What do you want for Christmas?

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
I would think you are all seasoned up by now, and enjoying the festivities.

So what are you all looking forward to this year?

Do you buy your grandchildren and partner anything nice?

Mine have been given Lego. I think it’s really entertainment value and keeps them busy for ages.

I am working all over Christmas but I have splashed out on some new perfume and winter clothes. I have no idea what my family have bought me. I have no partner, I am my own partner and yet I love it when couples get together with their families and celebrate😇

Christmas supper at my wife mom house. Christmas eve church we are doing a candle light service . it just dont seem like Christmas hard to explain. i enjoy Christmas but Christmas is not about feelings . its about Christ being born until his Birth this world was a dark place. yes darkness is trying to creep in but as long as we have Christ the light of the world . darkness can not over take the world or us . i have been given a Christmas message for sunday to show the true meaning of Christmas

Hello Via, brothers and sisters;

I thought about this, well, actually, I'm always thinking about things. But in particular this thread, What do you want for Christmas?

For us, times have definitely changed during our growing years regarding the Christmas festivities. I remember the days of the Annual Work Christmas party, Church Christmas party, singing with the choir at the hospitals, choral singing at the malls and neighborhoods leading up to the highlight of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

This Holiday of the world may not all be about
Christ's Birthday but in our hearts as Christians it is definitely about Jesus. We take advantage of these venues to be a light and salt unto others.

On the 24th we'll attend a combined Christmas Eve Service between 3 Churches. Then our family from my wife's side will all gather at the house for Christmas Eve evening and morning on Christmas Day.

This is a time when my wife's family of 12 put aside the challenges of our faith, the loss of a family member back in January, and life's issues. It will be a moment of love, peace and reassurance to each other as a family, that we are One Foundation under God, in Jesus Name.

Happy Birthday, Jesus.

I don't have any money to buy anything nice until after Boxing Day when sales are on. I've worked in retail over Christmas but I won't be doing that this year.

We just have a feast on the day.

I generally don't want any gifts and try to avoid the christmas ham. lol

I like Christmas crackers though, they're fun, and carolling, but celebrating and constant parties aren't really my thing at the moment. It's because generally people just can't afford to do that.

I may need new swimwear though like a wetsuit or something or maybe just a lifejacket. A day at the beach would be nice, if the water is clean with family/friends.

The supermarket used to give bricks (not lego) to customers but I gave all mine to school for children to play with in the library. I got in trouble for that lol

Lego is very expensive! I go into Toyworld or those dept stores where they sell it and the prices are shocking. There is some amazing sets though. Mum never liked lego because they are very hard on your feet if children leave them on the floor.

I do jigsaw puzzles instead. Generally get them cheaper at an opshop and usually there are no pieces missing lol. 1000 pieces can keep us going for a while.

My wishes and prayers for Christmas this year is to have everyone be in good health, to be with family and friends in happy gatherings, to have all persons worldwide get along with one and other and for Believers everywhere to join in group prayer to Thank God for watching over us.

`

The supermarket used to give bricks (not lego) to customers but I gave all mine to school for children to play with in the library. I got in trouble for that lol Lego is very expensive! I go into Toyworld or those dept stores where they sell it and the prices are shocking. There is some amazing sets though. Mum never liked lego because they are very hard on your feet if children leave them on the floor. I do jigsaw puzzles instead. Generally get them cheaper at an opshop and usually there are no pieces missing lol. 1000 pieces can keep us going for a while.

Hey Lanolin;

Sorry, but do you mean real bricks? Or are you talking about a type of toy brick like legos? I really don't know.

1702755636255.png

Hey Lanolin;

Sorry, but do you mean real bricks? Or are you talking about a type of toy brick like legos? I really don't know.

View attachment 10234
haha no toy plastic bricks that look like lego but are not. Lego has a copyright I think.
I live in a brick house though, so I'm thankful I live in a real one. I've never had a dollhouse I think they are cute, everything in miniature but probably just as expensive as a real one if you had to do it up and furnish it.

I don't have grandchildren or a partner. When I DID have grandparents they never bought me anything but I do remember my grandmother made me soft toys. I don't remember any Christmases with them though.

Mum hates shopping for things the only thing she'll buy me is food - if I ever went shopping with her she'd try to dissuade me from buying anything and would be like 'save your money' lol

Dad only bought groceries, but I think my sister, who was smart, tried to convince him to buy gifts as thats what everyone else did at christmas. She studied commerce and knows all about it lol. She's the only one that ever did it in our family and I remember when we were children she'd try and force us to go christmas shopping with her and we had to pretend we didn't know what dad was buying. I suppose its all a bit of fun but as children we didn't have any money lol

Then the richer children would ask what everyone got for christmas and if you got heaps of things it was like you were more loved. I think the rule was you had to be 'good'. Naughty children apparently got nothing. I didn't like the whole 'ask for what you want' thing. When we went to the mall and there was a Santa there and he asked you what you wanted I had NO idea what to say. He was a stranger! I mean you generally don't tell people what you want but otherwise they have no idea what to give you!

