What does God say about.....

Guidance

God has a plan for us in all matters. If we seek Him first before making our plans, rather than leaning upon our own understanding, He will meet all of our needs and direct our path. (Prov. 3:5-6).

There are three areas in which God’s will can be revealed: His Word, the Spirit’s leading, and peace within one’s circumstances. When all three of these areas are in agreement in a person’s life, it is a good sign of God’s leading and His will in the person’s life.

The Lord Guiding

Psalm 48:14 “For this God is our God forever and ever: He will be our guide even unto death.”

Psalm 40:1-2, “I waited patiently for the Lord and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.”

Who The Lord Shall Guide

Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and He shall direct thy paths."

Psalm 25:8-9, “Good and upright is the Lord: therefore will He teach sinners in the way. The meek will He guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.”

God bless,

Godbe4me

Peace

God is the one who gives peace (Isa. 26:3). Jesus, the Prince of Peace (Isa. 9:6), told his disciples that he would give them peace (John 14:27). When the Holy Spirit controls our lives, He produces peace in us (Gal. 5:22).

Christ gives peace and rest to all who come to him in faith.

Matt. 11:28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Peace is the fruit of the Spirit.

Gal. 5:22-23, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."

The peace of God comes through praying in faith.

Phil. 4:6-7, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God, and The peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Jesus is the Prince of Peace.

Isa. 9:6, "He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Humble trust in the Lord gives peace.

Ps. 4:8, "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, makes me dwell in safety."

God bless,

Godbe4me

Obedience

Clear Conscious

A little boy was seen one day lounging around a circus tent. If there is anything in the world tempting to a boy it is a circus, and, knowing this, a gentleman said:

"Come, Johnny, let's go into the circus."
"No, said the boy, "father would not like it."
"But your father need not know it," said the man.
"But I will know it," said the boy, "and when father comes home tonight, I could not look up into his face."

Ah, how important! Able to look into our Father's face! He has been very good to us. No good thing has He withheld from us, and yet so many times we find ourselves unable to look into His face. God help us to live so close to Himself, so pure and so holy, that all the time we can be able to look into His face.

Jesus Christ Being Obedient:

Philippians 2:5-8, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."

Keeping The Commandments Of The Lord: (Obeying The Lord):

Deuteronomy 8:6, "Therefore thou shalt keep the commandments of the Lord thy God, to walk in his ways, and to fear him."

Deuteronomy 6:17, "Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of the Lord your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee."

Those That Are Obedient To God:

Matthew 5:19, "Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Luke 8:19-21, "Then came to him his mother and his brethren, and could not come at him for the press. And it was told him by certain which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see thee. And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it."

2 John 9, "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Chris, he hath both the Father and the Son."

What To Obey:

Proverbs 6:20-21, "My son, keep thy father's commandment, and forsake no the law of thy mother: Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck."

Ephesians 6:1, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right."

God bless,
Godbe4me

Gossip

When we say things about others we would not say in their presence, we are disobeying God's Word (Lev. 19:16) and destroying that person's reputation. The Bible teaches that the sin of gossip is not merely the spreading of lies, but includes any form of interference in the personal affairs of others (2 Thess. 3:11; 1 Tim. 5:13).

Gossip can cause deep hurt to others and ourselves:

Proverbs 26:20-22, "Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down. As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife. The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts."

Proverbs 13:3, "He who guards his lips guards his life, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin."

Gossip is a choice we can avoid:

Proverbs 17:28, "Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue."

1 Peter 3:10, "For, Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech."

Proverbs 18:21, "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit."

Believers must replace gossip with love and the building up of one another:

Proverbs 17:9, "He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends."

Ephesians 4:29, "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, and it may benefit those who listen."

Proverbs 16:24, "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."

Colossians 4:6, "Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

God bless,

Godbe4me

Obedience

Clear Conscious

A little boy was seen one day lounging around a circus tent. If there is anything in the world tempting to a boy it is a circus, and, knowing this, a gentleman said:

"Come, Johnny, let's go into the circus."
"No, said the boy, "father would not like it."
"But your father need not know it," said the man.
"But I will know it," said the boy, "and when father comes home tonight, I could not look up into his face."

