share their interpretstions, from literal, to symbolic, from people facing climate change to tyranny and injustice to civil rights. They find inspiration and apply the ultimate battle between good and evil to their circumstances.
Aside from the Bible, do not really do much recreational reading. I guess this is due to the volume of reading associated with my work and, after three master's, I am practically read out. I am; however, a big "zombie" movie watcher, as well as space related Sci Fi.

Hmm would people rather watch dvds than read books just wondering.

I dont consider reading textbooks much fun! I also need to read those for study and while interesting and informative I dont enjoy it as much as reading a good story.

I have found that my reading interests tend to change and shift a bit sometimes. I like reading that allows me to learn something... to gain some knowledge, skill, or understanding...
Bible and scripture study, research, cultural background, word studies, topics, application, sermons, commentaries, etc.
Things that teach me skills.... woodworking, agriculture, programming, gardening, food preservation, health benefits & uses of herbs, learning how to manage & care for farm animals, organic gardening...
Pretty much anything that can teach me something useful...lol
--
As for preferring movies to books... it depends on the book/movie. For quick access to info movies / documentaries are useful... but for retaining that information, books rule :)

Hmm would people rather watch dvds than read books just wondering.

I dont consider reading textbooks much fun! I also need to read those for study and while interesting and informative I dont enjoy it as much as reading a good story.
My watching habits are a bit off. I actually have favorite series (Star Trek (Enterprise and the New Generation)), which I have watched several times over. The same thing with some movies. The Burbs I have watched at least 20 times.

Today I am watching a documentary on pre-historic man:

Croods.JPG

I have found that my reading interests tend to change and shift a bit sometimes. I like reading that allows me to learn something... to gain some knowledge, skill, or understanding...
Bible and scripture study, research, cultural background, word studies, topics, application, sermons, commentaries, etc.
Things that teach me skills.... woodworking, agriculture, programming, gardening, food preservation, health benefits & uses of herbs, learning how to manage & care for farm animals, organic gardening...
Pretty much anything that can teach me something useful...lol
--
As for preferring movies to books... it depends on the book/movie. For quick access to info movies / documentaries are useful... but for retaining that information, books rule :)
I like gardening books too. They are the only ones I keep on my shelves apart from the Bible and dictionary.

Although I do read a bit, it is less for 'enjoyment' than the satisfaction of learning something new, or clearing up a point of personal confusion. I do seem have acquired a fairly large, if a little eclectic non fiction library, A lot of stuff addressing the tension between the sciences and matters of faith. Most of my additions in the past few years have been electronic.

Where I live now there is minimal internet other than Satellite based (I use a cellular based Wifi hot spot) and no cable comes up by my house. I do have satellite for TV and news.

There are times in the winter when I don't wish to shovel our drive or I am tired in an evening after taking care of the place, so I have quite a few DVDs and BluRays .

Among those I like most are older ones like
Lawrence of Arabia
Fiddler on the Roof

Cecil B Demille's The Ten Commandments

I also have a few selections aimed at younger audiences (but I like to watch hem too occasionally), including the Croods ( like rtm3039 )

I dont have any dvds just borrow them.
I tend to borrow travelogues cos I cant afford to go anywhere. Then you can travel without going on an airplane or boat without being sick.
With books you can go round the world without leaving home. And do a bit of time travelling too. So I been to many many places around the world. Cos I dont just read about my own country.

I dont have any dvds just borrow them.
I tend to borrow travelogues cos I cant afford to go anywhere. Then you can travel without going on an airplane or boat without being sick.
With books you can go round the world without leaving home. And do a bit of time travelling too. So I been to many many places around the world. Cos I dont just read about my own country.
Lanolin, you have a very unique way of looking at life. God love you, young lady.

For me its memoirs, biography and autobiography...true stories. I like them especially memoirs because its good to read a first hand account of someones life experiences. And they are all different cos people are all different.
I read bishop macedo's books that he publishes to is church. I am a member of the UCKG.

I read bishop macedo's books that he publishes to is church. I am a member of the UCKG.
Hello brothers and sisters;

For those who don't know the UCKG, is the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God and its home base is in São Paulo, Brazil.

The founder is Edir Macedo and has written many books, one concentration is on
prosperity religion. He is also a successful business man.

We touched on the UCKG and Macedo during seminary.

God bless
you all and your families.

I'm not familiar with UCKG.

I read a fair bit of christian literature though. At the moment it has dropped off a bit. I think some of it is a bit questionable but everyone has their different views so you can't say well they can't call that christian. I think Bible first, and then anything else is just someone's view about it.

It may or may not resonate with you. Personally I think the most brilliant christian book I have read apart from the Bible is John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress...which was written hundreds of years ago.

I like Biographies and memoirs, as well.

I also like to study the lives of past Saints like these as inspiration.

St Francis,
St Anthony of Padua
Jeanne Guyon
Mary of Egypt
Hildegard von Bingen

Science fiction and Christian nonfiction/reference.

Back