What does the Bible say about physical fighting?

I know that fighting is okay in self defense, but what does the Bible say about fighting someone otherwise? I guess the "turn the other cheek" doctrine would probably answer this question though.

Its not hard to see what the bible says. There was fighting throughout the OT. The wicked need to be dealt with. Turning the left cheek is not an instruction to be walked over but rather to love our enemy once they subdued. Ie, no eye for an eye.

Reactions: Juk
Its not hard to see what the bible says. There was fighting throughout the OT. The wicked need to be dealt with. Turning the left cheek is not an instruction to be walked over but rather to love our enemy once they subdued. Ie, no eye for an eye.
The story of Moses and the Egyptian comes to mind.

I have not found any records of Jesus ever fighting.
Ok... I suppose, but how do you imagine this scene transpired:

John 2:14-17 (KJV)
And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.​

Ok... I suppose, but how do you imagine this scene transpired:

John 2:14-17 (KJV)
And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.​
That verse does come to mind, but it does not look like Jesus was fighting in the usual sense.

Ok, not like Rocky Balboa, but the cord surly stung when it landed on someone. They ran away from Him, which they wouldn't have done if not for fear of being hit, or maybe it was used like a snapping sound of a whip and He treated them like horses :D

Ok, not like Rocky Balboa, but the cord surly stung when it landed on someone. They ran away from Him, which they wouldn't have done if not for fear of being hit, or maybe it was used like a snapping sound of a whip and He treated them like horses :D
(y)

I understand your desire to fight, its a guy thing.

No it is a childish thing. I used to want to fight (for no real reason) also but now that I am older I realize how immature and stupid it was.

Fighting for self defense is understandable but having a desire to be in one of those situations is childish.

If you really want to fight, join your wrestling team, or something along those lines, that way you're safe and you get training.

I agree with this but understand that it is not always safe. I participated in many martial arts and have suffered injuries that required surgery. Some dojos train realistically and with it comes risk. Keep that in mind.

Looking back I wish I didn't train as rough as I did. As the body ages it suffers from what you did when you were younger.

Jesus used a whip primarily to get the animals out.
I dont think he intended to hurt those people. He just wanted to get them OUT of the temple.

Jesus was whipped and beaten himself at the crucifixtion. I dont recall him ever hurting anybody physically. Everyone else hurt him.

The number isn't given. Tradition holds 39, but that was Paul's 5 beatings, 2 Cor 11:24. Jesus' number isn't recorded.

I think it was the law at the time, under the Romans, so I guess we have to infer that. Jesus definitely was beaten and scourged enough to make him bleed profusely. 40 lashes was said to be enough to kill a man.

It was under law of Moses as well

Deuteronomy 25:3-5King James Version (KJV)
3 Forty stripes he may give him, and not exceed: lest, if he should exceed, and beat him above these with many stripes, then thy brother should seem vile unto thee.

by his stripes we are healed....

Do you prefer the King James over all other translations?
I grew up with the KJV but every translation will have issues because when one translates (I know Spanish fluently and some Italian) unless you understand the culture behind some of the words, you're not going to get the full, or even an accurate translation. However, God's word is so powerful, even a bad translation will take you to Jesus. Don't fret, even if you knew Greek and Hebrew fluently, both from the bible are ancient compared to their modern counterparts. Languages evolve over time. Think of the slang used just in the USA compared to England or Australia. For this reason the Holy Spirit wrote the word of God on our hearts so we're not pinned to one translation, but to His word. So enjoy whatever version speaks to you and allow the Holy Spirit to teach you. He'll take you to the one you need to get the message :)

No it is a childish thing. I used to want to fight (for no real reason) also but now that I am older I realize how immature and stupid it was

It depends on the terms of the fight for it to be childish. I do agree, if a guy enjoys physical altercation out of malice and does it just for the thrill of a fight, it is childish. But if it is done in a mutual respect (mma/ufc) there is nothing childish about it, it is just simply enjoying a sport you participate in.

That verse does come to mind, but it does not look like Jesus was fighting in the usual sense.
Imagine going into your local street market, which is what the temple had become, and starting to tip all the stalls over.
Just how long would you survive doing that before you had ten hefty men punching your lights out, screwing your face into the ground and sitting on your broken arms?
Doing what he did whilst turning the other cheek would render it impossible for Jesus to take that action in the temple, unless he was powerfully built and violently forceful against their obvious resistance.
And someone please tell me why Jesus didn't just turn the other cheek to their misuse of the temple?

