What does it mean 'locusts and wild honey'?

As gross as that sounds if one was hungry enough that one would eat almost anything.

His food was just that, Locusts and Honey.

Locusts are the only insect that was declared clean to be eaten by the Law.

Leviticus 11
20 ‘All flying insects that creep on all fours shall be an abomination to you. 21 Yet these you may eat of every flying insect that creeps on all fours: those which have jointed legs above their feet with which to leap on the earth. 22 These you may eat: the locust after its kind, the destroying locust after its kind, the cricket after its kind, and the grasshopper after its kind. 23 But all other flying insects which have four feet shall be an abomination to you.

So the simple answer could be that the verse is simply stating a simple fact. John the Baptist ate locusts and honey. :)

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

It's just 8:59 AM and already I have learned something today.

Thanks,

Larry II (I love Bible trivia)

Here are a few local recipes from locust-affected countries.

Tinjiya (Tswana recipe): remove the wings and hindlegs of the locusts, and boil in a little water until soft. Add salt, if desired, and a little fat and fry until brown. Serve with cooked, dried mealies (corn).

Sikonyane (Swazi recipe): prepare embers and roast the whole locust on the embers. Remove head, wings, and legs, in other words, only the breast part is eaten. The South Sotho people use locusts especially as food for travellers. The heads and last joint of the hindlegs are broken off and the rest laid on the coals to roast. The roasted locusts are ground on a grinding stone to a fine powder. This powder can be kept for long periods of time and is taken along on a journey. Dried locusts are also prepared for the winter months. The legs, when dried, are especially relished for their pleasant taste.

Cambodia: take several dozen locust adults, preferably females, slit the abdomen lengthwise and stuff a peanut inside. Then lightly grill the locusts in a wok or hot frying pan, adding a little oil and salt to taste. Be careful not to overcook or burn them.

Barbecue (grilled): prepare the embers or charcoal. Place about one dozen locusts on a skewer, stabbing each through the centre of the abdomen. If you only want to eat the abdomen, then you may want to take off the legs or wings either before or after cooking. Several skewers of locusts may be required for each person. Place the skewers above the hot embers and grill while turning continuously to avoid burning the locusts until they become golden brown.

That's Ok Deni .... You can make the recipes.... I'll pass thanks :D:D

I just got finished making some peanut Butter cookies .... He he

Just spent a couple days in the hospital. I caught myself murmering and complaining about the food. I know that God is not very big on murmering and complaining. I don't know what has happened to the food service there because it was exceptional just a few years ago.

Anyway it caused me to reflect on reality. I was remembering the diary of one man who lived through the prison camp of Dora in Germany. I was remembering the diet that they survived on and it was worthy of complaint. And so I ate my small cold hamburger, my cold fish portion and my stale, cold, tough french fries and my undercooked home fries with a newfound appreciation. In reality they will keep you alive just as well as properly prepared food would. I guess I need to be grateful for the food that the Lord provided.

So with this in mind here are some locust recipies for you to consider...

Parcht Locusts

This dish was discovered by William Dampier in 1687, while visiting the Bashee Islands (located between the Philippines and Taiwan). He described it in A New Voyage Round the World:
They had another Dish made of a sort of Locusts, whose Bodies were about an Inch and an half long, and as thick as the top of one's little Finger; with large thin Wings, and long and small Legs. ... The Natives would go out with small Nets, and take a Quart at one sweep. When they had enough, they would carry them home, and parch them over the Fire in an earthen Pan; and then their Wings and Legs would fall off, and their Heads and Backs would turn red like boil'd Shrimps, being before brownish. Their Bodies being full, would eat very moist, their Heads would crackle in one's Teeth. I did once eat of this Dish, and liked it well enough....
That part about the crispy heads sounds particularly appetizing, doesn't it?

Locust Stew

Here's another locust recipe, this one developed by American pioneers. It's quoted from Calvin W. Schwabe's Unmentionable Cuisine (University Press of Virginia, 1979).
Locusts and grasshoppers are prepared for cooking by removing the wings, the small legs, and the distal portion of the hind legs. Then pull off the head, withdrawing any attached viscera.
Boil prepared Rocky Mountain locusts in salted water. Add assorted cut-up vegetables, butter, salt, and vinegar to the broth and cook until the vegetables are tender. Serve as a thick soup or over boiled rice as a main dish.

Thank you for your provision for us Lord.

Larry II

Thanks Larry II but you know what ... Give me a cold hamburger.:D:D

And yes the food has deteriorated in hospitals , here as well.
One wonders why they have dieticians . What do they do ?

My brother knew a P.O.W., he said when he was fed, he would pick the maggots out of his rice. Then he said, he began to leave them in for the protein. I wasn't there, but when you're starving, anything edible becomes nourishment.

I know what they do...they eat all the good food for themselves and then they give all the sick people the bad left-overs.

Thanks Larry II but you know what ... Give me a cold hamburger.:D:D

And yes the food has deteriorated in hospitals , here as well.
One wonders why they have dieticians . What do they do ?

Back