What books are you reading?

cool!

I am reading a Karen Kingsbury book for fiction, for a teaching, I am reading In The Secret Place by Dr. Dale A. Fife...and um..oh yeah, a time travel christian fiction...it is good...Fall from Babel. Yes, I read 3 or 4 books at a time...love it.

"The Journal of the Unknown Prophet." fabulous book - getting a lot out of it. Saw it promoted by T. B. on F.F. Told my wife we should get it. She said we have had it for years. (2005-2006) She didn't care for it. I'm not finished yet, but it may just be the most encouraging book I ever read.

Larry II

Unknown Prophet

"Listen" to parts of the book.

I am reading the book of Matthew from the Bible.

Also I am reading Parachute Infantry-David Kenyon Webster. It is a real account from WWII. I love to read about WWII history. It was such an interesting era.

I'm working through a few at the same time...

The Ministry, Offices, Procedures & Nomenclature
Theology and Practice of “the Divine Call”
Theology and Practice of the Lord’s Supper
Admission to the Lord’s Supper
The Pastor-Penitent Relationship: Privileged Communications
The Nature and Implications of the Concept of Fellowship
A Lutheran Stance Toward Ecumenism
Inter-Christian Relationships: An Instrument for Study
Report on Euthanasia with Guiding Principles
Christian Care at Life’s End
Human Sexuality: A Theological Perspective
Divorce and Remarriage: An Exegetical Study
Church Discipline in the Christian Congregation
Guidelines for Participation in Civic Events
The Council of Presidents. Commitments of the Shepherd: Principles of Conduct for Ordained Ministers. September, 1990.
Kraus, George R. and Norbert H. Mueller, editors. Pastoral Theology. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1990.
Walther, C. F. W. Pastorale: American Pastoral Theology by Dr. C. F. W. Walther. Translated and abridged by John M. Drickamer from the Fifth Edition, 1906. New Haven, Missouri: Lutheran News, Inc., 1995.

Chemnitz, Martin. Ministry, Word, and Sacraments. An Enchiridion. Translated by Luther Poellet. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1981.
Fritz, John H. C. Pastoral Theology: A Handbook of Scriptural Principles. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1932. (Reprinted in the Concordia Heritage Series.)
Grothe, Jonathan F. Reclaiming Patterns of Pastoral Ministry: Jesus and Paul. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1988.
Luther’s Works. American Edition. Word and Sacrament, vols. 35, 36, 37, 38; Church and Ministry, vols. 39, 40, 41; The Christian in Society, vols 44, 45, 46, 47; Lutheran Liturgy and Hymns, vol. 53; Career of the Reformer, vols. 33, 35. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1958.
Lutheran Cyclopedia. Rev. Ed. Edited by Erwin L. Lueker. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1975. [Check on-line, LCMS.org.]
Lutheran Worship: History and Practice. Edited by Fred L. Precht. St.Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1993.
Neuhaus, Richard John. Freedom for Ministry. San Francisco: Harper & Row Publishers, 1979.
Oden, Thomas C. Classical Pastoral Care: Becoming a Minister. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Bookhouse Co., 1987.
Pastoral Theology: Essentials of Ministry. San Francisco: Harper Collins Publishers, 1983.
Pieper, Franz. Christian Dogmatics. Vol. 3. Translated by W. F. Albrecht. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1953.
A Reader in Pastoral Theology: Articles from LOGIA, A Journal of Lutheran Theology. Ft. Wayne, IN: Concordia Theological Seminary Press, 2002.
Rengstorf, Karl Heinrich. Apostolate and Ministry. Translated by Paul D. Pahl. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1969.
Sasse, Hermann. We Confess. Translated by Norman Nagel. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1984-1986.
Willimon, William H. Pastor: The Theology and Practice of the Ordained Ministry. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2002.

..........Other than those, I'm just goofing around on the internet.

OH! And working an hour on Sundays! :D

I just finished reading The Shack. Normally I don't like fiction, but this is an exceptional read. It is one of those books that you can't put down and it makes you laugh, cry, and want to start it all over again. It holds so much truth in it. I think everyone should give a try. Next is finally the one I have been looking for for awhile called Absolute Surrender. So far, it is simply wonderful and rich. I love to read! Sweets

I'm working through a few at the same time...

