What does it look like to call on the name of the Lord ?

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
Romans 10:13

If We call on the name of the Lord it apparently saves us.
I admit I am not entirely sure I really understand this. I do it a lot without thinking but intellectually I don’t think I understand it.

IAM is Gods Great and Powerful Almighty Name. I get that.

Can someone give some examples and clear this up a little. I’m thinking something like…

When I’m angry, I say I am calm.( to calm down)
But that wouldn’t work with all states.
There’s no way I can say I’m hot when I’m cold I’d be deluding myself surely.

Help me understand my forum friends.

Blessings.

If We call on the name of the Lord it apparently saves us. I admit I am not entirely sure I really understand this. I do it a lot without thinking but intellectually I don’t think I understand it.
Blessings.

Hello Via;

I'm going to dig a little deeper and add context to your question.

Romans 10:9-13, 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”

12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for
the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him.

13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” - ESV

It must start with our heart, Via. When we confess and believe from our mouth who Jesus is, and what he did, at first we may struggle with understanding. As God works slowly but surely in each of us, the more He helps us understand ourself.

The more we understand the more we learn we don't have to be ashamed of Jesus. In other words, don't be shy or reluctant for the world to know you are a Christian, (follower of Jesus Christ.)

The first step in understanding gains knowledge and wisdom; Proverbs 1:7, 7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction. The Lord will continue to grow your understanding of Him and His Word.

Being obedient to God is to believe in His only Begotten Son. We honor the Father, for He so loved the world, giving His One and Only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Believing in Jesus is calling out the name of the Lord. Being saved is God's promise.

You said, "When I’m angry, I say I am calm.( to calm down) But that wouldn’t work with all states. There’s no way I can say I’m hot when I’m cold I’d be deluding myself surely."

Don't mix the world's approach and God's results in "all states." Does this make sense? As a Christian it's best to use God's results in all states (circumstances.)

I pray this helps a little, Via.

God bless you, sister, and your whole family.

Bob has some good advice there. I would add that calling on God is for help in enduring or getting through the course. Going through things is what we all will experience in this life. We sometimes wish for the easy road in life. The easy walk down a gentle slope is nice, but you will at some point have to climb back up. Without those climbs up hills or mountains, you will never experience the grand view from the top of the crest. We wouldn't know joy without knowing despair. In all states, we can ask(call on) God for help getting through the difficulties. Growth happens when we go through the difficult stuff.
I recently saw a short video of the Pittsburgh Steelers' head coach Mike Tomlin describing to a college basketball team the concept of leaning into the uncomfortable to realize real growth. He is using it for sports purposes, but one can imagine how this ties in with this idea of suffering with Christ. Here is a link to the short video on twitter:

<Commit to being uncomfortable>

In John 11, there is the story of Martha, Mary and Lazarus. Lazarus is sick and dying, so they send for Jesus. Jesus doesn't go to them right away. Martha and Mary called on Him and believed Jesus could save Lazarus. But they still experienced the anguish of him dying and having to bury him in a tomb. But Jesus showed up 4 days after for a purpose of glorifying God and to convince many to believe in Him as their Savior.
This shows that we must go through things in life we would rather not. But there is a purpose for these things and we don't find out why until later.

If We call on the name of the Lord it apparently saves us.
I admit I am not entirely sure I really understand this. I do it a lot without thinking but intellectually I don’t think I understand it.

IAM is Gods Great and Powerful Almighty Name. I get that.

Can someone give some examples and clear this up a little. I’m thinking something like…

When I’m angry, I say I am calm.( to calm down)
But that wouldn’t work with all states.
There’s no way I can say I’m hot when I’m cold I’d be deluding myself surely.

Blessings.
Dearest Via <3

HIIIIIIII! :D So, saying "Jesus" is calling on the name of the Lord, or by identifying HIm by the name.
But, it's much more than just that. It's reading the Word, worshiping Him, and spending time with Him. I journal to Him a lot and he responds, and then I worship Him, which confirms the journal entries, and then I read the Bible.

Also, identifying His attributes. "God, You are good." or "God, you are faithful when I am faithless."

He's got you in His arms, Via <3

Back