What exactly is a Christian?

I believe that my birthday gift from God was the discovery of the book of Galatians 3, which talks about the importance of faith and the fact that the law is no longer in effect. This got me wondering, because this is a problem I have been struggling with for a while: what exactly is a Christian? I don't want your personal definition, I want the Bible's definition.

I know that a Christian lives by faith in Jesus Christ, and that they must have the Holy Spirit. But God seems to be impersonal, since we must rely on faith. It seems like God does not interfere with our personal lifes, though I know that he does, at least with some.

All of this has me a bit confused. So what is a Christian? How does the Bible define a Christian?

Mark 12:30-31New International Version (NIV)

30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a]31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.”

Reactions: Juk
I still do want to hear what you have to say though.
Living as a Christian is: have faith in God...in His Word and do what He tells you to do. It really is that simple.

How that is achieved in practice is not that simple because our flesh and the Enemy will fight you on this and fight you hard. The more we walk by the Spirit the easier it is. This is something we grow into. The process of letting the Spirit form Christ in us takes place daily. The more we resist it the harder it is because God will not force us and over run our will for this to take place. On the other hand the more we submit the easier it is because the Spirit works in us to empower us.

Thank you all for all of your responses. Now, please tell me, what do I have to do?

Well, juk......you dont "have" to do anything.
See, Christianity isn't about being forced into "do this", but "dont do that", type of behavior- mentality.
As a matter of fact, that is exactly what Christianity isnt.
See, Jesus came to set you free,....he didnt come to chain you down.
Christianity is instead all about a love relationship between you and God and Christ.

So, maybe the best answer i can give you is this.....
In any marriage, for it to be a success, you just need to follow one simple plan.
Find out what your mate loves and do that, and find out what they hate, and dont do that......and be faithful.
And, So it is with God.....you just do what you know in your heart makes Him happy, and to the best of your ability dont do what you feel in your heart would make him unhappy.
Follow your heart in him, listen to your conscience, and you'll be fine:)

A good way to keep this going, to have this working for you, is to begin every single day, with some bible reading.
I'd suggest the Gospel of John.

K
<><

Well, juk......you dont "have" to do anything.
See, Christianity isn't about being forced into "do this", but "dont do that", type of behavior- mentality.
As a matter of fact, that is exactly what Christianity isnt.
See, Jesus came to set you free,....he didnt come to chain you down.
Christianity is instead all about a love relationship between you and God and Christ.

So, maybe the best answer i can give you is this.....
In any marriage, for it to be a success, you just need to follow one simple plan.
Find out what your mate loves and do that, and find out what they hate, and dont do that......and be faithful.
And, So it is with God.....you just do what you know in your heart makes Him happy, and to the best of your ability dont do what you feel in your heart would make him unhappy.

A good way to keep this going, to have this working for you, is to begin every single day, with some bible reading.
I'd suggest the Gospel of John.

K
<><
Thank you :)

Living as a Christian is: have faith in God...in His Word and do what He tells you to do. It really is that simple.

How that is achieved in practice is not that simple because our flesh and the Enemy will fight you on this and fight you hard. The more we walk by the Spirit the easier it is. This is something we grow into. The process of letting the Spirit form Christ in us takes place daily. The more we resist it the harder it is because God will not force us and over run our will for this to take place. On the other hand the more we submit the easier it is because the Spirit works in us to empower us.
Thank you :)

K
<><

You tell Juk to find out what makes God happy and do that and find out what makes Him unhappy and don't do that. Then you tell him to follow his heart and do what feels right in his heart and do it.
That's the opposite of each other.

Don't confuse him. If you are going to make two opposing statements you need to clarify what you mean or you confuse someone that is new in their walk.

Jesus says love one another, as I have loved you.
Now think what Jesus did to love others, how he treated people. He said he laid his life down for his friends. How was he friends with people?
Well one thing was he ate with them. People accused him of eating with publicans and sinners. Jews were known for being snobby about eating and sharing with others unlike themselves.
What else? He shared with those less fortunate them himself. He had compassion for their suffering.

Now think what Jesus did to love others, how he treated people. He said he laid his life down for his friends. How was he friends with people?
Well one thing was he ate with them. People accused him of eating with publicans and sinners. Jews were known for being snobby about eating and sharing with others unlike themselves.
What else? He shared with those less fortunate them himself. He had compassion for their suffering.
So, sharing is a big thing. I also remember Jesus saying, "Do not deny those that ask of you".

You tell Juk to find out what makes God happy and do that and find out what makes Him unhappy and don't do that. Then you tell him to follow his heart and do what feels right in his heart and do it.
That's the opposite of each other.

Don't confuse him. If you are going to make two opposing statements you need to clarify what you mean or you confuse someone that is new in their walk.

The easiest way to put it is like this......Be Christ Like. can't go wrong there now can you Mykuhl ; )
OBTW Big smile
Blessings
Jim

Amen and here is another one saying simply be Christ like...You getten this Juk ? ; )

So, sharing is a big thing. I also remember Jesus saying, "Do not deny those that ask of you".
Give and it will be given back unto you shall men give unto you...... Cant go wrong there....Just do not put a time line or what it has to be , for God seems to give back in the place we need it most at the time.
:)

Amen and here is another one saying simply be Christ like...You getten this Juk ? ; )
Yeah, I'm getting this. Even though I haven't gotten back to school again, I am starting to think that being loving, forgiving, and not complaining is what brings the true joy and peace. I think I was looking in the wrong place. Maybe the joy cones from following God's Word cheerfully.

Yeah, I'm getting this. Even though I haven't gotten back to school again, I am starting to think that being loving, forgiving, and not complaining is what brings the true joy and peace. I think I was looking in the wrong place. Maybe the joy cones from following God's Word cheerfully.

Now Mr Juk I do declair you might just be getten this after all. lol
Truth be told my friend, You are getting wiser by the day and I am so proud of you.
Keep up the Good Work and Keep on Growing in Christ.
Blessings my Brother
Jim

Back