What bible version do you most read

Just wondering if we on the same page cos I notice I some people are quoting different versions and it gets to be really confusing. You might be talking about something but then someone says something different and they using a different version and then says you wrong, its biblical but they only reading ESV or NIV which doesnt even have half the verses KJV has.

So with me its always going to be KJV. I dont quote or refer to any other versions. But thats just me.

Ok I must be the only one..

I will just make sure I put KJV on any bible quotes so people dont get confused if they reading a different version.

Just wondering if we on the same page cos I notice I some people are quoting different versions and it gets to be really confusing. You might be talking about something but then someone says something different and they using a different version and then says you wrong, its biblical but they only reading ESV or NIV which doesnt even have half the verses KJV has.

So with me its always going to be KJV. I dont quote or refer to any other versions. But thats just me.
I've used several, but I like the language in NIV. Sometimes, I do compare several versions of the same passage. I do this for the reasons you have stated.

rtm3039

I use KJV mostly... and also ESV, and many times as I study, I'll look up words and phrases, (even common ones), just simply because the ones used are not always the best at getting across the intended meaning/context/background. It's also helpful to do word studies, and learn of the culture, history, beliefs, etc that were common at that time.

Many times we read something that is plainly written, and we THINK we know what it says & means, when really we're not getting the correct or full understanding.

I see many disagreements that are unnecessary, if we would just take time to study using better methods.
--
As for certain other versions, there are some that I just don't care for because they seem to word things in such a way as to sort of diminish the meanning Christ's work on the cross, and also the Holy spirit.

A little history might be interesting. Back in the 1890's, Professor James Strong and several associates, stringently evaluated all Bible versions of the era and chose the KJV to key their "Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible" to. At that time, the KJV was the most accurate translation that the scholars evaluated and even today, many Biblical scholars feel that the KJV is still the most accurate.

In 2002, my own committee of volunteer analysts agreed that the KJV was less manipulated than any other version that we evaluated. Our ministry uses the KJV and the vintage* Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible (pre 1991) from Nelson Publishing, for instruction. We also found that the New Living Translation Bible (NLT) is as accurate, in general terms, as the KJV, but is written in modern English. We use the NLT as a daily reader. If we see something in the NLT that we wish to do an in-depth study on, we go to the same verse or wording in the KJV and then take the wording back to the original Hebrew, Aramaic or 'street' Greek, using the vintage* Strong's Exhaustive Concordance, for a better understanding.

(Note *: Some Concordances published after 1991 from publishers other than Nelson Publishing, have been manipulated and in some cases, no longer provide proper clarity in concepts for word usage.)

I'd like to also mention that our ministry is non revenue generating. We do not accept any funding, tithing, free will gifts, contributions, or donations at any time from anyone. We teach from the heart - not from what might be found in someone's wallet or check book.

My personal preference is the World English Bible (WEB). I do compare it with others regularly. So far I have only found one case of a difference from KJV that disturbed me, and that turned out to be a difference in the Greek manuscripts. The WEB is based on the Byzantine/Majority text.

It is helpful to include the version abbreviation with a scripture reading, but easy to forget -- sometimes the version is not remembered for certain when the final post is made, and it's better to leave it off than to guess wrong.

If you only quoting from one version then you cant really go wrong as thats the one you always read anyway.

I dont think I can handle reading 13 different versions all at once. Maybe just for one verse but not the entire book.

I usually use KJV or NIV. I usually go for KJV and then look stuff up. KJV can sometimes be alittle challenging to read but I love to read so I like doing the research.

I attend two churches. One is conservative and traditional. They use King James exclusively.

The other church is much more 'modern'. They use a variety. I attend a couple of weekly mens studies and there are a variety of versions used. I am often blessed by hearing and meditating on an alternate translation.

When studying with my wife, we use KJV. For my personal use, I reach for my New American Standard.

When deep studying where nuance becomes important, I often check Young's Literal Translation and New International just for additional renderings.

Sometimes my use of KJV is because of the helps. I use the Scofield Chain Reference and in New King James I have a Nelson Study Bible.

One should be aware of the kind of translation eg whether it is based upon thought for thought or word for word as well as whether the translators attempted to adjust for current culture.

I use an old Scofield KJV, an old Webster's, and an old Strong's concordance; all weigh a ton. I actually read it from cover to cover complete with all the references once. I also like the Oxford with its historical summaries at the beginning of each book. The books of the apocrypha also contain historical accounts such as the celebration of Hanukkah in detail. I find them still to be enlightening text, if not spiritually inspired as much debated.

Last edited:
I find the CEV which we were given to use for children, too simplistic and missing a lot of meaning. I didnt like when teachers used memory verse from it because the ones from CEV were actually harder to remember cos they had MORE words. Or they cut phrases out that the KJV had.

Does anyone read Graphic bibles or Comic Book Bibles? Illustrated Bibles?

There's several available and just wondering if there is a favourite. (For my children at school)

I saw a Bible comic that has a lot to offer, but it is suitable for older teenagers only. It uses the WEB translation, and includes the entire text content. I will link to it anyway, for comparison with others.

Unabridged, historically rich graphic novel of the Bible with a high view of scripture.

They provide a free preview of chapter 1 of the book of Esther, which anyone can read online, or it can be downloaded if you create an account.

I am probably not the best person to evaluate the ones that would work better for your students, but I will keep my eye open if I see others.

Edit: Here's a list of ten illustrated Bibles:

The 10 Best Illustrated Bibles

Last edited:
Thanks..my children are years 0-6 ie. 5 year olds to 11 year olds.

I found the Action Storybook Bible a bit more to their level and appeal.

Back