What can I do if I’m unable to set boundaries of pointless or dragging conversations and other forms of abuse?

I’ve been having difficulty with telling people that I don’t like conversations that drag for too long or are very unnecessary. This is typically what goes on between me and my relatives. I have depression and I get easily exhausted and irritable fairly quickly. I cannot stand conversations that ask me the same old questions over and over again and expect me to give them an answer, every. single. time. It gets on my nerves that they should know already what I’m doing and yet act like they’re too oblivious of their surroundings just to irritate me. Strangers, I can easily forgive, but relatives, who act like they know me more than I know myself, that is a different story.

I can’t count the never ending road of times I had to tell them I don’t want to have a conversation when I’m not in the mood. And I hear the same old excuse over and over and over again: “he/she/they just don’t know any better”. They constantly irritate me nonstop to the point where I end up losing my **** and tell them to mind their own business. Then they get angry with me and tell me I have no right to “smart-mouth” my family. Funny though how they get angry when I call them out on their amnesia-playing card, yet when I ask them something important only once, they tell me rudely to screw off. They will whine over minor things, but yet when I get upset over something that’s reasonable, I get told to shut my mouth and suck it up. This use the following to their advantage, to drag everything down with unnecessary topics while I’m in a bad mood to make me blow up, and when they succeed, they will blame everything on me. They know I’m easily tired and irritable, they just don’t care, and they will use it to make me even more miserable, and to make ME the problem.

I am an adult and I live in really crappy (seriously) roads in the deep end of the woods in the countryside. I’ve moved out almost two years ago, and they (especially my parents) still keep doing this to me. They act like I’m so unpredictable and difficult, when all they are doing is acting naïve to their child’s personal problems. I tried discussing my experiences of depression to my parents, but they kept dismissing as either I’m just faking it or I’m just making excuses to get away with my “unruly” behavior. Even if I’ve moved out, I’m still far away from the nearest town, which takes at least half an hour to get there by vehicle. Growing up, I got involved in fights my parents caused, I got so angry that I told them that I would move out and call the police on them. They attempted to keep me in line by claiming the police would only take ME away and that I would have nowhere to live but the insane asylum.

They accuse me of caring about no one else but myself, when clearly they didn’t give a **** over what they did to make me angry in the first place. They would constantly ground me for the fights and things THEY caused. They would apologize later on, but soon after they would go right back to the same behavior. But that was on a rare occasion. Usually they expect me to apologize for things I didn’t start, and it didn’t matter if they forgave me or not, they will lecture me on how much of a horrible daughter they’ve raised and tell me whenever I have my stuff back, I “turn into a viper”. They think having a fortunate and privileged child is spoiling them and is the spawn of Satan. They would sometimes call me the devil whenever they succeed in abusing me. I was “spoiled” growing up so it was no wonder they constantly labeled me as a drama queen and an ungrateful brat. They would also use corporal punishment when I “acted out”.

I’m literally crying over all this, because it deeply traumatized me growing up and it still does. I had so much fear discussing this here and I feel I’m going to get reprimanded for what I’ve described. But I have no choice. Any support will help. Thank you.

This is the verse in the bible that speaks to me when I feel like I am unable to do things I need to do.

(Isaiah 40:29)
He gives strength to the weary and strengthens the powerless.

---------------------------

I generally Pray on this verse, and EXPECT The Lord to help me, lovingly.
I can tell when its not Him.... thats usually the case when I am unloving or not being honest with myself either to myself or others.

The key is to EXPECT you will receive the right way to deal with this PTSDIn the asylum..(.that is what Faith is).

we are all learners here and continuously go to the bible for encouragement and help so we dont hurt others. it helps if you do the same because looking up some key verses and we can help with topic verses for things you are struggling with😊

people helped me here when I first started now I love meditating on bible verses.😊😊😊😊

May He Bless you abundantly 🙏🙏🙏

Praying He speaks to you in this situation as needs be.

Much Love.❤️

Last edited:
True healing begins with forgiveness. You need to let the past be in the past, whether that means not seeing those who have hurt you for a while or not is up to you. The first thing Jesus said after teaching the model prayer was if we don't forgive others of their sins against us neither will God forgive us of ours.
Only by forgiving them can you move forward in your life and feel the joy of the Lord in your life. It is a lot easier to say let go and let God have it than it is to actually do it. It is a process, but one that God will bless you and see you through it. I will be praying for you. God loves you.

Forgiveness
People are irritating in general. We all have rough edges at times.

If someone I know is constantly oversteppping the boundaries I put up (and so I don't box myself in) I just don't contact them anymore for space. Everyone needs some personal space.

Then go to God because he is a strong tower and the righteous run to Him. Then you'll be able to see things from a higher perspective.

I hope this helps you. I hear you. God hears you and He's bigger than all this drama, plus He'll heal your trauma if you let Him. Run to Him.

As for the woods. I think they could be a safe haven for you and you find some peace there. I was in a garden the other day that had like a little circle in a clearing under the trees. It was such a peaceful spot where one could sit and just be. There were three seats in a circle and some windchimes and a little fire pit so I guess it was a place where people could gather in groups of 2 or 3 or alone. Then those trees which had been growing for I don't know how long...imagine how old they are, and they grow tall and strong and how they support everyone with their timber making fire and planks for wood to build houses, fences etc. When they grow in the forest they like to be with other trees but also grow tall and straight to reach the light. They just need that bit of sun. Meditate on that for a bit.

God loves you and wants to heal you so you can have joy in your life. I know as I've suffered depression before and its not a great place to be for too long.

Back