What Does The Bible Say About How We Should Dress?

What are some verses that tell use how we should dress? Either as men or women or in general.
I just saw the same post in another forum! I will post the same reply here.

OT has many verses for this. Like women should not wear men's dresses, etc. In NT it simply says people should dress modestly.

What are some verses that tell use how we should dress? Either as men or women or in general.
1 Timothy 2:9-10 (KJV)
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

1 Peter 3:3-4 (KJV)
Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, [even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Deuteronomy 22:11 (KJV)
Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together.

Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so [are] abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Shorts and flip-flops! Not sure if it's in the Bible but that's my vote! [emoji41]

Seriously though, I live at the beach, it's what we wear. Usually not even a shirt or, like right now, a sleeveless T.

You've received the Scriptures here. This may not be of importance to anyone, but perhaps some are wondering how individuals work out dressing modestly as women. This is what I have done.
The church I used to be in taught that women wore no pants or shorts, no jewelry that touched the skin, no makeup and had long hair. When they excommunicated me, I threw out all their teachings and doctrines as much as I could and did my best to start fresh.
Pants, for me, are more modest: they cover more.
I have no expensive clothes, but I like to dress nicely.
Jewelry is not mentioned in the Bible as sinful, so I wear a little sometimes. I do always wear my wedding band on my "torah finger."
I wear makeup when I take the time, which is rare. Dying my hair red helps.
My hair is very short right now, but I'm thinking about growing it a little longer.
No cleavage at all anywhere. . . . EW!!!

But there was a time when I was morbidly obese, so skirt-wearing and blouses that buttoned in the front were often a problem, when it comes to modesty. (I was a fat lady, so please forgive me for calling myself fat.) When a fat lady, wearing a dress or skirt, sits down, bends over, kneels, climbs a ladder, goes up stairs, has to work on a car, etc., there can be modesty problems. So I sought solutions. Wearing pants solved many of those problems. Although I have lost 111 pounds and am now considered thin, I still dress as I did as a fat lady, because I feel more modest. Occasionally, I see a dress and think about getting one, but I've never been able to wear one, because I simply feel over exposed.

1 Timothy 2:9-10 (KJV)
In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

1 Peter 3:3-4 (KJV)
Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But [let it be] the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, [even the ornament] of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Both of these only suggest that you do not dress as a harlot.

Not that any of these fashion choices are bad in and of themselves.

Jesus tells a parable that the kingdom of heaven is like a wedding for his son. As the wedding was starting, the King saw a man not dressed for a wedding, and so that man was thrown in Hell. Yes, Jesus was speaking of spiritual things, but he used a valid physical analogy. Church is a wedding celebration between Jesus (the son) and the Church.

Immodest dress is not modest dress, as the NT instructs.

I hear people say "It's not what's on the outside that counts, it's what's on the inside that counts" (then explain all the nice cars in the church parking lot, if appearances don't matter, you hypocrites!). But, what's on the outside reflects what's on the inside. Those who dress casually for church are self-centred, not God-centered. They dress casually because that's what's most comfortable. They don't dress with respect or reverence, because they have no respect or reverence. They wouldn't even be allowed to dress in jeans at work, yet they were jeans to God's house.

We have a generation of self-centered Christians who want worship services that resemble concerts. That want to be wowed with miraculous signs. They think biblical eschatology is about them, and their generation. That want a preacher that tells them that God loves them just as they are (unrepentant), and that God wants them to be materially prosperous. So, in a country that uncontestably has a Christian supermajority, the percent of professed Christians is plummeting and the Christian culture that our fathers gave us has been turned into a cesspool of immorality and hostility to Christianity.

Yeah, when you come to church in blue jeans, I'm judging you. I'm judging you as self-centered and useless to God.

Our church leaders at one of my churches wear flip-flops or go barefoot, shorts or jeans, and t-shirts. The congregation does the same. As I stated earlier, we live at the beach.

Fig leaves.
Yeahhhh, not appreciated at Catholic mass. Um, so I've heard. Yep, that's it.
smiley-shocked016.gif
smiley-laughing010.gif

Jesus tells a parable that the kingdom of heaven is like a wedding for his son. As the wedding was starting, the King saw a man not dressed for a wedding, and so that man was thrown in Hell. Yes, Jesus was speaking of spiritual things, but he used a valid physical analogy. Church is a wedding celebration between Jesus (the son) and the Church.

Immodest dress is not modest dress, as the NT instructs.

I hear people say "It's not what's on the outside that counts, it's what's on the inside that counts" (then explain all the nice cars in the church parking lot, if appearances don't matter, you hypocrites!). But, what's on the outside reflects what's on the inside. Those who dress casually for church are self-centred, not God-centered. They dress casually because that's what's most comfortable. They don't dress with respect or reverence, because they have no respect or reverence. They wouldn't even be allowed to dress in jeans at work, yet they were jeans to God's house.

We have a generation of self-centered Christians who want worship services that resemble concerts. That want to be wowed with miraculous signs. They think biblical eschatology is about them, and their generation. That want a preacher that tells them that God loves them just as they are (unrepentant), and that God wants them to be materially prosperous. So, in a country that uncontestably has a Christian supermajority, the percent of professed Christians is plummeting and the Christian culture that our fathers gave us has been turned into a cesspool of immorality and hostility to Christianity.

Yeah, when you come to church in blue jeans, I'm judging you. I'm judging you as self-centered and useless to God.
That's terrible! :eek: Your gonna judge someone for wearing jeans to church as self-centered and useless to God? Don't judge the outside but the inside.

Back