What Are Your Views On Giving? What Does The Bible Say?

I know we are go give our tithes, give to the poor, the widows and orphans, and to give freely, but what exactly does the scripture say?

I can add a bit to this. Matthew 5:42 says, ""Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away"
Luke 6:30 " Give to every one who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back"
Let him keep it is my understanding.
Ephesians 4:28 " Let him who stole steal no longer,but rather let him labor, working with his hands what is good, that he may have something to give him who has need.
I understand this as to give him a job so he does not need to steal from you any more but rather that he may have enough to give to some one else that has need.
Hope that helps you brother :)

I know we are go give our tithes, give to the poor, the widows and orphans, and to give freely, but what exactly does the scripture say?

If we accept the commandments of God to not murder, lie, steal and so on, why would we think that giving 10% is not just as valid?

If we accept the commandments of God to not murder, lie, steal and so on, why would we think that giving 10% is not just as valid?

The old covenant required 10 percent. The new covenant does not specify a percentage.

Money = time = life spent on getting it. Money = life, no wonder people don't want to give it up. Of course, laying down one's life and praying for the lost, or witnessing to others, or just living a Godly life in front of those in darkness is giving, and not just 10% but 100%.

Money = time = life spent on getting it. Money = life, no wonder people don't want to give it up. Of course, laying down one's life and praying for the lost, or witnessing to others, or just living a Godly life in front of those in darkness is giving, and not just 10% but 100%.
I like that! Well said.

The old covenant required 10 percent. The new covenant does not specify a percentage.

I am aware of that. Bible infers that 10% is the minimum doesn't it?

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

While that is true, that kind of thinking will not pay the electric bill or water bill due at the church you go to worship at.
And of course if you want a Pastor, then you will need to pay him just like the Scriptures explain.

The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10% of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle / Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). I do understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites of the sacrificial system.

What I am saying is that if the Commandments given in Ex. were valid, thou shalt not kill, steal and lie, why would we throw away the commands to tithe? No we are not under Law but grace, but does that mean the commands to tithe were somehow less valid than the ones in Ex?

Isn't a command from God a command?

Yes sir, I think everyone knows that, but if God commanded 10% when under the Law, and Paul says we are to give as we are blessed, wouldn't that mean we should give more than 10%?

I am aware of that. Bible infers that 10% is the minimum doesn't it?

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Genesis 14:20 (KJV)
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

Back to the Hebrew:

- Original: מעשׂר
- Transliteration: Ma`aser
- Phonetic: mah-as-ayr'
- Definition:
1. tithe, tenth part

Yes sir, I think everyone knows that, but if God commanded 10% when under the Law, and Paul says we are to give as we are blessed, wouldn't that mean we should give more than 10%?
Yes, I see 10% as a minimum. That goes to the church. Anything above that goes to Christian charities or if they church is still in need, give there. I don't see a tithe as giving. It's already Gods. Anything above that is giving.

That's cool @Major The only autograph I have is from Tim Berners-Lee - the real author of the Internet. I met him at a conference right after Gore's comment :)

I am glad for Major's post # 360928. :) (Don't forget, Major, that the tithe you mention was also for a big picnic for everyone as well.)

No, I don't tithe, no, I don't believe in tithing because there is no Temple; I just give.

Yes, I give to my synagogue, my husband's church, my shul's college, the poor, a particular food pantry, etc., etc., etc....and I'll bet all of you give similarly! I think we don't even think about how much and how often we give; that's a good thing!

Back