What does the bible say about depression?

What does the bible say about depression?

Hey, I'm new here. I've been going through a tough time pretty much my whole life...For over 5 years now I've been sruggling with Chronic Clinical Depression...What does the bible say about it?

I need some answers. It's so hard.

Cast your buden on the Lord

Jesus said "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest". (Matthew 11:28)

imaginese119, we are all same and depression is something, everyone faces during some phase of their lives. Without some sort pain, our need for God's help would not be clear. In fact you are more privileged than others here for this reason.

Healing for any sickness is a right Jesus has given us. Through faith and prayer, you can overcome any sickness, whether depression or phisical handicap. A good way of relieving your pain is talking to other christians in your area and fellowship where you can meet christian friends and pray together ("Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16).

Btw, welcome to Christian Forum Site. Pm me when you need help. :evo:

Hello imaginese119!
My heart breaks for you. I also had a bout of clinical depression, so I know somewhat of your condition. You are turning to the right place for the answer, so be encouraged!
Here's a passage that really spoke to me, when I felt like I was in a pit I couldn't climb out of.
Psalm 40 (NIV)
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

Actually, there are a lot of Psalms that will help lift your spirits.

And here's a song that was sung by Jeff & Sheri Easter. Praising God is the key to releasing healing and blessing in our lives. If we focus on Jesus and what He did for us, and get the focus off ourselves, we get a proper perspective of life.

PRAISE HIS NAME

WHEN YOU'RE UP AGAINST A WALL
AND YOUR MOUNTAIN SEEMS SO TALL
AND YOU REALIZE LIFE'S NOT ALWAYS FAIR
YOU CAN RUN AWAY AND HIDE
LET THE OLD MAN DECIDE
OR YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES
WITH A PRAYER

WHEN EVERYTHING FALLS APART
PRAISE HIS NAME
WHEN YOU HAVE A BROKEN HEART
RAISE YOUR HANDS AND SAY
LORD, YOU'RE ALL I NEED
YOU'RE EVERYTHING TO ME
AND HE'LL TAKE THE PAIN AWAY
WHEN IT SEEMS YOU'RE ALL ALONE
PRAISE HIS NAME
WHEN IT FEELS YOU CAN'T GO ON
RAISE YOUR HANDS AND SAY
GREATER IS HE THAT IS WITHIN ME
AND YOU CAN PRAISE THE HURT AWAY
IF YOU'LL JUST PRAISE HIS NAME

YOU CAN OVERCOME
BY THE BLOOD OF THE LAMB
BY THE WORD OF YOUR TESTIMONY
YOU'LL SEE THE DARKNESS GO
AS YOUR FAITH BEGINS TO GROW
YOU'RE NOT ALONE SO HOW CAN YOU BE LONELY

WHEN EVERYTHING FALLS APART
PRAISE HIS NAME
WHEN YOU HAVE A BROKEN HEART
RAISE YOUR HANDS AND SAY
LORD, YOU'RE ALL I NEED
YOU'RE EVERYTHING TO ME
AND HE'LL TAKE THE PAIN AWAY
WHEN IT SEEMS YOU'RE ALL ALONE
PRAISE HIS NAME
WHEN IT FEELS YOU CAN'T GO ON
RAISE YOUR HANDS AND SAY
IF YOU'LL JUST PRAISE HIS NAME

And one last thought I saw on a poster:

Don't tell God how big your troubles are-
Tell your troubles how big your God is!

And I'll pray for you, imaginese119!

Isaiah 61:3
To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

Depression is actually spiritual. Those who have a blood covenant with Jesus Christ, who have accepted him as savior, are lead by the Holy Spirit and deal with the "spirit of heaviness" through the power of God. That is the only way to overcome it.

M Paul

Dear brother, I too suffer from great depression, I despise the world and everything in it, my life as a child was literally hell! If i did not have my younger brother i am sure i would be dead now, but when i look at the world through the eyes of the LORD, look at all he has created and all that he has made, look at anything the detail is precise and amazing, i cannot create a mere cell or atom, where the LORD has created all things and can do ANYTHING! just thinking about it is amazing. I am still at school and everyday i wake up atleast an hour before i have to leave, and lie there thinking, why why why im i going to school, i cannot stand it, school gives me great sadness, i would do anything just not school, im not a smart boy im a muscle man and i have missed out on atleast a year of school so it is so hard to do my work. One day while lying in bed i suddenly had an urge to read and the first thing i saw was the bible.

I began to read aout jesus and i read nearly the entire book of matthew, afterwards i felt so good i actually wanted to go to school, just reading of the many things jesus did made me appreciate life and school in particular so much more. After this I began to read the bible every morning especially when i was feeling down, i read anything in there mostly the psalms, but when i read the bible i pray and i feel so much better and slowly i do not read the bible as much in the mornings mostly at night. I do not know whether this will help you, but it does me and i hope so for you aswell. I believe we just need that little reminder to help us do what needs to be done. Do you go to a youth group brother? if not i reccomend you go to one, everytime i leave them i feel like i can do anything and am filled with intoxicating joy.

To sum this up if you do not wish to read all of this, just find something to remind you of the LORD that you can do every morning or when you need it to help you through the day. If you do not know the LORD very well then i employ you to come to know him better all it takes is putting in 5 minutes everyday ( so little) and gradually you will see him and praise him more.
If you have not read the book of Job in the bible i reccomend you do.

I hope this has helped you atleast a tiny bit. My heart goes out to you brother, May the light of the LORD shine on your life, always.
arrivederci elmino! :laughingsmiley:

Thank you to everyone who replyed..you've all helped me alot....I do look to God for support...and it is easier, but I need to get to know him more.

It's hard, but God has helped me this far and I know I can go the rest of the way...with his help of course.

Im glad to hear it brother, I am sure your life will turn out for the better and your mind will be healed to its former state. remember the LORD is with you always, you can talk to him anytime, anywhere and about anything.
I will also look for some scriptures when I return home (1 week) that might help or enlighten your knowledge.

Be blessed my Brother ,you will be in my prayers always.
arrivederci elmino!

Hey, I'm new here. I've been going through a tough time pretty much my whole life...For over 5 years now I've been sruggling with Chronic Clinical Depression...What does the bible say about it?

I need some answers. It's so hard.

Imaginese,

Read Psalm 40, and avoid "Pentecostal" style advice.

JoWilli.

Back