The Ministry, Offices, Procedures & Nomenclature
Theology and Practice of “the Divine Call”
Theology and Practice of the Lord’s Supper
Admission to the Lord’s Supper
The Pastor-Penitent Relationship: Privileged Communications
The Nature and Implications of the Concept of Fellowship
A Lutheran Stance Toward Ecumenism
Inter-Christian Relationships: An Instrument for Study
Report on Euthanasia with Guiding Principles
Christian Care at Life’s End
Human Sexuality: A Theological Perspective
Divorce and Remarriage: An Exegetical Study
Church Discipline in the Christian Congregation
Guidelines for Participation in Civic Events
The Council of Presidents. Commitments of the Shepherd: Principles of Conduct for Ordained Ministers. September, 1990.
Kraus, George R. and Norbert H. Mueller, editors. Pastoral Theology. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1990.
Walther, C. F. W. Pastorale: American Pastoral Theology by Dr. C. F. W. Walther. Translated and abridged by John M. Drickamer from the Fifth Edition, 1906. New Haven, Missouri: Lutheran News, Inc., 1995.

Chemnitz, Martin. Ministry, Word, and Sacraments. An Enchiridion. Translated by Luther Poellet. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1981.
Fritz, John H. C. Pastoral Theology: A Handbook of Scriptural Principles. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1932. (Reprinted in the Concordia Heritage Series.)
Grothe, Jonathan F. Reclaiming Patterns of Pastoral Ministry: Jesus and Paul. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1988.
Luther’s Works. American Edition. Word and Sacrament, vols. 35, 36, 37, 38; Church and Ministry, vols. 39, 40, 41; The Christian in Society, vols 44, 45, 46, 47; Lutheran Liturgy and Hymns, vol. 53; Career of the Reformer, vols. 33, 35. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1958.
Lutheran Cyclopedia. Rev. Ed. Edited by Erwin L. Lueker. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1975. [Check on-line, LCMS.org.]
Lutheran Worship: History and Practice. Edited by Fred L. Precht. St.Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1993.
Neuhaus, Richard John. Freedom for Ministry. San Francisco: Harper & Row Publishers, 1979.
Oden, Thomas C. Classical Pastoral Care: Becoming a Minister. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Bookhouse Co., 1987.
Pastoral Theology: Essentials of Ministry. San Francisco: Harper Collins Publishers, 1983.
Pieper, Franz. Christian Dogmatics. Vol. 3. Translated by W. F. Albrecht.St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1953.
A Reader in Pastoral Theology: Articles from LOGIA, A Journal of Lutheran Theology. Ft. Wayne, IN: Concordia Theological Seminary Press, 2002.
Rengstorf, Karl Heinrich. Apostolate and Ministry. Translated by Paul D. Pahl. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1969.
Sasse, Hermann. We Confess. Translated by Norman Nagel. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1984-1986.
Willimon, William H. Pastor: The Theology and Practice of the Ordained Ministry. Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2002.

..........Other than those, I'm just goofing around on the internet.

OH! And working an hour on Sundays! :D

You are a busy man indeed!:D:cool:

Currently I am almost finished with Eragon by Christopher Paolini. Good book I reckon. :)
yea the "Eldest" is also a very good book (the second one) right now i am waiting for the third one to come out it is suposed to be released some time in september. right now i am re-reading the seventh harry potter book

Actually reading a few right now...

The Secret things of God...D. Henry Cloud
Everyday Faith...Terry Pluto
Good to Great in God's Eyes...Chip Ingram
Greater Works...Smith Wigglesworth
Secrets to Spiritual Power ...Watchman Nee
Secrets of a Strong Marriage...Frank and Mary Alice Minirth

Just saw the SECRET and GREAT threads among these books...mmm:cool::p

Well, I'd like to be able to provide a list of profound Christian works that I'm into, but alas. On my bedside table I've got two bibles, King James. The Acts of King Arthur by Steinbeck, two Tom Swift books by Victor Appleton, a Rick Brant Adventure by John Blaine, two Sci-fi short story collections, Mr. Midshipman Easy by Captain Marryat, the Marketing of Evil by David Kupelian. Also the collected short stories of Katherine Mansfield and Bleak House by Dickens. It will take me over a year to finish these, some may not be finished, and in that time others will be added of course, that's the way I read, little bits at a time, from various sources.

Long gone are the days when I could sit down and knock off a novel in day.:) The very thought of it seems like sin, now.

I'm still in Seminary. Those are the required readings for this semester. :)

I also have 3 or 4 books that I would "LIIKE" to read, but I'll have to wait for some "Spare Time." (If there is such a thing.) :D
Spare time - isn't that an oxymoron?:eek::p:eek::):D

Christ has given my brothers and sisters so much this last 2 millenia it would seem like a sin to me to ignore it. :)

Back