What Do You Mean Study!?

Is it really necessary to study God's Word and if so, how do I do it?

Hello Sam,

You ask a great question, because many of us want to rely on having the Bible read to us.

It is more than necessary to study God's Word. Its a command.

1 Timothy 4:13, Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. - ESV

But I do have a question for all of us. If we are too tired to read, or just flat out don't want to read, does God understand this and give us a day off and can resume the next day?

God bless you, brother, and your family.

Along with 1 Tim 4:13, I always think about:

1 Thes 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (KJV)
Matt 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. (KJV)

Bible study is very important. After all the Bible is the very word of God. God wants us to hunger and thirst for that which is right and the Bible and the Holy Spirit are two important sources of that knowledge. Ignoring God's word is like not listening to God because through the words of the Bible God speaks to us.

Hearing a sermon or listening to Bible readings only gives us knowledge of what others believe to be true. God wants us to prove them and be assured that they are God's words. We do this in our own Bible study.

There's a good book called "Bible Study Methods" by Rick Warren that details 12 different methods of Bible Study

cp

Hello Sam,

You ask a great question, because many of us want to rely on having the Bible read to us.

It is more than necessary to study God's Word. Its a command.

1 Timothy 4:13, Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. - ESV

But I do have a question for all of us. If we are too tired to read, or just flat out don't want to read, does God understand this and give us a day off and can resume the next day?

God bless you, brother, and your family.

I would agree because we are lovingly commanded and we have the privilege and power to seek his approval as he works in us with us to both will and empower us do his good pleasure. It is not just a good suggestion for the leaders .

In that way as apologist (all believers) we guard the armor that guards us .Without his armor we have no defense.

2 Timothy 2;15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

But how can we hear he has not left us an orphan without any prescriptions? What does it mean to rightly divide? What is it we do divide and not add and subtract if not the whole or perfect? (66 books) Would multiplying come into the language we study, is there a mixture?and how do we mix ?What does it mean that without parables Jesus spoke not hiding the gospel unseen understanding from those who do not study? Is there more than one level of understanding?

I think studying can go beyond reading, the book of law .(no theories of mankind) The Bible sets foundation by which can study as he continually brings to our minds the things He has taught us humbling us under his hearing or understanding. If we say he has not taught us how does mankind hear what he says to the churches (sects) if not God working in us then we have left our first love . God working in us with us giving us his understanding or faith

John14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

You cannot expect to grow in faith and ignore God's word.
The Bible provides a mirror into ones own heart. Without it one will rely too much on his own views.
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5 (KJV)
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes:
but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.
Proverbs 12:15 (KJV)

The Bible is the source of the best personal counsel. Polish that mirror and use it to perfect your faith and guide your life.

As far as how to study, I would point out that true study requires more effort than simple reading. For example, I read Moby Dick. I started at the beginning and read through. But, when I was writing software, I made a habit of studying the application area where it was used, the tasks the software was to address, and the requirements that were identified for the software. It was much more extensive. Some of it serves me years later.

Today, I cannot really tell anyone much about Moby Dick, but I can remember a considerable amount about most of the systems I developed.

It is the same with God's word. Simple devotional reading is positive, but avoid simply picking out a couple of verses and thinking they exist apart from the rest of Scripture. More in-depth techniques and prayerful reflection produces a much greater understanding.

Consider how the rest of the Bible relates to the scripture being studied. Discuss it with brothers and get supporting and contrasting views. Commentaries can be helpful, particularly until one has a general foundation.

You cannot expect to grow in faith and ignore God's word.
The Bible provides a mirror into ones own heart. Without it one will rely too much on his own views.
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Proverbs 3:5 (KJV)
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes:
but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.
Proverbs 12:15 (KJV)

The Bible is the source of the best personal counsel. Polish that mirror and use it to perfect your faith and guide your life.

We need to listen to God and simply reading or having someone else spoon feed us isn't going to give us a good diet of God's word the bread of life.

As far as how to study, I would point out that true study requires more effort than simple reading. For example, I read Moby Dick. I started at the beginning and read through. But, when I was writing software, I made a habit of studying the application area where it was used, the tasks the software was to address, and the requirements that were identified for the software. It was much more extensive. Some of it serves me years later.

Today, I cannot really tell anyone much about Moby Dick, but I can remember a considerable amount about most of the systems I developed.

It is the same with God's word. Simple devotional reading is positive, but avoid simply picking out a couple of verses and thinking they exist apart from the rest of Scripture. More in-depth techniques and prayerful reflection produces a much greater understanding.

Consider how the rest of the Bible relates to the scripture being studied. Discuss it with brothers and get supporting and contrasting views. Commentaries can be helpful, particularly until one has a general foundation.

I agree. I also would say we should plan our Bible study. Simply flipping through God's word to find passages for study is not an approach that will provide a proper meal. I approach the Bible wanting to learn what God has to say, which means digging in asking questions, searching for the answers and listening to the Holy Spirit and what God says in his word.

Back