The injunction to turn the other cheek is just an isolated part of what Jesus taught here, yet proud people will always grasp at it as a means of righteousness.
If you look at the whole context, you will realise that Jesus is setting an impossible target entirely aimed at those who thought that righteousness could be gained by perfecting their behaviour.

Those who insist on turning the other cheek, must also to pluck their eye out when they fail, as indeed they will.
Those who believe that righteousness is based on good behaviour must also chop their hand off when they fail, as indeed they will!
If you proclaim turning the other cheek, you must also proclaim bodily mutilation as a penalty for failure. You cannot just take half of Jesus's message.
The lawyers, scribes and Pharisees, the church of that day, all taught a behaviour based righteousness, just like many churches. If you seek your own righteousness by trying to be a perfect person, you forfeit Christ's. Self righteousness, and Christ's righteousness are mutually exclusive notions.

I have pasted some of the main verses from Matthew5, but go and read the whole as a single idea.-

20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven............
...........29If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell..........
....................38“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’h 39But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.40And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.................
..................48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Does anyone here really believe that Jesus was being serious when he told them they had to be even more righteous than the Pharisees, and as perfect as their heavenly Father? Did he expect anyone to succeed? Did he really expect them to start mutilating their own hands and eyes?
Being perfect, or being like God, was the same offer that Satan gave to Adam in the Garden of Eden! Only the self righteous would fall for it.

Imagine going into your local street market, which is what the temple had become, and starting to tip all the stalls over.
Just how long would you survive doing that before you had ten hefty men punching your lights out, screwing your face into the ground and sitting on your broken arms?
Doing what he did whilst turning the other cheek would render it impossible for Jesus to take that action in the temple, unless he was powerfully built and violently forceful against their obvious resistance.
And someone please tell me why Jesus didn't just turn the other cheek to their misuse of the temple?

The injunction to turn the other cheek is just an isolated part of what Jesus taught here, yet proud people will always grasp at it as a means of righteousness.
If you look at the whole context, you will realise that Jesus is setting an impossible target entirely aimed at those who thought that righteousness could be gained by perfecting their behaviour.

Those who insist on turning the other cheek, must also to pluck their eye out when they fail, as indeed they will.
Those who believe that righteousness is based on good behaviour must also chop their hand off when they fail, as indeed they will!
If you proclaim turning the other cheek, you must also proclaim bodily mutilation as a penalty for failure. You cannot just take half of Jesus's message.
The lawyers, scribes and Pharisees, the church of that day, all taught a behaviour based righteousness, just like many churches. If you seek your own righteousness by trying to be a perfect person, you forfeit Christ's. Self righteousness, and Christ's righteousness are mutually exclusive notions.

I have pasted some of the main verses from Matthew5, but go and read the whole as a single idea.-

20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven............
...........29If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell..........
....................38“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’h 39But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.40And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.................
..................48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Does anyone here really believe that Jesus was being serious when he told them they had to be even more righteous than the Pharisees, and as perfect as their heavenly Father? Did he expect anyone to succeed? Did he really expect them to start mutilating their own hands and eyes?
Being perfect, or being like God, was the same offer that Satan gave to Adam in the Garden of Eden! Only the self righteous would fall for it.
Something about Jesus' motive sounds off to me.

I grew up with the KJV but every translation will have issues because when one translates (I know Spanish fluently and some Italian) unless you understand the culture behind some of the words, you're not going to get the full, or even an accurate translation. However, God's word is so powerful, even a bad translation will take you to Jesus. Don't fret, even if you knew Greek and Hebrew fluently, both from the bible are ancient compared to their modern counterparts. Languages evolve over time. Think of the slang used just in the USA compared to England or Australia. For this reason the Holy Spirit wrote the word of God on our hearts so we're not pinned to one translation, but to His word. So enjoy whatever version speaks to you and allow the Holy Spirit to teach you. He'll take you to the one you need to get the message :)
I like the King James as well. I refuse to read any other translation unless it was here on the site.

Back