What Does The Bible Say About Helping One Another?

What are some verses that talk about us helping one another and what is your take on it?

The ultimate help is in the Second Great Commandment. To love others as you would yourself.

You would want assistance in your time of need, so too does your neighbour. So do as you would wish done to you.

My take?

One, it is a command, obey The King.
Two, it is profitable for all involved to assist one another.
Three, doing good is a demonstration of bearing good fruit.

Dave hit it perfectly. Glen, when you say 'helping one another' are you talking about those who are saved or those who are not?

I have always liked 1 Corinthians 12
14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, 25 that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

As members of the same body, if one part will not work to help the other parts, it creates a disability and hinders anything the rest of the body does. So in the body of Christ, we have an even greater responsibility to coordinate with the other members of the body.

I have always liked 1 Corinthians 12
14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.

21 The eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you,” nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, 25 that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.

As members of the same body, if one part will not work to help the other parts, it creates a disability and hinders anything the rest of the body does. So in the body of Christ, we have an even greater responsibility to coordinate with the other members of the body.

We have to make sure here that we are talking about the Body of Christ, the true church, and not the institutional church, a creation of man. We have to be careful here that we are talking about body parts and roles as assigned by the Holy Spirit and not as determined and assigned by human beings. We should unite with and should work with the Body of Christ according to the Word of God, according to the Spirit, according to His design and purposes for his church, and in conjunction with the roles the Spirit of God has given us to fulfill.

I see so much talk these days about "unity" in the church but it is not unity with the Spirit or in the Spirit but it is unity with the goals and objectives of human beings who are oftentimes not in unity with Christ and his word at all, or else they are trying to follow both man and God, and both humanistic philosophy and the word of God, trying to blend the two together, and that does not work.

My experience has been that so many people confuse these body parts with assignments of humans and according to human goals and objectives instead of as assigned by the Spirit of God and according to his plan and purpose for his church, the Body. So many times, then, those who are fulfilling their God-given roles within Christ's body are dishonored and even rejected by those who are following the patterns of humans in how to build their churches, instead of allowing Jesus Christ to build his church, his way.

And, so some of the Body is saying to other parts of the body, "We don't need you, because you don't fit into our model for how to do church," and some of them are even being trained to "filter out" those that don't fit into their man-made goals. Yet, praise God, Jesus Christ honors those parts which are dishonored, and he uses them within the Body even despite how the rest of the Body may treat them so that there is no division within the Body. He makes a way where there seems to be no way. Amen!

We should coordinate and cooperate with Christ, with his word, and with his Spirit within us, and then, in the Spirit, we should harmonize with the rest of the Body of Christ in working together, united in the Spirit, in his kingdom work, and in fulfilling the God-given roles we have been assigned for the advancement of the gospel of Jesus Christ and his eternal kingdom work.

Back