What constitutes being a "Saint"?

I disagree that a 'saint' is the opposite of a sinner: since all of us "saved" 'saints' are but sinners saved by grace.

A 'saint' might be better defined as someone with faith in the One True God and His Son Jesus Christ pursuing holiness through the Word and Holy Spirit...(still a sinner saved by Grace).

OK with me!

What I'm reading from this thread is that there are two understandings of the word "saint," just as there are two understandings of the word "baptism".

Interesting because when I go into Google and look for a definition the first thing that comes up is the "Catholic" (but also Lutheran, Orthodox, Episopalian, etc.) definition which is:

saint
sānt/
noun
noun: saint; plural noun: saints; noun: Saint
a person acknowledged as holy or virtuous and typically regarded as being in heaven after death.

That is interesting. That same Google definition just a little further down says..............
used in titles of religious saints. (Again I contend that that is exactly what a believer in Christ is).
"the epistles of Saint Paul"

verb
verb: saint; 3rd person present: saints; past tense: sainted; past participle: sainted; gerund or present participle: sainting
  1. 1.
    formally recognize as a saint; canonize.
No one else has to but I think I will stick with the Bible Dictionary definition as seen on comment #18.

Merriam-Webster online says:

"a person who is officially recognized by the Christian church as being very holy because of the way he or she lived"

Note the tense there.

Saint in Hebrew:

- Original: קדשׁ קדושׁ
- Transliteration: Qadowsh
- Phonetic: kaw-doshe'
- Definition:
1. sacred, holy, Holy One, saint, set apart

In Greek: G40 ἅγιος hagios (hag'-ee-os) adj.
1. sacred
2. (physically) pure
3. (morally) blameless
4. (religious, ceremonially) consecrated

As defined by the word of God.

Exodus 19:5 (KJV)
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine:

Deuteronomy 14:2 (KJV)
For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that [are] upon the earth.

Deuteronomy 26:18 (KJV)
And the LORD hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that [thou] shouldest keep all his commandments;

Titus 2:14 (KJV)
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1 Peter 2:9 (KJV)
But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Why are they "peculiar"? Because to the world we are unusual or eccentric; odd.

Saint in Hebrew:

- Original: קדשׁ קדושׁ
- Transliteration: Qadowsh
- Phonetic: kaw-doshe'
- Definition:
1. sacred, holy, Holy One, saint, set apart

In Greek: G40 ἅγιος hagios (hag'-ee-os) adj.
1. sacred
2. (physically) pure
3. (morally) blameless
4. (religious, ceremonially) consecrated

As defined by the word of God.

Exodus 19:5 (KJV)
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine:

Deuteronomy 14:2 (KJV)
For thou [art] an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that [are] upon the earth.

Deuteronomy 26:18 (KJV)
And the LORD hath avouched thee this day to be his peculiar people, as he hath promised thee, and that [thou] shouldest keep all his commandments;

Titus 2:14 (KJV)
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

1 Peter 2:9 (KJV)
But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Why are they "peculiar"? Because to the world we are unusual or eccentric; odd.

Definitely on the right road here- "Christians" are supposed to be DIFFERENT- to be pursuing / 'following after' / 'learning of' Jesus Christ / God.

So that's why in this "do what you want" attitude in modern Christianity- because of the false doctrine of 'being free from the law' giving us a right to do what we want / what feels good- Baby Christians fall by the wayside over the silliest of things like: modest clothing, piercings, tattoos, exercise, diet, working on the 'Sabbath', etc etc... It is of he same spirit as the world-not the Holy Spirit.

YES! clothing, getting tattoos, piercings, your job etc...matter because if you are not pursing 'what is Holy'; you are not pursing what is RIGHTEOUS in the sight of God. We are only 'free from the law' IF/ WHEN we are "walking in the (Holy) Spirit"; which is far to few and far between for most "Christians" (self included).

We are supposed to be the weirdos walking among the lost casting salt and light about us drawing them into the Savior's love. We ARE NOT supposed to be 'blending in'; so camouflaged that the lost see no difference between us and them. We are are sons and daughters of the Most High-maybe we should act like it. Maybe we should ACT like SAINTS?

We are ONE in the Spirit-we ARE Paul, Peter, John, Moses, David, Abraham, Mary, Esther, Ruth, ----> JESUS! Maybe "Christian Saints" should be more recognizable....

I understand and agree with you. Now how are you going to convince the other Catholic believers of what you just said?

For info: having went to a Catholic school : )

The "Communion of Saints" is mentioned in the Apostles' creed, and it being asked/required to memorized...

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04171a.htm
The communion of saints is the spiritual solidarity which binds together the faithful on earth, the souls in purgatory, and the saints in heaven in the organic unity of the same mystical body under Christ its head,

Last edited:
Definitely on the right road here- "Christians" are supposed to be DIFFERENT- to be pursuing / 'following after' / 'learning of' Jesus Christ / God.

So that's why in this "do what you want" attitude in modern Christianity- because of the false doctrine of 'being free from the law' giving us a right to do what we want / what feels good- Baby Christians fall by the wayside over the silliest of things like: modest clothing, piercings, tattoos, exercise, diet, working on the 'Sabbath', etc etc... It is of he same spirit as the world-not the Holy Spirit.

YES! clothing, getting tattoos, piercings, your job etc...matter because if you are not pursing 'what is Holy'; you are not pursing what is RIGHTEOUS in the sight of God. We are only 'free from the law' IF/ WHEN we are "walking in the (Holy) Spirit"; which is far to few and far between for most "Christians" (self included).

We are supposed to be the weirdos walking among the lost casting salt and light about us drawing them into the Savior's love. We ARE NOT supposed to be 'blending in'; so camouflaged that the lost see no difference between us and them. We are are sons and daughters of the Most High-maybe we should act like it. Maybe we should ACT like SAINTS?

We are ONE in the Spirit-we ARE Paul, Peter, John, Moses, David, Abraham, Mary, Esther, Ruth, ----> JESUS! Maybe "Christian Saints" should be more recognizable....

Good comment! I agree with you.

Merriam-Webster online says:

"a person who is officially recognized by the Christian church as being very holy because of the way he or she lived"

Note the tense there.

2 Corth. 1:1......
"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
To the church of God that is at Corinth, with all the SAINTS who are in the whole of Achaia:"

Ephesians 1:1.....
"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
To the SAINTS who are in Ephesus, and are faithful in Christ Jesus".

Colossians 1:2.....
"To the SAINTS and faithful brothers[ in Christ at Colossae:
Grace to you and peace from God our Father."

Saints: God fearing, Bible believing, righteous seeking members of Christ's true Church who pursue Holiness in communion with each-other through the Holy Spirit; serving one another as they become humble servants to the lost following the example of Jesus Christ.

We worship God 'in Spirit/spirit'

Every All Saints Day, a priest in our parish gives the same homily in which he says that saints are parishioners are members of the church like in the song, The Saints Come Marchin' In.

Or a saint is an athlete on a football team in Louisiana.

Saints: God fearing, Bible believing, righteous seeking members of Christ's true Church who pursue Holiness in communion with each-other through the Holy Spirit; serving one another as they become humble servants to the lost following the example of Jesus Christ.

We worship God 'in Spirit/spirit'

Amen brother! Well said!

Every All Saints Day, a priest in our parish gives the same homily in which he says that saints are parishioners are members of the church like in the song, The Saints Come Marchin' In.

Or a saint is an athlete on a football team in Louisiana.

Both work for me!

Back