I like that!
He knows all and we know that He does. I want to always be able to look at Him face to face.

Grace

In The Grace Awakening, Charles Swindoll writes:​

I vividly remember my last spanking. It was on my thirteenth birthday, as a matter of fact. Having just broken into the sophisticated ranks of the teen world, I thought I was something on a stick. My father wasn't nearly as impressed as I was with my great importance and new-found independence. I was lying on my bed. He was outside the window on a muggy October afternoon in Houston, weeding the garden. He said, "Charles, come out and help me weed the garden." I said something like: "No...it's my birthday, remember?" My tone was sassy and my deliberate lack of respect was eloquent. I knew better than to disobey my dad, but after all, I was the ripe old age of thirteen. He set a new 100-meter record that autumn afternoon. He was in the house and all over me like white on rice, spanking me all the way out to the garden. As I recall, I weeded until the moonlight was shining on the pansies.

That same night he took me out to a surprise dinner. He gave me what I deserved earlier. Later he gave me what I did not derserve. The birthday dinner was grace.

The Grace of God

John 1:17, "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

1 Cor. 1:4, "I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ."

2 Cor. 12:8-9, "For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

Titus 2:11-12, "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;"

The Lord is Gracious:

Psalm 116:5, "Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful."

Psalm 103:8, "The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy."

Isaiah 30:18, "And therefore will the Lord wait, that He may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the Lord is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for him."

Who The Lord Gives Grace To:

Proverbs 3:33-34, "The curse of the Lord is in the house of the wicked: but he blesseth the habitation of the just. Surely he scorneth the scorners: but he giveth grace unto the lowly."

1 Peter 5:5, "Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble."

God bless,

Godbe4me

GRACE

Grace is God's unmerited favor working on our behalf in ways we cannot achieve on our own. The grace of God can effects every part of our life but usually its only been taught concerning salvation. God’s grace can impact our growth and help in our weaknesses.

GRACE

Grace is God's unmerited favor working on our behalf in ways we cannot achieve on our own. The grace of God can effects every part of our life but usually its only been taught concerning salvation. God’s grace can impact our growth and help in our weaknesses.

Exactly!!!! God's "Grace" is more than just salvation. Grace is what wakes us up in the morning. Grace is the help that God gives us everyday and for every facet of our lives.

Waiting on the Lord

God's Four Answers

In talking with people who are concerned because God doesn't seem to be answering their prayers, Pastor Bill Hybels uses a little outline he borrowed from a pastor friend of his:

1. If the request is wrong, God says: No

2. If the timing is wrong, God says: Wait

3. If you are wrong, God says: Grow

4. But if the request is right, the timing is right, and you are right, God says: Go!

Reward For Waiting On The Lord:

Psalm 27:14, "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord."

Psalm 40:1, "I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry."

Proverbs 20:22, "Say not thou, I will recompnse evil; but wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee."

Those That Wait On The Lord:

Isaiah 64:4, "For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for Him."

Isaiah 40:30-31, "Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: Byut they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Isaiah 30:18, "And therefore will the Lord wait, that he may be gracious unto you, and therefore will he be exalted, that he may have mercy upon you: for the Lord is a God of judgment: blessed are all they that wait for Him."

Waiting On The Lord:

Psalm 25:5, "Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day."

Psalm 33:20, "Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield."

Psalm 59:9, "Because of his strength will I wait upon thee: for God is my defense."

Lamentations 3:26, "It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD."

Micah 7:7, "Therefore I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me."

Hosea 12:6, "Therefore turn thou to thy God: keep mercy and judgment, and wait on thy God continually."