As a child I thought we had to buy presents for everyone, even our parents and our dozens of cousins and aunties and uncles. It soon added up.. I bought gifts for my friends, but I learned that its not something thats necessary cos then they feel bad if they don't have something to give in return.

ha was at church today and there was Free Lego at the door! I didn't take any though. Thought of you Via
I borrowed a book instead.

I suppose in winter you want toys for children to play with indoors, while its summer here and we all want to be outside, for me preferably reading a book in a hammock. I don't have a hammock though cos need two trees the right distance to tie one lol.

It seems each year there is one less at the table for Christmas and the Spirit of Christmas has changed over the year, it is no longer about giving it is more about receiving. I look forward to that day when the celebrations will be around God's table with the voice of Angels in the background, surrounded by all who have gone before us. What peace, what joy that will be. No more pain, no more sorrow.
I believe that The values of Christmas need to be all year round not just once a year, how nice it would be to give of ourselves unselfishly, to love without boundaries, to heal the broken-hearted, to share a smile instead of a sneer, to be a friend to the friendless, to be a gift to someone in need, to be a helping hand when needed. Wouldn't life be different if every gift we give is from the heart of God. This world of ours unfortunately takes more than gives and that is sad, but with love, God's love we can make a difference, not only at Christmas but also throughout the year. True love is not based on how much we give, it should be based on how much we are willing to give, Jesus gave it all, how much are you willing to give?
Tsavah2

Im not big on any kind of celebrating. I got everyone significant a pair of inexpensive pajamas. For myself, I bought a fancy organic dark chocolate bar :) I believe we all have too much stuff.
It seems each year there is one less at the table for Christmas and the Spirit of Christmas has changed over the year, it is no longer about giving it is more about receiving. I look forward to that day when the celebrations will be around God's table with the voice of Angels in the background, surrounded by all who have gone before us. What peace, what joy that will be. No more pain, no more sorrow. I believe that The values of Christmas need to be all year round not just once a year, how nice it would be to give of ourselves unselfishly, to love without boundaries, to heal the broken-hearted, to share a smile instead of a sneer, to be a friend to the friendless, to be a gift to someone in need, to be a helping hand when needed. Wouldn't life be different if every gift we give is from the heart of God. This world of ours unfortunately takes more than gives and that is sad, but with love, God's love we can make a difference, not only at Christmas but also throughout the year. True love is not based on how much we give, it should be based on how much we are willing to give, Jesus gave it all, how much are you willing to give?
Tsavah2

Hello thenami and Tsavah2;

I sort of carry the same sentiment from my post# 3. I feel as long as we are here by God's purpose I'll give my best (inner gratitude to the Lord) to my closest and all those who cross my path.

Saturday started as a new day of hope and didn't expect a "business transaction" to go south, taint my joy, and having to do my part to make it right. How the rest goes is in God's hand.

Speaking for myself, it doesn't do me any good to allow everything to go gloom just because one area got out of whack.

God bless you both and thank you for always sharing your poetic thoughts.
Bob

Because of globalisation I think the very wealthy have gotten richer while the poor have gotten poorer, it's very apparent now after covid and that affects how people celebrate Christmas. We are in for some lean times.

Because its usually a time of families getting together (I don't know if its a repeat of thanksgiving for americans) I'm often asked if I'm 'going away' for christmas or holidays. We never went away! The only thing we did was visit relatives, in the same city.

I think its especially hard for families that have to travel great distances to be together but now through the magic of internet people can get together, see each other or at least hear familiar voices. Writing letters and cards is now more a thing of the past since we have emails and webcams. But at least with a lot of people its a day or maybe a week they can have off school and work and nobody is expect to do much work (except if you working retail and other 'essential' jobs) however if everyone stopped work for the day there will be somebody complaining they don't get paid/any money lol

Some would say the smart thing to do is join a christmas club in February and start saving through the year until December if a big feast is what you want. I guess in hard times you just feel like you've had better times it can't always be the same every year. Some people are stuck in hospital over christmas thats when its good to spread some cheer.

anyway just some thoughts. I get a bit philosphical about it. You can't avoid it at the shops with all the enticing gifts on offer, but you do need money to buy those and budget wisely. If you are a child you don't tend to think about these things, who hasn't spent their pocket money on all the things they want. No child ever spends theirs on bills lol.

May God's riches through Jesus Christ His son bring you peace, joy and love this Christmas and may the Holy Spirit surround you with God's abundant Grace and happiness as you reflect on His Blessings throughout the coming year. Keep safe and rest in Him for He cares. Tsavah2

Greetings:

Need to hear that someone is pregnant; this-family needs more babies, less animals.

bye
?
Are you referring to Mary lol
Mary was pregnant by the Holy Ghost. Not many women can say that, they often blame their partner/spouse for that one.

Woe betide you if you get pregnant before you turn 18.
I'm sure she thought it was good news, rather than have to do it the traditional way...

Back