What Does "torah Observant" Really Mean

It brings to mind the scripture: I did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill the law. (Paraphrased)

I see that the sacrifices show that 'man' needs/needed a way to atone for sin because he/we could not be sinless.

The festivals/feast have been hard for me to comprehend, but I wonder if they don't have meaning for things past/present/and future.

I, myself, don't observe these festivals, but I try and learn them.

I, however, study them in an attempt to grasp them.

I do observe the Sabbath because it was ordained in the beginning.

I prefer to use Hebrews or Israelites as opposed to Jews. To me the term Jews was coined from the tribe of Judah, and doesn't encompass all the Israelites.

To answer your question- The sacrifices are done away with because since Messiahs crucifiction, the Lamb of God, we have Him to atone for sin.

All the rest we should consider.

It brings to mind the scripture: I did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill the law. (Paraphrased)

I see that the sacrifices show that 'man' needs/needed a way to atone for sin because he/we could not be sinless.

The festivals/feast have been hard for me to comprehend, but I wonder if they don't have meaning for things past/present/and future.

I, myself, don't observe these festivals, but I try and learn them.

I, however, study them in an attempt to grasp them.

I do observe the Sabbath because it was ordained in the beginning.

I prefer to use Hebrews or Israelites as opposed to Jews. To me the term Jews was coined from the tribe of Judah, and doesn't encompass all the Israelites.
For those who don't consider or study the calendar, I should take the time to come on here and tell what i know about it....

Thinking....

It's quite involved but extremely interesting and very relevant.

For those who don't consider or study the calendar, I should take the time to come on here and tell what i know about it....

Thinking....

It's quite involved but extremely interesting and very relevant.

I would be interested in reading what you have about the calender. I've heard there are two of them. Yet I have fallen short of looking into them.

I'd also be curious when you feel the day ends and another begins.

More on Torah: The mixed fabric instruction seems to mean something too, like yoking an ox with a donkey that lead me to thoughts of chaos, like the darkness that was on the earth in the beginning, and if it was like the darkness of the plaque on Egypt? Not just an absence of light?

@dUmPsTeR Okay. Thinking....

When I last studied the calendar, I made a 11 X 17 chart of it, including tons of information along with a circular calendar usable every year. Unfortunately, when my computer crashed, I think it destroyed the calendar. However, I have a copy of it on the ceiling of my bed. Perhaps that will help. I will make a separate thread for it and try to make it clear without the illustration of the circular calendar.

By the way, I use only one Hebrew calendar. During Y'shua's time, there was more than one, because of differences in opinions. I have even heard some say that the first day of every calendar is the Weekly Sabbath.

Interestingly, Paul paid for his and some young men's sacrifices for ending their Nazarite vows in Acts 21 (I think it is).

To me, the most important part of being Torah observant, is to listen to the voice of God. Very often he chastises them for not hearing him. I look at the bible as a guide for life, most unclean animals are full of worms and toxins, this is verified by modern science.

I would be interested in reading what you have about the calender. I've heard there are two of them. Yet I have fallen short of looking into them.

I'd also be curious when you feel the day ends and another begins.

More on Torah: The mixed fabric instruction seems to mean something too, like yoking an ox with a donkey that lead me to thoughts of chaos, like the darkness that was on the earth in the beginning, and if it was like the darkness of the plaque on Egypt? Not just an absence of light?
I thought about writing about the calendar, but it is very involved, and there is no way I can reset up the circular calendar from home; I would have to do it from work. I fear my just writing about the calendar without it would be tedious for the reader.

I can write, in answer to your question, that according to the Bible, days begin and end at sunset. Hebrew days do not normally have names like our English ones, as I am sure you know. They, with the exception of Sabbath have numbers. So, for example, the "first day of the week" or "day one" begins immediately after what we call Sabbath or Shabbat (seventh day, Saturday) sunset.

Here's how it works: Sabbath (Shabbat) begins on what we commonly call Friday evening, immediately after sunset. Sabbath is called "The Bride," the "Queen" of all days. Sabbath is the absolute center of all observances: everything throughout the week is built upon it, points toward it. The work-week begins on the first day of the week. Work begins there in preparation for Shabbat, with an eye on Shabbat. And as the week progresses, the excitement builds as we near Shabbat! Preparation day finally arrives, and everything is thrown into gear, to bring ourselves to Shabbat! The challah https://www.google.com/webhp?source...81US586&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=challah photo is baked, the table dressed, https://www.google.com/webhp?source...6&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=sabbath+table+photo and the people of the household and guests are gathered. All usually stand until the ladies of the house open the holy day with prayer.