God bless,

Godbe4me

Giving

Tithing from Bread and Dirty Soup

In the book Tortured for Christ, Richard Wurmbrand tells of his many years in and out of miserable Communist prisons because of his faith in Christ. He was often tortured, and on some occasions nearly starved to death. But the principle of tithing was so internalized in his heart that when he was given one slice of bread a week and dirty soup every day, he faithfully tithed from it. Every tenth day he gave his soup to a weaker brother, and every tenth week he took his slice of bread and gave it to one of his fellow prisioners in Jesus' name.​

The Lord wants us to give generously and cheerfully:

2 Cor. 8:11-12, "Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. For it the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have."

2 Cor. 9:6-7, "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

Seek first the Kingdom of God:

Matt. 6:33, "Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

God requires us to be merciful and give to the poor:

Prov. 14:21, "He who despises his neighbors sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy."

Prov. 19:17, "He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done."

Gal. 6:9-10, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."

A generous giver will be blessed, but one who fails to give will suffer for it:

Proverbs 11:24-25, "One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."

Put first things first. Don't put off giving until you have what you want:

Hag. 1:2-4, "This is what the LORD Almighty says: "These people say, 'The time has not yet come for the LORD's house to be built.'" Then the word of the LORD came through the prophet Haggai: "Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains in ruin?"

God bless,

Godbe4me

Called

"I AM CALLED"

As her husband Jim made plans to reach the Auca Indians of South America, Elisabeth Elliot struggled with her willingness to let him go. Finally she confronted him, asking him the question that burned within her: "Jim, are you sure you are supposed to go?"

His simple reply: "I AM CALLED."
"So, it was all right," Elisabeth later wrote. "Scriptural principles, God-directed circumstances, and Jim's own inward assurance were consonant. I could share in it, then; I could happily help him plan."

Many Being Called:

Matthew 20:16, "So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few are chosen."

The Lord Calling:

1 Cor. 1:9, "God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord."

Galatians 1:15-16, "But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood."

1 Thess. 4:7, "For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness."

Those That Are Called By God:

1 Cor. 1:23-24, "But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God."

Revelation 19:9, "And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God."

1 Cor.7:22-24, "For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant. Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God."

God bless,

Godbe4me

Contentment

The Fisherman

Once a rich industrialist, disturbed to find a fisherman sitting idly by his boat, asked, "Why aren't you out there fishing?"
"Because I've caught enough fish for today," was the reply.
"Why don't you catch more fish than you need?" asked the rich man.
"What would I do with them?"
"You could earn more money and buy a better boat so you could go deeper and catch more fish. You could purchase nylon nets, catch even more fish, and make more money. Soon you'd have a fleet of boats and be rich like me."
"Then what would I do?" ask the fisherman.
"You could sit down and enjoy life."
"What do you think I'm doing now?" the fisherman replied.

Being Content With What You Have:

Luke 3:14, "And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages."

1 Timothy 6:7-8, "For we brouhg nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be there with content."

Hebrews 13:5, "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave therr, nor forsake thee."

Godliness With Contentment:

1 Timothy 6:6, "But godliness with contentment is great gain."

God bless,
Godbe4me

The Full Counsel of God

The Child of God can have an overcoming, victorious life because of the shed blood of Jesus and because of what he can become in Christ (Rev. 12:10-11).

The Bible says that as one thinks in his heart, so has one become (Luke 6:45). The child of God will think in a godly way as he receives the full counsel of God. As he/she grows in spiritual knowledge and experience, they will gain spiritual maturity and the abundant life that God promised.

Hearing Counsel:

Proverbs 19:20, "Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end."

Those that Listen To Counsel:

Proverbs 12:15, "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: bu the that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise."

Whose Counsel Should Not Be Heeded:

Proverbs 14:7, "Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge."

The Lord Giving Counsel:

Psalm 16:7, "I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons."

The Place Where There Is No Counsel:

Proverbs 11:14, "Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellers there is safety."

Proverbs 15:22, "Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but int he multitudes of counsellers they are established."

God bless

Godbe4me

HEALING

Both the Old and New Testaments speak of a God who is concerned for his children's welfare and who desires their health and wholeness. Christ came that we might have abundant life (John 10:10), and his earthly ministry included much healing. He indicated that the healings were a sign that the Kingdom of God was being instituted.

