What caused the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD?

Here is something I came across...

"Two types of forces drove the start of the revolution: the practical and the religious. As described in the Causes of the War, the lack of a strong central authority in Rome under the incompetent Nero left Judaean society exposed to many dangers: crime and terrorism, exploitation by corrupt governors, and anti-Jewish violence in the surrounding multicultural cities.

In this environment, some of the wealthy and powerful of Jerusalem, particularly the younger generation, felt the situation required they take governance into their own hands, while the rest of the aristocracy preferred to maintain the status quo.
The same weakness of the central government was felt across the Roman Empire, causing several provinces to revolt. But Judaea also had another factor: the belief that there was a religious duty, indeed a destiny, to overthrow the occupying government and assist a king anointed by Heaven -- a Messiah -- in renewing a pious Jewish state.

This belief had been a cause of sporadic insurgency among the lower classes beginning with Judas the Galilean at the time of the registration of Quirinius in 6 CE. Descendants of this same founder took part in the opening phase of the revolution, one of whom, Menahem, took the role of the Messiah for himself."...http://www.josephus.org/warChronology1.htm#factions

Thanks Bob Im not good at remembering all the Israelite Kings names. Sometimes those history books are kind of boring to be honest cos one King after the other kept doing evil in Gods eyes. I guess the only one I really need to know is King Jesus.

Here is something I came across...

"Two types of forces drove the start of the revolution: the practical and the religious. As described in the Causes of the War, the lack of a strong central authority in Rome under the incompetent Nero left Judaean society exposed to many dangers: crime and terrorism, exploitation by corrupt governors, and anti-Jewish violence in the surrounding multicultural cities.

In this environment, some of the wealthy and powerful of Jerusalem, particularly the younger generation, felt the situation required they take governance into their own hands, while the rest of the aristocracy preferred to maintain the status quo.
The same weakness of the central government was felt across the Roman Empire, causing several provinces to revolt. But Judaea also had another factor: the belief that there was a religious duty, indeed a destiny, to overthrow the occupying government and assist a king anointed by Heaven -- a Messiah -- in renewing a pious Jewish state.

This belief had been a cause of sporadic insurgency among the lower classes beginning with Judas the Galilean at the time of the registration of Quirinius in 6 CE. Descendants of this same founder took part in the opening phase of the revolution, one of whom, Menahem, took the role of the Messiah for himself."...http://www.josephus.org/warChronology1.htm#factions

It seems to me that the Jews revolted against Roman authority in 66 AD and the destruction of the Temple was part of the destruction of the city of Jerusalem.

The Roman general Titus hated the Jews and changed the name of the area to "Palestine" instead of Israel on the maps of that day.

It seems to me that the Jews revolted against Roman authority in 66 AD and the destruction of the Temple was part of the destruction of the city of Jerusalem.

The Roman general Titus hated the Jews and changed the name of the area to "Palestine" instead of Israel on the maps of that day.
But you have to understand the underlying reasons, they were waiting for the "Messiah" to come and then they could throw off the Roman rulers. Thus since Jesus didn't do as they "expected", it was a cause to reject Him and look for another, thus they were led to what caused the destruction of the city, as by " Menahem, took the role of the Messiah for himself."...

Are you saying the jews caused their own destruction?

I dont really know although the book of revelation seems to suggest the spiritual reason is idolatry with the whore of babylon...Bayblon the great is destroyed in one hour with fire because she had fornicated with kings. That is if you relate this book to what happened in 70 AD although the new Jerusalem didnt arrive physically. Otherwise heaven would be there right now.

Have to read all of Josephus to find out. Its a big book.

But yea NT apostles did warn of false christs and antichrists. And they would come from their own people cos they denied Jesus actually came in the flesh.

But you have to understand the underlying reasons, they were waiting for the "Messiah" to come and then they could throw off the Roman rulers. Thus since Jesus didn't do as they "expected", it was a cause to reject Him and look for another, thus they were led to what caused the destruction of the city, as by " Menahem, took the role of the Messiah for himself."...

In many ways that is a correct comment. The Jews idea of the Messiah was a warrior riding over the hilltop to set them free from Roman oppression.

Well Jesus knew their hearts and prophesized it:

Mark 13:1-2 King James Version (KJV)
1 And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here!
2 And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

Here is a site with stones thrown down near the Temple mount...http://www.egrc.net/articles/Rock/Land_Lessons/StonesDestruction.html

What do you all think of the dome of the rock?
Pretty or abomination?

Wonder if one day there will be an earthquake in Jerusalem again and all the buildings will fall. They could then plant some more trees there instead. Its looks pretty barren.

I guess there are different levels of explanation for the destruction of the temple, but it seems to me that Jesus summed it up for us in Luke 19 42-44 where he gives the reason "because you did not recognize the time of your visitation."

Further on in Luke Simeon & Anna recognize their Messiah, indicating that some Israelites were aware of, and understood the prophecy.

What do you all think of the dome of the rock?
Pretty or abomination?

Wonder if one day there will be an earthquake in Jerusalem again and all the buildings will fall. They could then plant some more trees there instead. Its looks pretty barren.
Well, how do you read these verses...

Luke 21:20-24 King James Version (KJV)
20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
24 And tey shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

They say it was the Romans, but prophecy says a 3rd temple will be built. Personally i am looking forward to it, because then we really will be in the end times.

Well, how do you read these verses...

Luke 21:20-24 King James Version (KJV)
20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23 But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
24 And tey shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
I guess you could say it's been 'trodden down' by the Gentiles. Although Jersualem has changed hands many times since then from Roman empire to Ottoman Empire to British and now to Zionists.

Back