After this, the father or male prays the Sabbath prayers and blesses those seated there. But especially, the father blesses the family's children, arms embracing them individually, praying a specific, individual prayer for each child. Such a prayer for a child might be something like,
"HaShem, this is my first-born, our first, the child of my strength and youth. Look upon his own strengths as he grows, as he takes up important responsibilities in the family. We are told to raise our children in the way he should go, and we have seen his bent to be in the sciences. Teach us to guide him in those strengths and talents, and help his teachers to .... .... ....
"Adonai, our daughter. Our first daughter. I bless You for her kind heart and her gentle ways .... .... ....
"HaShem, this is my third-born, our middle child, the child of my heart .... .... .... HaShem, guide her ways back to You .... .... ....

The first example of dealing with the days is in the first chapter of Genesis, when the Bible says, over and over, "evening and morning were" the first day, the second day, etc. Another example of dealing with both the Sabbath and the first day is in Acts when Eutychis fell out of the window because he fell asleep while Paul spoke long after Sabbath was over, going on into the first day. It was and is common, however, for the celebration of Sabbath to continue into the first day of the week, ending @ midnight or earlier on the first day.

Have you noticed that they are showing more Jewish-themed movies on TV now? Have you wondered why, or have you checked your calendar to see why? When a major biblical holy day is coming up, you'll see more of such movies.

So what biblical holy day is coming? Well, for now, it's not just a day: it's a whole month. The month is commonly called "Elul," or the sixth month of the year, as counted from the first month, Nissan. http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/monthly.html?year=2014&month=9&country=34

In the OP, we Messianics were asked: "How do YOU interpret the meaning of "Torah Observant" to carry through in your life....." The sixth month is set aside for us to do some deep thinking about ourselves with regard to how we have lived the past year. Have we lived a decent, consistently holy life? Have we been fair? Have we been kind? Have we paid our debts as good stewards of G-d's gifts? Have we helped others the best we could? We have a full month -- a 29-day month -- of introspection. Dig deep. Don't try to slip by with anything because HaShem, (Hebrew, The Name, our G-d) is our Judge, and He knows all. Nothing can be hidden from Him, so don't try.

Through the sixth month, we not only look deeply into our actions and intentions, but we go to anyone who has been wronged and straighten it out; we not only visit our debts, but we pay our debts. Some may say that they do this daily, not just on a particular month of the year. Yes, that is the minimum expectation for all of us, but during this month, we take it even deeper. And nothing is too small to get our complete attention.

Today (it's after sunset here) is the 10th day of this month of introspection. Only 2.5 weeks to the new month, the seventh month, commonly called Tishri. The 7th month brings on major biblical holy days from its beginning.

Ever wondered why Jews and Messianics (mainly men) wear that little beanie-looking hat I usually call it a kippa (pronounced "key-puh"). Some call it a yarmulka. In English, it's spelled kipa, kippa, kippah, yarmulke, yarmulkuh, yarmulkah, koppel, kopple, and other ways. In the States, more than one can be kippas or yarmulkas or koppels, but really, the plural sound of kippa should be "key-pote" (spelled kippot).

Originally, kippot were intended only for men, but with the influx of women wanted to have the same privileges as men, some women wear them. Some women wear them, most of the time as such a very feminized version of the kippah as one made of pearls, woven wire, beads, or crochet that looks more feminine.

In such formal places as synagogues, courts, funerals, and churches, a man will remove his hat out of respect, but a man never removes his kippa to show respect in any place at anytime. Why? Because the only legitimate reason for wearing a kippa in the first place is to show respect for G-d, Who is above all others, at all times, in all circumstances.

Some Jewish men who have become interested in Y'shua-Jesus have gone to churches in order to learn about Him. In some of those churches, there have been people who have asked the men to remove their "hats" in the church. When informed of the purpose of the kippa, some church people have insisted that the kippa be removed, or the man must leave the building. Wrong. SO wrong. That should never, ever happen. I could write why, but you are smart enough to figure it out. Just think about it a little bit.

Just in case you wonder about the many spellings of kippa and other Hebrew words, that's just what happens when a word from one language is transliterated into English (or other languages). Y'shua, too, may be spelled Yeshua and other ways. This also happens to the names of the Hebrew months.

Hannukah. There's an interesting one. Chanukah, Channuka, and more. BUT Hanukah and Chanuka are both wrong. Hmmm. Why? Because for this word to be spelled right, it has to have eight letters. No kidding! Because of the eight candles -- plus the shamash (servant or attendant candle) -- on the channukiah -- https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...v&sa=X&ei=VIYLVOvDA8eBiwLkzIGABA&ved=0CCwQsAQ .

Back