Diseases and infirmities are universal afflictions. Their presence is often unexplainable, though the Scriptures mention instances where illness is a punishment for sin (Deut. 28:61; Mic. 6:13; 1 Cor. 11:30). Often, as with Job, illness has no connection with sin. Whatever the cause, we know that God in his mercy desires our wholeness and desires that we act and pray to bring that wholeness about. We also know that marvelous works of healing still occur, in spite of the skepticism of many who reject the possibility of miracles.

The Lord Healing

Psalm 30:2, "O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me."

Jeremiah 17:14, "Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise."

Luke 4:40-41, "Now when the sun was setting, all they that had any sick with divers diseases brought them unto him; and he laid his hands on every one of them, and healed them. And devils also came out of many, crying out, and saying, Thou art Christ the Son of God. And He rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that he was Christ."

Who the Lord Heals

2 Chronicles 7:12-14, "And the Lord appeared to Solomon by night, and said unto him, I have heard thy prayer, and have chosen this place to myself for an house of sacrifice. If I shut up heaven that there be no rain, or if I command the locusts to devour the land, or if I send pestilence among my people; If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

Psalm 107:17-20, "Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted. Their soul abhorreth all manner of meat; and they draw near unto the gates of death. Then they cry unto the Lord in their trouble, and he saveth them out of their distresses. He sent his word, and healed them and delivered them from their destruction."

James 5:14-16, "Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

What improves Health

Proverbs 14:30, "A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones."

Proverbs 18:14, "A man's spirit sustains him in sickness, but a crushed spirit who can bear?"

Proverbs 17:22, "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."

We do not walk through health problems alone:

Philippians 4:19, "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

2 Cor. 4:16, "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."

God provides strength:

2 Sam. 22:33, "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

Psalm 73:26, "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Psalm 91:4, "He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."

Isaiah 40:30-31, "Even youths grow tired and weary, and yound men stumble and fall; but those who hope int he LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

God bless,

Godbe4me

Salvation

The Bible teaches that one must be born again in order to see the Kingdom of God, receive eternal life, find forgiveness of sins, and experience the indwelling of the Holy spirit. Through faith one can become a child of God and a joint-heir with Christ. Salvation is to be received by faith in the death and resurrection of Christ for the atonement of sin. Repentance includes turning from sin and a self-centered life, and accepting the lorship of Jesus Christ. Salvation is totally a gift of God's grace. He chose us, called us, declared us "not guilty," filled us with Christ's goodness, and promised us his glory (Rom. 8:29, 30; Eph. 2:8-9).

1. We are all sinners.

a. We are all born in sin

Ps. 51:5, "Surely I have been a sinner from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me."

b. We all, like sheep, have gone astray

Isa. 53:6, "We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all."

c. All have sinned through Adam

Rom. 5:12, "Just as sin has entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned."

d. Jews and Gentiles alike are sinners.

Rom. 3:9-12, "What shall we conclude then? Are we any better? Not at all! We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin. As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.

e. Even our righteous acts are as filthy rags.

Isa. 64:6, "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away."

f. Apart from God's grace, our hearts are deceitful, beyond cure.

Jer. 17:9, "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?"

2. We are in Spiritual Bondage.

a. By nature all are in sin's bondage. Christ sets us free

John 8:34-36, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So it the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

3. We are alienated from God

a. Outside of Christ we are at odds with God

Col. 1:21-22, "Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation."

b. Without Christ we are without hope

Eph. 2:12-13, "Remember that at that time (before salvation in Christ) you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God int he world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ."

4. Jesus saves us by grace, through faith

a. All who receive Christ by faith are saved

John 1:12, "To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."

b. Jesus died for his sheep

John 10:11, 14-15, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep....I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me---just as the father knows me and I know the Father---and I lay down my life for the sheep."

c. We are redeemed through the blood of Christ

1 Peter 1:18-19, "You know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb wthout blemish or defect."

d. Jesus is the only mediator

1 Tim. 2:5-6, "There is oneGod and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men---the testimony given in its proper time."

5. The Lord calls sinners like you and me

a. Jesus calls those who are weary and burdened.

Matt. 11:28-30, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdend, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

b. He calls us to repent and believe the gospel

Mark 1: 14-15, "After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God. "The time has come," he said. "The kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"

c. Seek the Lord while he may be found

Isa. 55:6-7, "Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LROD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon."

d. The Lord will never turn a sinner away

John 6:37, "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away."

Rom. 10:13, "Everyone who calls ont he name of the Lord will be saved."

God bless,

Godbe4me

The Nature of Sin

Raccoons

Gary Richmond, a former zoo keeper, explains that raccoons go through a glandular change at about twenty-four months old. After that, they often attack their owners

Richmond had a friend named Julie who owned a pet raccoon. Since a thirty-pound raccoon can equal a one-hundred pound dog in a fight, he felt compelled to warn her of the coming change.

"It'll be different for me," she replied with a smile. "Bandit wouldn't hurt me. He just wouldn't."

Three months later Julie underwent plastic surgery for facial lacerations sustained when her adult raccoon attacked her for no apparent reason. Bandit was released into the wild.

Sin, too, often comes dressed in an adorable guise, and as we play with it, it's easy to say, "It will be different for me." The results are predictable.

The wages of sin:

Romans 6:23, "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

There Not Being a single Person who does not sin:

Ecclesiastes 7:20, "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."

Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

Romans 5:12, "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; ans so death passeth upon all men, for that all have sinned."

Those that cover Sin:

Proverbs 28:13, "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy."

What Sin does:

Isaiah 59:1-2, "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear."

Not Sinning:

John 5:14, "Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee."

John 8:10-11, "When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

Ephesians 4:26, "Be ye angrym and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath."

1 Timothy 5:22, "Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure."

1 John 2:1, "My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

God bless,

Godbe4me

God's Will

Direction

When Andy Griffith, star of the classic television program that bore his name, entered his fifties, he found it increasingly difficult to find work in Hollywood, and his personal finances became tighter and tighter. He wrote in Guideposts that finally he and his wife Cindi decided things would be easier if they moved from Los Angeles back to Andy's home state of North Carolina; so they put their home up for sale and waited for a buyer. Unfortunately the real estate market was down, and no one gave them a decent offer for their home. Months passed, and Andy grew depressed.

Then one day the Lord gave Cindi an insight. "Maybe it's a good thing we couldn't sell the house," she said. "Maybe it was God showing us grace. If we moved to North Carolina now, you might indeed never word again. What we need to do is stay here and stoke the fire."

And stoke the fire they did. Day after day they went together to the office of the talent agency that represented Andy. They sat in the lobby, chatted with agents, and went with them to lunch. Eventually the work started to come in: four TV movies that year, including the pilot for Matlock, a show that ended up running for nine years.

Sometimes a closed door is a signpost from God. He has a better way for us to go.

Determining God's Will in a Situation:

1. Never make a decision contrary to the Word of God:

Isaiah 55:8, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD."

Proverbs 4:25-27, "Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep you foot from evil."

James 3:17, "But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere."

2. Determining God's will involves prayer for self and prayer of others for you.

Colossians 1:9-11, "For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully....

James 1:5, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

3. Determining God's will involves the advice of those who are wise:

Proverbs 11:14, "For lack of guidance a nation falls, but many advisers make victory sure."

Proverbs 15:22, "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed."

4. Determining God's will involves avoiding sin:

Ephesians 5:15-17, "Be very careful, then, how you live----not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is."

5. Determining God's will involves thankfulness as God leads:

Psalm 20:4-5, "May he give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the Lord grant all your requests."

Determining God's will involves proceeding with a yielded heart:

Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Jeremiah 6:16, "This is what the Lord says: Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls."

6. Remember, God is sovereign and has a plan we can have confidence in.

Isaiah 25:1, "O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you and praise your name, for in perfect faithfulness you have done marvelous things, things planned long ago."

Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Psalm 138:8, "The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever - do not abandon the works of your hands."

Jeremiah 10:23-24, "I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps. Correct me, LORD, but only with justice - not in your anger, lest you reduce me to nothing."

7. The past is full of examples of God's plan being carried through:

Isaiah 14:24, 27, "The LORD Almighty has sworn, "Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will stand"....For the LORD Almighty has purposed, and who can thwart Him? His hand is stretched out, and who can turn it back?"

Isaiah 43:13, "Yes, and from ancient days I am he. No one can deliver out of my hand. When I act, who can reverse it?"

God bless,

Godbe4me

Self Centeredness

Brokenness

In his book Broken in the Right Place, Alan Nelson writes:

My boys are at the age when they like gliders, the cheap, balsa wood airplanes. The thin, light wood is prestamped so that you punch out the airplane and attach the wings to the fuselage. The balsa wood is supposed to break off at the grooves. Sometimes it does not. Occasionally you splinter or break off part of the airplane by accident. When this happens, the planes don't fly as well as they are designed to. Life is delicate, like the balsa plane. When we break in the right areas we will fly higher and smoother than when we break in the wrong places....

When we are broken in the wrong places, we become self-centered. Our broken emotions keep us from loving effectively. We shun future settings where further hurt could take place, like significant relationships, churches, and goal-setting. Or we react defensively to the hurt by overachieving and living a life of abandon...When we are broken in the wrong places, we do not see the fruit of the Spirit.

Look around you. The older you get, the more you see people who have lost the twinkle in their eyes. They have endured tough circumstances, but not successfully....Being broken in the heart, in the soul, where God can do something with your will and character, is a matter of converting, sanctifying the actual pain, and making it a part of the healing salve. You cannot do it on your own. God must....But you must be willing.

1. Love is not self-seeking:

1 Cor. 13:5, "Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered."

2. Selfish ambition brings its bitter fruit:

James 3:14-16, "If you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such "wisdom" does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice."

3. Jesus condemned James and John for their self-seeking attitude, and he calls us all to humble service:

Matthew 20:26-28, "Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave---just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

4. Jesus calls us to self-denial:

Luke 9:23-25, "Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?"

5. Don't be self-centered, but htink of others:

1 Cor. 10:24, "Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others."

6. Follow Jesus' example by thinking of how to please others:

Rom. 15:2-3, "Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For even Christ did not please himself."

7. Do not just hink of yourself. Be like Jesus, think also of others:

Phil. 2:3-5, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus."

God bless,

Godbe4me

Hearing God

In his book "When You're All Out of Noodles," Ken Jones writes about a lesson he learned one day at the office.

When I walked into myoffice, I noticed something I had never seen before. It was round, about the size of a dessert plate, and plugged into the wall, giving out a constant noise. It wasn't a loud noise, just constant. What in the world is that thing? I thought as I stopped to stare.

I finally asked the receptionist about it. She said, "It's an ambient noise generator. If it's too quiet in here, we can distinquish the voices in the counseling offices, and we want to protect their privacy. So we bought the noise generator to cover the voices."

Her explanation made perfect sense to me, but didn't it have to be louder to mask the conversations, I asked. "No, she said. "The constancy of the sound tricks the ear so that what is being said can't be distinquished."

Interesting, I thought. Very interesting. One kind of noise to cover the sound of another. It made me think and pray.

No wonder, Lord..No wonder I strain to hear what you have to say to me...The constancy of sound---little noises, doft, inward, ambient thoughts and fears and attitudes---tricks the ears of my inner man and mask your still, small voice.

God isn't silent. We just have trouble hearing Him.

The Ear:

Job 34:2-3, "Hear my words, O ye wise men; and give ear unto me, ye that have knowledge. For the ear trieth words, as the mouth tasteth meat."

The Ear Of The Wise:

Proverbs 18:15, "The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge."

The Hearing Ear:

Proverbs 18:31, "The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise."

Proverbs 20:12, "The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made even both of them."

The Lord Hearing:

Genesis 21:17, "And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is."

Psalm 3:4, "I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah."

Psalm 34:4, "I sought the Lord, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears."

Psalm 116:1, "I love the Lord, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications."

The Lord Opening Ears:

Psalm 40:5-6, "Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered. Sacrifice and offering thou didst not desire; mine ears hast thou opened: burnt offering and sin offering hast thou not required."

Isaiah 50:4-5, "The Lord hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned. The Lord God hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious, neither turned away back."

Those That Hear Instruction:

Proverbs 8:32-34, "Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors."

Those That Hear Reproof:

Proverbs 15:31-32, "The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise. He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding."

Those That Hear The Lord:

Matthew 13:23, "But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty some thrity."

Luke 8:15, "But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience."

What Comes By Hearing:

Romans 10:17, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

What God Will Not Hear:

Job 35:13, "Surely God will not hear vanity, neither will the Almighty regard it."

What The Ear Has Not Heard:

Isaiah 64:4, "For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for Him."

What To Hear:

Proverbs 5:1, "My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding."

Proverbs 19:20, "Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end."

Proverbs 23:12, "Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words of knowledge."

Hebrews 2:1, "Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip."

Who Does Not Hear God:

John 8:47, " He that is of God heareth God's words; ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God."

God bless,

Godbe4me

Persecution

The Bloodiest Century

On September 28, 1997, M. Craig Barnes, pastor of the National Presbyterian Church, Washington, DC., preached a powerful sermon on the Percecuted Church.

He began with this vivid picture:

One evening the soldiers talked about a girl they had raped many times in the course of the afternoon. Through it all, the girl sang hymns, strange evangelical songs, and she kept on singing, even after they shot her in the chest. She lay on the ground with the blood flowing from her chest, but she kept on singing--a bit weaker than before, but still singing. Then the soldiers grew tired of this and shot her again, but still she sang. And then the soldiers became afraid. Terrified of the girl, they fell upon her with machetes, and at last the singing stopped.

For the last two thousand years, someone has always been trying to stop the singing of Christ's followers. The report I just read sounds a lot like the accounts of early church persecution I studied in history books. But this report does not come from a history book. It comes from the New Yorker Magazine (Dec. 6, 1993), and it describes contemporary events.

More followers of Jesus Christ have died during (the twentieth) century than in any other time in history. About 150,000 each year are martyred. Abut two million are actively persecuted. And millions more are living with their religious freedoms severely restricted.

Why do people persecute Christians, even when they are doing good?

John 15:18-21, "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: "No servant is greater than his master." If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the One who sent me."

2 Tim. 3:10-14, "You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings---what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. In fact, eveyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it."

1 John 3:1, "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him."

Do good to and pray for those who persecute you. Love your enemies:

Matt. 5:38-42, "You have heard that it was said, "Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth." But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the ones who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

Imitate Stephen, who prayed for his persecutors as they were stoning him:

Acts 7:60, "Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep."

In dealing with your persecutors be wise and innocent:

Matt. 10:16, "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves."

If you are falsely accused, trust God to lead you:

Matt. 10:17-20, "Be on your guard against men; they will hand you over to the local councils and flog you in their synagogues. On my account you will be brought before governors and kings as witnesses to them and to the Gentiles. But when they arrest you, do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you."

One need not get depressed due to severe persecution. Paul testifies to that:

2 Cor. 4:8-9, "We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."

Do not be ashamed of the gospel. Testify boldly and be ready to suffer persecution:

2 Tim. 2:3, "Endure harship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

2 Tim. 2:8-10, "Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God's word is not chained. Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory."

Paul and Silas sang hymns while they were imprisoned:

Acts 16:25, "About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them."

How should you react when you are persecuted? See how Paul handled it:

1 Cor. 4:11-13, "To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world.

God bless,

Godbe4me

Back